a/c vacuum removal - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
rolo

a/c vacuum removal

Hey guys i'm working on my 69 camaro convertible factory a/c car. My question is will the a/c work without the vacuum components. Will i be able to control the levels and temperture without having all the vacuum stuff. The reason I am asking is because all the vacuum stuff is missing. It won't be driven much but just concerned that I will be able to have a/c from the dash when needed and heat from the defrost when needed. Thanks

"Foolish" 69 Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 17, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage
Re: a/c vacuum removal

One of the vacuum lines shuts off hot water from the water pump to the heater core. You don't want hot water going through the heater core while running your AC. But, you also don't want to eliminate the heater hose entirely, otherwise you wont have heat. The valve is vacuum operated. Get one and install it in the heater hose. Then run a vacuum line from the intake to the valve. Depending on whether you want heat or AC, just disconnect the vacuum line from the intake and the valve will open or close accordingly. (If you do this, don't forget to block the intake vacuum port.)

Another vacuum line opens and closes a valve that is located under the cowl panel on the p/s. It determines whether you have outside air in the system or inside air. (For example, for max AC and max heat, you want inside air.) You can close the valve in which ever direction gives you that option, and jury-rig some way of keeping it that way.

Honestly, the best way to get what you want is to replace the missing stuff with the right stuff. It's not very expensive. You've already got all the expensive stuff, like the AC compressor, evaporator core, dryer, condensor, etc, etc.

There's a good chance you still have that valve under the cowl panel, the vacuum canister under the d/s front fender, and the hot water shut off valve. Someone just got lazy and didn't hook it all up. Another plus is that even if you are missing a couple of these items, you've already got the mounting holes threaded and firewall holes punched.

It may seem complicated but refer to the assembly manual for pictures. The guys on here will also provide you with pictures and explanations.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 17, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
rolo

Thanks for the info Arocars. It is my uncle's car that I am putting back together for him. Another reason I was thinking about eliminating the vacuum stuff was because he wants to put speakers in the kick panels. I am really considering installing the original stuff back on and letting the stereo guy worry about making a stereo system that works good. Thanks again

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 17, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

AC cars could come with kick panel speakers from the factory, so it shouldn't be a problem for you to do both.

Arocars is right. Complete the vacuum controls, it isn't difficult.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

I found that kick panel speakers were a waste of time. I couldn't hear them unless I turned the bias way up.

Next go around, I'm going with an upgraded single speaker in the middle of the dash and dual 6x9's in the package tray. Based on past experience, it will sound better.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 08:11 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

I too use a dual dash speaker and rear pair for better sound.

I would only consider kick panel speakers for a convertible (which I've done in the past), but the sound is not as good as a coupe with the above arrangement. I know there was a factory option for rear speakers with convertible, but it's all but useless with the top down (which covers the speakers).

Some folks carve huge holes in the doors or rear seat sides to place additional speakers, but I could never mar a Deluxe interior like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode