2Likes
  • 1 Post By X-77 keith
  • 1 Post By X-77 keith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 18, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Broken Lever

The top lever on the heater control assembly is broken. I don't see a replacement for that lever in any of the parts catalogs (I do for the bottom De-Ice lever, but not the top one). What are my options to get this fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 09:45 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Broken Lever

If I remember right the levers are interchangeable with other 67/68 GM units, maybe the Chevy Nova and Trucks? The trucks levers are reproduced and available on-line.

As to fixing, I assume it broke because the cable is un-lubed or rested in place or the control door flap on the heater box is jammed or hard to manually move. So that would be step one, then you can see if it can be welded together but most of these parts were made from foundry "pot" metal formulations which was whatever was left over in a pour was thrown into the "pot" and that mixed metals consistency was used for a whole host of metal parts. So often very hard to repair, but not impossible. Sometimes you can drill small holes on the existing lever ends, then make a splint of sheet metal and then wrap that around the break with enough surface coverage over the good metal to drop two pop rivets on each side of the break to the two ends. Problem is that the splint has to be strong enough to take the force, but thin enough to not interfere with the other levers.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 09:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Nova is definitely interchangeable. That is what I used. Where exactly are you located? I probably have a few laying around. You in the states?
69-Pace likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Re: Broken Lever

Thanks for the info -

I'm in Orange County, CA. I tried to move the the top lever assembly by hand and its very difficult to move so I can see why it snapped. I would need to lubricate those cables before replacing the lever. How big a job is it to pull out the whole assembly, cables and whatever else needs to come out to gain access to be able to lubricate the cables and the doors that they control?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 01:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Its not hard to do. Might want to just replace the cables. They are not that expensive.
69-Pace likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

OK. Took your advice and pulled out the assembly and the cables. I tried the door flaps and they are pretty easy to turn - so the problem is with the cables - which I think are not original. So will lubricate these and see if I can get them to function more smoothly.... if not will buy new ones.

I added a few pictures of the broken lever - one shows how it should look, and the other where it snapped. I'll see if I can find the matching Nova or truck lever as I agree that the metal looks very brittle so will look to replace rather then try to repair the lever.

Thanks again guys for the advice and guidance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	219921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	219923  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 06:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robbie

On my 1967 Camaro I utilized the splint method on that same lever about 20 years ago. Its ugly but functioned great. Fortunately, I switched to a vintage air GenIV A/C which allowed me to get rid of the cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode