AC Delete, Vintage Ait, Old Air, Classic Auto Air - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 17, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Eric

AC Delete, Vintage Ait, Old Air, Classic Auto Air

Hi everyone. I have a 68 Camaro 396 BB with factory R12 ac. Wondering if anyone has used the American Graffiti AC Delete Box with a Vintage Air, Classic Auto Air or an Old Air system? I am considering changing from factory air cause of access to the rear passenger spark plug and the rear manifold bolt and the fact that I can't get the factory ac to work right. I have everything out at the moment and don't want to do this again.

I am worried by replacing the evaporator, condenser, poa and expansion valve I could still have the same problem as before (temps don't get below 60 degrees and system seemed to be struggling after running a while, pressures were 33-35 psi lo and 250-275 hi). I started by replacing the expansion valve and POA valve but the same problem persisted. Now I am at the condenser and evaporator. Everything was new that has or is getting replaced but was installed on the car for 10 years before I charged the system for the 1st time this summer. Guess cathodic corrosion could have occurred but I don't know how this works on a car. My frustration is I had to remove the fender to remove the evaporator because I couldn't get to the rear bolt on the exhaust manifold to drop the manifold and remove the engine side of the suitcase. Reason I want to consider using the ac delete box if I change systems is because I think it would give the firewall in that area with the ac suitcase removed a little better look than just a flat firewall. I thought I saw something about this on this site before but I can't seam to find it. Can anyone help with this? Your comments and thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 06:47 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: AC Delete, Vintage Ait, Old Air, Classic Auto Air

Not an A/c expert but maybe the fresh air door actuator at the passenger side intake has failed, or the vacuum tank under the drivers fender is rusted out, or the rubber hose dry-rotted and you are never getting a seal to conditioned air only?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 09:24 AM
Senior Tech
jeff

Most A/C units cool with about a 20* spread. What I mean by that is, if it's 90* in your car you will have about 70* air coming out of your vents. As the car cools down the air from the A/C vents will also cool down. If your car gets down to 60* it's doing really well. I would need a jacket to keep warm.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Eric

69 Pace, I got all the vacuum actuated doors working correctly. I also disconnected my heater lines with a bypass. Now that the evaporator is removed I can see that the door that moves when you switch from cold to hot and vice versa is not 100% blocking off air to or from the heater core. There's probably a 1" gap so unconditioned air is mixing with the conditioned air. I will see if I can adjust the cable some to eliminate this gap.

JKURO, I live along the gulf coast. If we can't get our auto ac units to blow air below 60 - 70 degrees, we are in trouble. My 71 pickup (134a) blows 45 degrees on a 100 degree day. I'm thinking the Camaro with R12 should at least make this temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode