'67 convertible in TX - Will AC help? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 17, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Alex

'67 convertible in TX - Will AC help?

Hi - I have a '67 convertible w/427, recently moved from CA where AC wasn't required. In the Austin, TX heat it's just too hot during the summer w/o AC for me to enjoy.

Looking to hear from others with 1st gens on whether having AC (Vintage Air or Classic Auto?) will provide enough cool air to enjoy my drive during 95+ days.

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 17, 06:16 PM
Team Member
Don

Re: '67 convertible in TX - Will AC help?

I put Vintage Air in my wife's 69 vert and it does a pretty good job of cooling the car. We usually don't use the car if it is above 100 but below 100 it seems fine. Car has a white top.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 17, 06:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

No offense to the OP at all, but it's funny how accustomed we have become to the creature comforts offered in modern cars. I can recall packing five high school age guys into my mid-70's Camaro and driving down to Florida with no AC. I also spent a year of college in southern Louisiana with the heater stuck ON (I corrected this in short order ). Of course, 100+ degrees, and driving a car at my current age are a completely different story.

I think most of the modern aftermarket AC systems do an adequate job of cooling the car. White top would probably help, but more important might be good airflow across the condenser and possibly more insulation in the floorboards and firewall to keep out engine heat. Good luck staying cool down there!

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 17, 04:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi Alex

First, my Heart and Prayers go out to All affected by Hurricane Harvey, My Wife's Family are in the Tomball area of Houston. They are OK.

There was a similar question earlier this Month - About Putting A/C in a First Gen.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/28-hea...69-non-ac.html

It has some Info and Pics along with other Members input.
Systems are almost a Pick your Favorite, I went with the Classic Auto Air system.

No I do not have a Convertible, but I do have the BB and Headers - Big Heat Soak coming from the Engine/ Headers and I put the Heat barrier/ Sound Proofing and a New Jute Pad on top of that - I can still feel the Heat coming up from the Floor.

Where I was in a position having my car completely gutted, I chose to add the Creature Comfort of Air Conditioning.
Some of the Stocker's/ OEM cars like the 375 HP's and Z-28's and Original with out Air are in for that Original 70's Fresh Air Feel and the 8's and 9's have the Astro Vents, which do work really well until it gets really Hot and Humid.

And there is one other benefit of A/C, When the windows get Foggy, I turn it on and they Clear up, I have been caught in a Shower/ Downpour and I do drive my Car thru the Year as long as the Roads are Clear, No Ice or Salt, and it can get pretty Cold and Damp here in CT.
Good Luck

Timmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro Heater Box AC Mock up 003.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	190962  

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
air conditioning, convertible

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode