• 4 Post By Hostile-67
  • 1 Post By X-77 keith
  • 1 Post By X-77 keith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
John

Vintage air

I'm sure its been covered here before but how difficult is it to install a Vintage air system on a Non-AC car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 09:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Re: Vintage air

Depends on whether your car is in a build phase or if it's all put together. VA can be installed in either but much easier if apart. If I recall, you can specify if your kit is for an original AC or Non AC car as some parts and instructions are different in the two kits. That said, I found VA to be one of the best quality products (including comprehensive instructions) that I've dealt with. They also have a customer support and tech line that is very helpful. The challenging parts are getting everything in under the dash and through the firewall but the kit includes plates and equipment to help that. My only under hood issues were getting the right water pump (short vs long) to get pulleys lined up around the crank, alternator, water pump and AC compressor. Doable but may involve some trial and error and belt/pulley experimentation. When it's all done they work amazingly well.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 09:30 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy67 View Post
I'm sure its been covered here before but how difficult is it to install a Vintage air system on a Non-AC car?
A lot of variables there including installerís skill set and tools etc. Have you downloaded and read the instructions?

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 09:36 AM
John

Garage

Installation is not difficult.

The hardest part is removing all of the original parts. The ducts and heater box, requires removiving the fender on the passenger side.

You will also need to remove the gauge cluster and center dash panel.

Like Don suggested download and read the instructions
130fe and wireboy355 like this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 01:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
I'm installing one right now on a non A/C car.

In my case, I have a car that is going through a ground up restoration. So, I can get the fabrication and fittment done without any problems.

First determine if u want to use their standard ducts or OER/OEM.

They have kit 49306-VCL and 493067-LCA kits that adapt OER vents to their duct work.

This gives you a stock appearance. Much nicer than the ones they supply.

Additionally, you can use an orginal A/C control panel that they can mate up with. It gives a more stock appearance. They just swap out a circuit board.

You will have to remove your passenger fender, which is a headache. I recommend you do it with fender well attached.

You can opt to drill holes in your heater box cover. If you do this, you don't have to remove your fender. I did not like the Vintage air firewall plate. So, I drilled holes in the stock heater box. It looks better IMO.

Good luck!
wireboy355 likes this.

Last edited by Sosh67; Sep 13th, 18 at 01:30 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 18, 06:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

Like some have said, it’s easy as part of a full rebuild but pretty invasive for a built car. You have to decide if you are going to run the hoses through the firewall through the old heater box or up under the fender through the blower hole. I went through the blower hole to try and hide the hoses as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	281DA23D-C070-498B-8002-BB348C76855E_1540084756237.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	222293  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 18, 04:57 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

The install is pretty straight forward. It can become a real PITA if you try and get fancy and run the hoses in the inner fender to hide them or through the kick panel, also the inline outlets on the firewall look great, however they can present more difficulty under the dash. So.... it really comes down to if you will follow the VA install instructions or not.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 18, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I avoided a firewall connection and ran the hoses through the blower hole and under the fender. I got a 4 hole round fitting from VA from a Chevelle if I remember. Gives a clean firewall look. As the guys have said, read the directions a few times.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 18, 06:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

When they talk about tools, most are standard everyday tools with exception of a vacuum pump and the hose crimper. I did not want to spend the money on the crimper. I measured and marked my hoses where I wanted them. Then I went to a local hydraulic hose shop to get them crimped. With the angle if the VA compressor fittings the shop could not do it. The shop had some that had less of a bend that would fit in their machine. It worked great. If anyone knows of a economic hand crimper, that would be of great use. Other than that, I live my gen 4 system. I getting ready to buy one for my 66 el camino very soon.
wireboy355 likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
John

thank you for all your great advice. I may tackle this during the winter when I have plenty of time. My car is a finished so there will be some disassembly to do I see. Thanks again . I'll post updates when the install begins.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 05:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

You will not regret the update. It was 98 degrees and a heat index of 110 here last Friday. After about 20 minutes of driving I had to turn the fan down. Was getting cold in the car.
HawkX66 likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode