• 1 Post By Everett#2390
  • 1 Post By Bad67355

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 17, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage
Temperature Sender

How can you test the sender to make sure it is working properly i have the temp warning
light shouldn't the light come on when the key is turned to run? I tried grounding the
wire with the key in run and the light comes on but when i hook the wire to the sender
it does not light up with key in run any light shed on this would be appreciated thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 355sbc 11.76et @ 116mph 1.67 60' Deluxe Parchment interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 17, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Temperature Sender

To determine if it works you can remove the sender and test it by immersing it in boiling water while noting the resistance value as the sender heats up. It should drop as it heats up.

There are several different senders offered by GM that have different resistance values and offered as for gauges or idiot lights. They all interchange, even though they have different terminals (T, spade or round terminal). Yours may not be the correct one for your application.

Big Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 17, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
To determine if it works you can remove the sender and test it by immersing it in boiling water while noting the resistance value as the sender heats up. It should drop as it heats up.

There are several different senders offered by GM that have different resistance values and offered as for gauges or idiot lights. They all interchange, even though they have different terminals (T, spade or round terminal). Yours may not be the correct one for your application.

Big Dave
I have the spade terminal for warning lights it is the correct one i just thought the light
comes on when key is in run position it's actually coming on when the key is just
about to crank the engine over just trying to figure out if i have something wrong or not?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 17, 11:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I'm just thinking out loud, but maybe the Overheat/Temp dash light doesn't come on with a cold engine? Its supposed to trigger if the temp gets _too_ high... whatever that level is. Plus you never mentioned whether you have factory, aftermarket, or no analog gauges. So you actually have two questions:

1. How do I test my water temp sending unit to see if its working (Dave answered that)?

2. Should the water temp dash warning light go on with a cold engine when you turn the key to the "ON" position?

AFAIK... unless you have two senders, you can't drive a analog water temp gauge and the warning light with a single sender.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 17, 12:32 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Yes idiot lights are supposed to light momentarily when you turn the key to on. This is to reassure you that the idiot lights are indeed working.

Big Dave
69-Pace likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 17, 10:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

I'm not sure if your car is the same as mine. I've got a 69. My oil and gen light come on when I turn my key to run. When I turn the key further towards the crank position but not yet cranking the temp light comes on. I know my temp light works properly because it comes on every time I stop for gas and re start the engine until a little coolant circulates.
69-Pace likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Straight from 1967 Owner's Manual and I'm sure later years follow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0298.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	191282  
Bad67355 and 69-Pace like this.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 01:58 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

And as a clarification on bench testing senders (for gauges) and switches (for warning lights) - Senders sends a wide range of Ohm's so the gauge sweeps from cold to hot.

Switches are programed to be open (off) until temperature reaches critical mass then the switch closes (on) and provides ground to the light if I remember right. Am I remembering that right Everett?

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Am I remembering that right Everett?
Yes.
69-Pace likes this.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 17, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
And as a clarification on bench testing senders (for gauges) and switches (for warning lights) - Senders sends a wide range of Ohm's so the gauge sweeps from cold to hot.

Switches are programed to be open (off) until temperature reaches critical mass then the switch closes (on) and provides ground to the light if I remember right. Am I remembering that right Everett?
Thank you that's the answer I was looking for on how the sender actually worked being it was also grounded
all the time. Everything is working correctly thanks to everyone for helping.
69-Pace likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode