a/c switch question - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 18, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
domo

a/c switch question

I have a 69 camaro with original suitcase, an Old Air POA kit, a pressure switch (i believe it is binary). I am installing the correct Vintage air condenser with dryer. With be kool radiator/electric fans, do i need a trinary switch? If so does it get mounted in the dryer, or just replace the current one in the old air POA? I would like the fans to come on when the a/c is on and at the correct pressure, and also shut down on high/low pressure...thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 18, 04:17 AM
Team Member
Don

Re: a/c switch question

You can just trigger the fans with the compressor power line. Not as good as a trinary switch but done on a lot of installations. Either way you will need a fan controller with an AC input. I like the Entropy two speed controller or better yet the DCC PWM controller. Keeps the noise down versus the fans on at full speed.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 18, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
domo

with these changes, i would still need a hi/low pressure switch correct? install it on POA or on new dryer?

i did read that switch needs to be installed somewhere in hi pressure liquid line...still learning this stuff!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 18, 02:39 PM
Team Member
Don

You still need a binary switch. I would put it on the dryer but itís been a while since Iíve messed with a POA valve. Hopefully an expert will reply. Are you converting to R134A?

Don

1959 El Camino project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 18, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
domo

right now the binary switch is on the POA between the evaporator and the compressor which is the low side, correct? what i have been reading is that it should be mounted in the hi pressure/temp liquid line between the compressor and the expansion valve, like on the dryer.

already runing 134a..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 18, 05:32 PM
Team Member
Don

Why donít you just leave it as it is and trigger your fans off the compressor. If it ainít broke, donít fix it....

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 18, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
domo

unfortunately it is kind of broke...hi side hose blew, which leads me to believe there is no binary hi/low pressure switch on the system. the Old Air switch on the POA may be just a pressure cycling switch. The condenser is mounted with tubes vertically instead of horizontally and there is no dryer on system, so I dont really trust how the previous owner built the system. I met a guy at SEMA from Old Air who said to send him pics and call him to diagnose the problem, so that is my next step...learning as I go...will post what I find out...thx
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 18, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
domo

found out that the switch on the POA valve is only a pressure cycling type to keep the evaporator from freezing up, so there was no hi/lo pressure switch on the system. I can continue to use it or change it out to a thermal switch. Need to add a trinary switch which also turns the fans on when needed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode