Incredible Radiator Hose Find!! - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 17, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Incredible Radiator Hose Find!!

I have a 68 with a short Weiand pump, small but very thick Modine radiator and a 454. I have been sinking into despair about the lower hose. I went to OReilly and bought 5 hoses thinking I could find a couple to hack into pieces and use with a piece of pipe to make a hose that would fit. Not much luck. Been looking over the internet, thought about going to my exhaust guy for some kind of weirdo bent pipe I could attach the rubber end pieces to.
Went to Auto Zone last night and bought 4 likely candidates and I'll be darned....one bolted right up after trimming 6 inches off the radiator side.
I'm so happy! The motor is now finished, got 5 gallons of water in it and ready to fire off tomorrow after work. I'll have a couple weeks to tune and fix anything before my club's Dyno Challenge.
I was really beginning to think the lower hose solution would end up costing way more than it should and take weeks to solve; even to the point of buying another radiator.
There is so little room for a hose to fit. The one that did is a Dayco 71215 for a ford truck.
I am posting mainly in case anyone else needs a weirdo hose to fit. Also because I am so very happy to have a major trouble spot taken care of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower Hose.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	194826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower Hose2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	194834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished left side.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	194842  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished right side.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	194850  
pittpens24 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 17, 06:48 PM
Team Member
Don

Re: Incredible Radiator Hose Find!!

The forum fan patrol is going to bust you for that flex fan with no shroud...

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 17, 07:59 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

I'd stand way away from that fan while doing a dyno test ifin I were you. Flex fans are downright dangerous at high rpm.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 17, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Nice find, and good innovation.
Looks nice. Be sure in writing part number in your log book for future use.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 17, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
1Slow64

Git rid of that flex fan and put an electric fan on.

My 69 X66 project.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 17, 01:58 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Congrats on the hose find

I had an issue with a swap to electric WP. Ssssooooo I cut and taped pieces of my old ones together, then off to the parts store....Lucky for me, an older guy seen me come in and just walked me back to the hose section, told me good luck, any problems shout.

Didn't take too long to find what I needed, and yes, a little trimming, then perfect

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 17, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Is radiator too short in height?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 17, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

That flex fan is a baloney slicer. It has my respect and then some. I'll get a shroud later.
Cranked it up, base timing, ran and watched the water temp and it is over heating big time. The thermostat is definitely opening, the radiator is passing water but not in the volumn I'd like. Heater hoses getting hot as is the by-pass. When I shut it off the radiator does its volcano impression. Life is fun.
Running that sucker with open headers in the garage was a trip.
I have a feeling that several year old Weiand pump is underperforming.
Tomorrow I will re-torque the heads and take the water pump off and inspect it again.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 17, 07:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Very good cnance that a clutch fan and shroud will cure your overheating issue.
dyno jonn likes this.

Lynn
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 17, 05:05 AM
Team Member
Don

Back in my youth I ran without a shroud and had constant overheating at idle. Added a shroud and the problem was solved. Been a believer in the importance of fan shrouds since.

Iíve got a shroud and clutch fan I pulled off my wifeís 69 factory AC car that you are welcome to.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 17, 04:30 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Remember the fan should be half in, half out, for the best air flow performance

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 17, 05:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Has anyone mentioned that flex fan yet?

On another note I believe my L6 250's lower hose was just about identical to that when I was done. Had to go through the same stuff. Took about 4 tries to find one that worked. Luckily I had a great relationship with the guys at AutoZone and they let me take several to try.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 17, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Back in my youth I ran without a shroud and had constant overheating at idle. Added a shroud and the problem was solved. Been a believer in the importance of fan shrouds since.

Iíve got a shroud and clutch fan I pulled off my wifeís 69 factory AC car that you are welcome to.

Don
That is a very generous offer Don and really appreciated. I'm in Mesquite, east of Dallas a little bit and that's quite a drive though.
I started to put a clutch fan on this motor but this radiator is so short I had to go to a 16" flex fan to fit so I didn't chop radiator hoses. I picked up this Modine radiator 20 years ago I bet. It has 4 one inch rows. I will put a new water pump on the motor tomorrow and move the fan an inch closer to the radiator. The only fault I can find is that the water is not moving through the radiator very fast. Kinda dribbling through the rows. If this doesn't do it then I'll have to change radiators. And get a shroud. And maybe some electric fans.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 17, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Old water pump was most of the problem. But water still isn't passing through the radiator like it should. Temp ran up to 200 then apparently the thermostat opened for it dropped to 150 then stayed under 180 for quite awhile until finally running up to 220 and staying there. That flex fan and lack of shroud is not moving much air.
Water still isn't running through the radiator like it should. Wondering if most of it isn't just going through the bypass. Gonna pull the thermostat tomorrow and see what happens, maybe try to fit a clutch fan I've got laying around.
I still haven't been able to road test it. No plates, inspection, mufflers......sounds bitchin' with the open headers though. Very crisp.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 17, 05:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Mickey,
Beautiful engine! Open headers in the garage - wow, how's those ears? This comment is off topic, but I noticed in one of your photos you've got your vacuum advance tied to ported vacuum. There has been a lot of discussion over the past year here on the forum about the advantages of full manifold vacuum to the VAC. As you fine-tune that new beast, switching to full manifold vacuum might be something to try at some point. The switch from ported to manifold sure made a big difference in the drivability of my car. Apologies for drifting off your intended topic.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode