2Likes
  • 2 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Garage
Removing aftermarket A/C

Has anyone ever removed an aftermarket A/C system?

I bought my 69 Camaro about 90% finished from a friend of a friend. The gentleman had cancer and was physically unable to finish the car.

Since I picked it up, I've been trying to personalize the car to make it more mine. Once of the modifications he installed was a Vintage Air system. I'm about 99% sure that I won't ever use this system. My car is a weekend cruiser that sees about 750 miles a year if that. When I do drive it, it's usually to a local car show or cruise night and I don't ever use the A/C.

Not to down the guys who have A/C but it's worthless to me. Honestly, it's a Musclecar and to me it should be driven with the windows down and the music cranked. I love to listen to the sound of the exhaust and feel the experience of driving a big block, stick shift Musclecar.

One of my winter upgrades is to swap out to a slightly hotter cam, convert to either an FI Tech or Holley Sniper fuel injection system and go with a serpentine belt set up. None of these upgrades include having A/C. In fact if I removed the system and sold it, some of the money from the system would go towards all the upgrades.

I've never installed or removed an A/C system and I'm curious if it's worth the hassle or should I just keep it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 05:01 AM
John

Garage
Re: Removing aftermarket A/C

Removing it is easy. Gathering up and installing an original style heater box and all the ductwork, cables and controls not so easy

If you ever decided to sell the car having rhe AC will add value.
MangeMD and 1968RallySport like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Agree it's easy to remove. Hard to believe you won't use it in PA given that humidity.

Find out what brand it is and download the instructions and follow them in reverse. Stock AC is another story.

Ed

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 06:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I wouldn't remove it but if you do you might be able to find someone here to trade stock parts for the AC components.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

I removed a Vintage Air system from my 67 just a couple of months ago.

As said, it wasn't too difficult. In my case I was clearing out the center dash panel anyway, so that made it a bit easier. I'm also rewiring the entire car as well. All of my V/A wiring was simple to unplug from the existing harness, so even that did not get ugly.

I won't be putting in the factory heater assembly for a while. I'll do that when I take the front end body panels off the car to strip and paint.

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdoller View Post
Agree it's easy to remove. Hard to believe you won't use it in PA given that humidity.

Find out what brand it is and download the instructions and follow them in reverse. Stock AC is another story.

Ed
Yes we have bad humidity here but most of my driving with the car is so local that I just can't justify putting the A/C on. I don't really do long trips in the car and I'm concerned with the possibility of overheating should I run the A/C with local driving.

Most likely I will leave the system intact. I have no plans to sell the car other than some sort of financial emergency so I'm not necessarily worried about a resale value.

I was mostly thinking out loud gauging opinions.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 07:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMW468 View Post
Yes we have bad humidity here but most of my driving with the car is so local that I just can't justify putting the A/C on. I don't really do long trips in the car and I'm concerned with the possibility of overheating should I run the A/C with local driving.

Most likely I will leave the system intact. I have no plans to sell the car other than some sort of financial emergency so I'm not necessarily worried about a resale value.

I was mostly thinking out loud gauging opinions.
Good call. I was just gonna say...don't turn it on. I drive the hell out of my 68 ragtop including to work in the summer. But when it's 90+ doesn't work too well especially when wearing a button down and tie.

So I'm contemplating Vintage Air as next year's project. Good luck and enjoy that ride!

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode