• 1 Post By X-77 keith
  • 1 Post By 57vette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 18, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Overflow tank for ‘69 RS?

Just curious what others have used, I’m going to start messing with my RS grill conversion and also the Vintage Air install. I figure a puke tank is a good idea for a BBC that doesn’t like traffic and I occasionally see temps at 210-220 degrees.

I remember Timmy put some kind of Nova or Chevy II tank in his car but forget whether he’s dealing with hideaway headlights.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 18, 08:41 AM
Team Member
Don

Re: Overflow tank for ‘69 RS?

Here is the Nova tank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OER-Radiato...IAAOSwX3FbA75n

Don
57vette likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 18, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Overflow tank for 69 RS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Thanks Don... I think thats the one Timmy used. Its listed as a "Overflow" tank. Thats different than a "Recovery" tank, right? Recovery tanks need to be a little bigger? Also need a different cap, right?

Then there's a choice of caps:

Probably going to get laughed at, but OK... what are the Pros/Cons to a Overflow versus a Recovery tank setup and is it worthwhile to try to rig one on my car? IIRC, you'd have to eliminate the traditional radiator cap because that cap would go on the recovery container... I think. I know that in a recovery system the fluid could expand and go into the tank, and then the fluid will be drawn back into the system at some point. OTH, overflow tanks are just for puking fluid when things get too hot or there's too much pressure so it blows by the seal in the radiator cap and you have a puddle under the car?

Lately, on hot days and in heavy traffic, my car has puked about a cup of coolant after shutting it down and the temps have been 210-220. I'm going to take a look at the radiator cap, thermostat, probably the timing, and if all else fails... the water pump. Moving along at 65-70 on the highway, the temp drops back down to 180-190 which I figure is normal. But the puking is new, and nothing has changed as far as timing, carb, whatever.-Mike

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 18, 12:15 PM
John

Garage

You may have too much coolant and the radiator is seeking its own level or may need a new 16# radiator cap
57vette likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 18, 12:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

John is right. The level should not be to the top. No drawbacks to having a recovery tank if seeing it does not bother you. You have to have one if you take it to a track. I have seen beer can overflow systems at the track. All of my big blocks ran a little warm in traffic and when not cruising.
57vette likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 18, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Garage

Installed Nova tank on my 68.
57vette likes this.

Thanks,

Jeff

1968 Camaro

Last edited by Chevy68; Oct 9th, 19 at 05:47 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 18, 04:48 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

If the system is working properly and a the radiator, fan, shroud, thermostat are good, it should not be necessary to have an overflow tank. These cars were not designed with this in mind. I currently have 3 BB's and have never had an overheating issue. My 69 C-10 tows a car trailer and with the AC blowing has never overheated. A built 427 with a 4 core copper radiator stock set up, as does the other 2 BB's.
57vette likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 18, 05:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Yes these cars were not designed with an overflow in mind. They were also not designed with today's demands and traffic in mind. It should not overheat. 200-220 in my mind is not overheating, but warm. The C-10 has a much larger radiator to displace the heat. My wrecker with a 454 dies not overheat with a copper radiator, but the radiator is a goliath compared to a first gen radiator.
57vette likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 18, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
You may have too much coolant and the radiator is seeking its own level or may need a new 16# radiator cap
Maybe John is right... I checked the cap and the seals don't look spectacular or fresh, actually a little chewed up and gummy in a bad way. On top of that it's a #15 cap and the engraved notations say "15 LB CLOSED SYSTEM" and "CHECK COOLANT LEVEL IN BOTTLE" so maybe this cap was borrowed from a system that actually had a separate coolant recovery bottle. Unless somebody switched caps on me at a show or cruise night (anythings possible) I never had this puking before.

Going to go out and pick up a fresh cap for starters, they are cheap enough. Anyone have any preference for the type with a red release lever as opposed to a plain cap? Probably a gimmick, but the Mr.Gasket unit with a built-in temperature gauge is intriguing.

I should note that I'm not seeing any steam or crap coming from the exhaust or engine, it's just from the overflow tube on the PS of the radiator. The radiator is a copper tank type, and I last filled it to about 2" from the cap neck.
DjD likes this.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 18, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

I use the window wash tank as I never use it other wise .Not a lot of room under the hood
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 18, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Picked up a decent quality 16# cap this afternoon, thoroughly cleaned the radiator neck as it had a lot of rubberish residue where the old cap seated. Coolant is about 4" down from the top edge of the neck. Maybe the problem was the cap as the old one was cruddy. Check the comparison picture showing the new and the old below.

Now several guys running big blocks over in the FB page said they are running a Stant brand cap rated 26-32 PSI and have no problems with puking or overheating. Don't know if a different water pump figured into their situation. Anyway, AZ didn't have a Stant cap, so that'll have to wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6502.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	216370  

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 18, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Update: Had a local show today and happy to say things seemed to have returned to normal. Temp never went above 180 this morning on the way over, and it did get fairly warm this afternoon... maybe 80-5 degrees. So on the way home I took a little joy ride to a local office park and took some pix while the car sat there for 15-20 minutes idling. I checked the temp every now and then and could actually see the gauge change when the thermostat opened and closed. Temp never went past 200, seemed to be cycling between 190-200 just sitting there. I then turned the engine off and watched underneath to see if she'd puke... nothing. So after around 5 minutes, I got in, started her up, temp showed 200 and by time I drove down the entrance about 1/8 mile... temp was dropping from 200 to 190, and 15 minutes later when I pulled in the garage it was between 175-180.

Don't know if the problem is 100% solved, I'll be watching everything carefully, but I'm hopeful that a $7.00 16# cap might've saved the day. While I did buy a new thermostat, the "old" one appears to be working just fine, so I'll stick with it for now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode