• 1 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 18, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Vintage Air wiring

Looking for options on wire routing for Vintage Air. I was thinking passenger inner fender to fuse box like I have most other wires. Only problem (maybe not even a problem) is the in-line circuit breaker will be hidden and not accessible once I install the wires. Thoughts, doubts, comments ?? Thx.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 18, 08:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Vintage Air wiring

Subscribed... I'm doing the VA install later this winter and want to see what others are doing. Did you get the fender/liner off easily enough?

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 18, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vette View Post
Subscribed... I'm doing the VA install later this winter and want to see what others are doing. Did you get the fender/liner off easily enough?
I didn't have to take the fender off believe it or not. I ran the heater hoses, 3 AC hoses, and several wires through the fender well. I'm just beginning to run my Vintage Air wiring through their as well. The only thing I wasn't sure which way to go is mount the circuit breaker (in-line with harness) under the dash or hide it in the fender well. If I hide it in the inner fender well it will leave less slack of wire under the dash, which is really what I was looking for. If you need any pics let me know. I could post them.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 18, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Looking for options on wire routing for Vintage Air. I was thinking passenger inner fender to fuse box like I have most other wires. Only problem (maybe not even a problem) is the in-line circuit breaker will be hidden and not accessible once I install the wires. Thoughts, doubts, comments ?? Thx.
A lot of wiring from companies never know what obstacles there may be with the installation so they package it so it becomes more of a universal fit in that it might fit a lot but not work in all situations like yours.

Some wiring provided by companies like Vintage Air assume the power wire will only need to reach to a fuse block or a source of power that might only be 3' away but then some installs require the power wire to be longer and in the case of your issue is that you need to put the circuit breaker as close as you can to the source of power AND have it in a place that it is accessible and serviceable.

If on your harness for the Vintage Air it has the circuit breaker in a poor location then place the breaker where you would like it to be so you can get at it AND then have it as close as you can to the source of power.

Now on the output or protected side of the breaker, extend from that point to where it needs to reconnect to the system. You will though have to use the same gauge or larger wire and never use a smaller wire as a fuse or breaker is sized to protect the wire.

Now with the breaker close to the source of power, if any short occurs past the breaker, the wire is protected.

Jim
DT likes this.

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 18, 11:33 AM
Team Member
Don

Donít be afraid to cut the wire and install a new terminal lug to locate it where you want it. It is not user resettable so no big deal if it is not easily accessible imho....

Don
DT likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 18, 11:56 AM
John

Garage
Quote:
I didn't have to take the fender off believe it or not. I ran the heater hoses, 3 AC hoses, and several wires through the fender well. I'm just beginning to run my Vintage Air wiring through their as well. The only thing I wasn't sure which way to go is mount the circuit breaker (in-line with harness) under the dash or hide it in the fender well. If I hide it in the inner fender well it will leave less slack of wire under the dash, which is really what I was looking for. If you need any pics let me know. I could post them.
How did you get the stock heater box and fan out?
DT likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 18, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Thank you guys for the replies. John I was able to remove the heater box without taking the fender off. Only a couple of curse words. LOL

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 18, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Also, can I use the accessory terminal on the GMPP fuse box ?? That is protected with a 50 amp fuse. Or should I just use the Batt lug terminal ??

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 18, 01:46 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Also, can I use the accessory terminal on the GMPP fuse box ?? That is protected with a 50 amp fuse. Or should I just use the Batt lug terminal ??
I would use the battery lug terminal. No need to double protect the line imho. Keep in mind that the VA instructions explicitly state that the wire must be connected directly to the battery for electrical noise immunity.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 18, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
It depends on what you are powering off of that terminal and if what is wired to that terminal are on or off.

On the above drawing you have a stud that is an accessory output and is fused at 50A.

If one were to draw 30A off of that terminal and it is for powering the Vintage Air, then technically this leaves an additional draw of 20A or less on that terminal that one could use for something else. So if you have a 30A draw, this taken away from 50A leaves 20A.

Now with that said, you could have different scenario's such as having the draw for the Vintage Air being off and now instead of a 30A draw you have 0A draw and now something else on that stud could draw up to 50A BUT if one were to still have the 50A draw on that terminal and then you switched ON the Vintage Air, then the total amperage draw would exceed the 50A rated fuse.

Also too, on the Vintage Air with them including a 30A breaker does not mean when it is on it is actually drawing that kind of amperage. It might spike when first turned on to 40A but then settles down to something like 20A even though you have the 30A breaker, the breaker is in place to protect the wire and the wire has to be large enough.

Since I do not know exactly what size breaker the Vintage Air uses, I just picked a random size of 30A. The breaker could be of another value so one just has to do the math once more things are known.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 18, 01:59 PM
John

Garage

I use the GMPP terminal
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 18, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Thanks again guys. Jim you are spot on, itís a 30 amp breaker. I will use the GMPP Batt lug terminal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode