3Likes
  • 1 Post By dhutton
  • 1 Post By Larger Dave
  • 1 Post By Larger Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 18, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Can I keep my factory A/C in my 67 if I drop in a '67 BBC?

I know factory A/C and a Big Block were not available in '67
however if I decide to drop a 1967 Big Block 396 into my '67 RS Convertible
could I still run my factory A/C unit?
could I still go with a TH350 Transmission? or would a TH400 be better?

1967 RS/SS Coupe, Factory A/C, 2nd owner, original paint -Taho Turquoise 3 Spd on the floor, bench seat, fold down rear seat

1967 RS Convertible Factory A/C, PS, PB PG 327
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 18, 05:17 PM
Tech Team
Pete

Garage
Re: Can I keep my factory A/C in my 67 if I drop in a '67 BBC?

Wow - My 68 is a factory A/C car and my small block just barely cleared. The headers had to be modified to fit. I would guess you'll have real problems getting enough clearance for a big block even with factory manifolds. I ended up taking my factory out (can't get the old Freon anyways) and installing a vintage air system. That moves everything behind the firewall and gives you plenty of room in the engine compartment for a big block.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 18, 06:17 PM
Team Member
Don

It fits, I think maybe a different evaporator unit might be needed.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...S-COUPE-116450

Don
Niblet likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 18, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

It will fit and was offered as an option on 325 and 350 horse 396 engines in the Nova which shares the same sub frame and inner fenders as the Camaro (I have seen them installed on 454 BBC Camaro Z/28's at car shows).

A/C was not available on any engine equipped with a flat tappet cam because you will blow the front seal out if you over rev the motor with the A/C on (works fine if you remember to turn the A/C off before any demonstrations of speed). Modern cars that rev to 6,800 RPM have the car's computer turn off the A/C compressor as the RPM gets above 4,600 RPM.

A TH350 is torque limited. It was relabled as a 3L60 tranny to let people know that it was not as strong as the TH400 (aka 3L80). The numbers after the L tell you the torque rating of the transmission. I wouldn't use any 60 or 65 rated tranny behind a BBC.

Big Dave
Niblet likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 18, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Thanks again fellas

1967 RS/SS Coupe, Factory A/C, 2nd owner, original paint -Taho Turquoise 3 Spd on the floor, bench seat, fold down rear seat

1967 RS Convertible Factory A/C, PS, PB PG 327
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 03:51 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
It will fit and was offered as an option on 325 and 350 horse 396 engines in the Nova which shares the same sub frame and inner fenders as the Camaro (I have seen them installed on 454 BBC Camaro Z/28's at car shows).

A/C was not available on any engine equipped with a flat tappet cam because you will blow the front seal out if you over rev the motor with the A/C on (works fine if you remember to turn the A/C off before any demonstrations of speed). Modern cars that rev to 6,800 RPM have the car's computer turn off the A/C compressor as the RPM gets above 4,600 RPM.

Big Dave
Nova inner fenders are not the same as Camaro. Flat tappet applies to both hydraulic and solid lifters. Subframes are similar but not identical. Being a "Z/28" has no impact on the configuration of which you speak, neither would a base model, SS, etc. SB and BB A/C suitcases are different like Don stated.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 05:56 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Nova inner fenders are not the same as Camaro. Flat tappet applies to both hydraulic and solid lifters. Subframes are similar but not identical. Being a "Z/28" has no impact on the configuration of which you speak, neither would a base model, SS, etc. SB and BB A/C suitcases are different like Don stated.
Sorry I meant to say solid tappet rather than flat tappet.

I included the reference to the Z/28 because there were so few of them built in 1969 with the 454 engine option.

I have gotten Nova and Camaro front ends to interchange (of course I couldn't open the doors but it bolted up). I did this just to see what it looked like back in 1972. Just can't find the photograph I took of the '70 Nova with a '68 Camaro dog house on it (I bought a one piece fiberglass front end for my '68 Camaro and had it lying around). Ran a full fiberglass front end on the Nova (including bumpers and mounting bumper brackets front and rear and fiberglass doors and trunk lid) using individual pieces that I bolted together using aluminum bolt and nuts. Painted it to look like a rusty front end I found (different color than the body) and applied fake rust colored patina as paint and talc powder). Because I built a lot of 427/454 BBC powered sleepers back then, as I got tired of class competition (mostly gas class or M/P).

Big Dave
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 12:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 12:49 PM
Tech Team
Scott

The Big Block evaporator box has a different suit case. Its angled towards the fender to give more room for the exhaust manifolds if I remember correctly. I have a stock 69 camaro with big block factory A/C. The suit case is different from a small block case. Hope this helps! Scott
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
I included the reference to the Z/28 because there were so few of them built in 1969 with the 454 engine option.
Yeah. None. Dave, I'm assuming you were being glib?

Ed

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 02:26 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertfam View Post
Yeah. None. Dave, I'm assuming you were being glib?

Ed

Moi? I would never be sarcastic! Punny given half a chance; maybe.

Big Dave
bhodgdon400 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode