Vintage air in a non factory A/C 1969 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 18, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

Vintage air in a non factory A/C 1969 Camaro

I've got a Vintage air set up I'm installing in a non-factory A/C 69 camaro.

I had to swap out my dashpad anyway, so I elected to use factory style center a/c vents. I'm guessing the dash is different, b/c I had to make a bracket to extend from my dash to the factory style center A/C louver...

I'm assuming the dash is different for a nonfactory air car and a factory air car. It should give me something solid to mount the A/C louver to. Here's the bracket, am I missing something or is this common...
Untitled by zboss86, on Flickr

Here's with the dash pad in place.

Also, I had to notch the case for the factory style A/C louver so the lever would work. Is this common?

Here's a video with it in motion after the notch.

My Mistress rebuild...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 18, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: Vintage air in a non factory A/C 1969 Camaro

Nice job, hope it all works out for you!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 18, 01:25 PM
John

Garage

The dash is the same for AC and Non AC cars. Looking at the pictures it appears yours was hacked up a some time in its past.

When I do AC I always use the OEM style center vent and purchase an AC Pad.

Then you buy the Vintage Air Factory AC Louver Adapter to install the Factory Style AC Vent. Part # 62614VCE

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-62614vce

Click image for larger version

Name:	vta-62614vce_ml.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	219021
zboss86 likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 18, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

I was hoping you'd reply, I knew you've installed a few...

I lay claim to the hack job... I cut the original flange off and extended it to meet the factory A/C vent location on the dash pad. That's why I wondered if there was a difference.

That's the same "Vintage Air Factory AC Louver Adapter to install the Factory Style AC Vent. Part # 62614VCE" that I have... I thought it was weird that the lever couldn't cycle unless I notched it.

My Mistress rebuild...

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 18, 02:05 PM
John

Garage

I've never had to notch or trim to fit. The adapter is not the same as the one that comes with the VA non factory AC kit part #490169-FCA (louver and adapter) It looks the same but is smaller.

It comes with the factory AC Kit but you can buy the part separately.
zboss86 likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 18, 03:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I too used the factory style dash pad and a OER vent. Works well and looks like the factory did it.
zboss86 likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 18, 03:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Although mine was an A/'C car, my dash pad and vent seemed to fit well. I guess you couldn't have put it in upside-down...

Brett......
zboss86 likes this.

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 18, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I've never had to notch or trim to fit. The adapter is not the same as the one that comes with the VA non factory AC kit part #490169-FCA (louver and adapter) It looks the same but is smaller.

It comes with the factory AC Kit but you can buy the part separately.

I bet you're right... I bet I got the smaller one. I'll order 62614VCE
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 18, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

So here's where my ignorance will shine, I didn't have factory A/C with a center vent, so I'll go ahead and ask... I was thinking that the center a/c vent screws to a metal flange on the dash. But from the manual, I see that the center vent screws to clips that slide onto the dashpad. Or is there suppose to me a metal flange to mount to behind the dashpad?

My Mistress rebuild...

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 18, 06:21 AM
Team Member
David

Good information, I'm planning on installing vintage air in my non ac 69. What's the best solution for the kick panel vents? These are no longer functional after the conversion, correct? I'm still far from installing but interested in this topic. Thanks!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 18, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonac View Post
Good information, I'm planning on installing vintage air in my non ac 69. What's the best solution for the kick panel vents? These are no longer functional after the conversion, correct? I'm still far from installing but interested in this topic. Thanks!
They'll be empty... I'll run my A/C lines through mine and inside the fenders. Or you can build an enclosure and make speaker boxes out of them.

My Mistress rebuild...

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 18, 07:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

My kick panel vents still work. My astro vents are not hooked up anymore. It was not a horrible install. I put mine in with the dash empty, and no fenders on the car.
zboss86 likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 18, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
My kick panel vents still work. My astro vents are not hooked up anymore. It was not a horrible install. I put mine in with the dash empty, and no fenders on the car.
I guess there's no reason they wouldn't still work... I just knew they weren't tied into the vintage air system. I should have though about it more before I answered it.

Keith, does the center vent just screw into the metal clips that clip onto the dash panel or is it backed by a piece from the main dash?

My Mistress rebuild...

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 18, 11:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I put mine right in the pad with clips. The pad actually had dimples for the holes. I used a OER pad and a OER. Vent.

X-77 keith
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 18, 11:37 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
I put mine right in the pad with clips. The pad actually had dimples for the holes. I used a OER pad and a OER. Vent.
Thatís the way they work. 👍

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode