Vintage Air Kick Panel Modification - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 18, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sal

Vintage Air Kick Panel Modification

For those of you that have routed the AC and heater hoses through the kick panel...

I've got the AC unit mocked up under the dash with all the hoses run and the kick panel filler plate installed (the one with 4 holes and grommets) but I don't have the kick panel in. When I do it for real, the hoses will all go through the kick panel. It was hard enough to wrestle the hoses and AC box into place without having the kick panel in the way. That seems like it would make it an even bigger PITA.

I've already modified the kick panel to cut out the fresh air door tube. I was thinking of making a slice in the kick panel at the top of the hole so that I can just slip the kick panel on once everything is hooked up and done. And then this would also allow me to remove the kick panel in the future if I had to mess with the speaker or wiring behind it.

Anybody else do this? Seems like a reasonable shortcut.

Thanks,
Sal

Last edited by ssanto; Oct 6th, 18 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 18, 05:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage
Re: Vintage Air Kick Panel Modification

I went that route only I did not use the 4-hole plate as that took up too much real estate imo. I tightly bundled the hoses to keep everything as compact as possible. I also used an aftermarket kick panel from The Shop LLC(had to modify it) and still was able to fit in a 6-1/2" speaker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181007_081221.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	575.8 KB
ID:	222069  

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 18, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
Kip

I didnt modify my kick panel at all. I routed the two AC hoses and the two heater hoses through the firewall, behind the factory heater core cover and into the area between the inner and outer fender.

1967 SSRS

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 18, 08:13 PM
Tech Team
Pete

Garage

I'm in the process of installing a VA system in my 68, but mine came with factory A/C, so the hoses seem to route through the vent pretty easily. I'm just getting ready to crimp the lines. Will have that done by weekend, so will have all hoses routed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 04:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robbie

I wanted a stock look for my 1967 BBC Camaro. I routed the hard lines from the evaporator/heater core inlets out to the firewall and under the stock blower motor/heater core cover. Hard lines for both heater hoses end up in the stock location for a BBC. The A/C lines are routed in front of the firewall and under the cover to the big hole where the blower motor would have been. A circular plate was fabricated to bolt to the cover like the blow motor. The hard lines exit through two pre drilled holes in the plate and have junctions outside the cover which allows for hose/line replacement if required some day. I put the pressure switch on the hard line near the cover below the fender. If I did this again, I would have positioned the switch below the battery tray where the hard line is routed enroute to the condenser.

Thanks
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1459.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	222943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	222945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	222947  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode