• 1 Post By Chevy68
  • 1 Post By ilikeike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Griffin Radiator, Griffin Radiator Cap?

Hey guys, I've been looking through post archives but nothing has answered this question so far...
I have a nice Griffin exact fit aluminum radiator and it runs very cool, cooler than I'd like but that's not the issue. Even though it runs cool the water level runs about 4-5 inches below the radiator cap. Even with that, it still spills water/coolant on my floor. I was wondering if a Griffin radiator requires a Griffin cap? I am running a 16lb Duralast cap now. Should I go to a higher pressure cap?
On my last drive after filling the radiator a little bit, it apparently relieved water/coolant while the engine was running but not running hot... usually it runs about 165 or so.
Frustrating to say the least.
Thanks, Jim

No School Like The Old School!
67 RS 4 Speed with Big Block conversion
12 bolt with Richmond 3.90's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Griffin Radiator, Griffin Radiator Cap?

Jim an aluminum radiator can handle 22 to 24 psi pounds of pressure which raises the boiling point of the coolant. However if you still have your brass and copper heater core that kind of pressure will pop it like a toy balloon.

Other quest is am I wrong in that you do NOT have a coolant over flow reservoir? If you do you need a different radiator cap (one that holds pressure but allows fluid to be drawn from the over flow container as the engine cools). Also you fill the radiator to the top with an over flow catch can, not leave it down an inch or two (How far down depends upon you filling the radiator with a measuring can to know it's rated capacity). Because it is an exact fit it should contain the factory specified quantity of coolant (listed in the capacities pages of the Chassis Service manual).

Big Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 19, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Speed67CamaroRS View Post
Hey guys, I've been looking through post archives but nothing has answered this question so far...
I have a nice Griffin exact fit aluminum radiator and it runs very cool, cooler than I'd like but that's not the issue. Even though it runs cool the water level runs about 4-5 inches below the radiator cap. Even with that, it still spills water/coolant on my floor. I was wondering if a Griffin radiator requires a Griffin cap? I am running a 16lb Duralast cap now. Should I go to a higher pressure cap?
On my last drive after filling the radiator a little bit, it apparently relieved water/coolant while the engine was running but not running hot... usually it runs about 165 or so.
Frustrating to say the least.
Thanks, Jim
Jim, as the coolant heats up and expands it will push coolant out of the overflow.
Once the maximum expansion level is reached and pushed all the excess coolant out of the system, let it cool down. Once cooled remove the cap and that will be your fill level. Any coolant added above that level will be pushed out.
tuxedoblack likes this.

Thanks,

Jeff

1968 Camaro

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 19, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
Jim an aluminum radiator can handle 22 to 24 psi pounds of pressure which raises the boiling point of the coolant. However if you still have your brass and copper heater core that kind of pressure will pop it like a toy balloon.

Other quest is am I wrong in that you do NOT have a coolant over flow reservoir? If you do you need a different radiator cap (one that holds pressure but allows fluid to be drawn from the over flow container as the engine cools). Also you fill the radiator to the top with an over flow catch can, not leave it down an inch or two (How far down depends upon you filling the radiator with a measuring can to know it's rated capacity). Because it is an exact fit it should contain the factory specified quantity of coolant (listed in the capacities pages of the Chassis Service manual).

Big Dave
Thanks Dave,
I'm not running a heater core... it's been bypassed and no hoses are running to it.
I do have an overflow but it's a cheap aftermarket aluminum container with a screw on cap that I had to drill a hole in the top of because after cool down, my top radiator hose would collapse. Also, I couldn't find a good place to mount it so in order to not have fluid on my garage floor, I hung it on the hood latch mount/horn bracket (RS Car) which is below the discharge. I think some of what sprayed my engine compartment while driving yesterday was from the hose clamp being a bit loose on the Radiator discharge tube.
I think I'll go with the '75 Nova (correct me if I'm wrong) overflow container that tucks in the passenger side fender.
Jim

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 19, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy68 View Post
Jim, as the coolant heats up and expands it will push coolant out of the overflow.
Once the maximum expansion level is reached and pushed all the excess coolant out of the system, let it cool down. Once cooled remove the cap and that will be your fill level. Any coolant added above that level will be pushed out.
Thanks Jeff,
I was getting a bit worried because my coolant level seemed very low. My gauge never ran hot at all but it just doesn't seem right.
Thanks, Jim

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 19, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
Thanks Jeff,
I was getting a bit worried because my coolant level seemed very low. My gauge never ran hot at all but it just doesn't seem right.
Thanks, Jim
Jim, with a recovery tank the radiator should be topped off as Dave mentioned, as the coolant expands the coolant will go into the recovery tank and will draw back to the radiator as it cools down. Most recovery tanks have level marks for cold and hot. Yes, 75 - 79 Nova tank works well and that is the setup I use.

Thanks,

Jeff

1968 Camaro
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Jeff,
Thanks, Jim
Jim, with a recovery tank the radiator should be topped off as Dave mentioned, as the coolant expands the coolant will go into the recovery tank and will draw back to the radiator as it cools down. Most recovery tanks have level marks for cold and hot. Yes, 75 - 79 Nova tank works well and that is the setup I use.
Thanks, ultimately I found a different size universal tank that tucked away nicely I the wheel well.
I believe what was the cause of the coolant sprayed all over the engine compartment was possibly a bad radiator cap not sealing properly and when it got hot and wanted to relieve pressure, it escaped from around the top of the cap.
I’ve now changed the cap and have the overflow tank installed. I will gradually increase the fluid level in the radiator and see what happens.
Does it require a different type of cap that allows it to draw fluid back into the radiator?
Thanks, Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24B2371B-0D8D-4222-99E9-9923465A8A25_1546809082006.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	223831  

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 04:13 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
Thanks, ultimately I found a different size universal tank that tucked away nicely I the wheel well.
I believe what was the cause of the coolant sprayed all over the engine compartment was possibly a bad radiator cap not sealing properly and when it got hot and wanted to relieve pressure, it escaped from around the top of the cap.
Iíve now changed the cap and have the overflow tank installed. I will gradually increase the fluid level in the radiator and see what happens.
Does it require a different type of cap that allows it to draw fluid back into the radiator?
Thanks, Jim
Glad you found something that works for you. Yes, the radiator cap needs to be designed to work with a recovery system.

Thanks,

Jeff

1968 Camaro
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 19, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Glad you found something that works for you. Yes, the radiator cap needs to be designed to work with a recovery system.
Any suggestion for a particular radiator cap?
Thanks, Jim

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 04:09 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
Any suggestion for a particular radiator cap?
Thanks, Jim
Jim, really donít a recommendation for a cap. I always just went to the parts house and took what they had in stock, always worked out ok for me.
4Speed67CamaroRS likes this.

Thanks,

Jeff

1968 Camaro
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 04:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Griffin just puts a fancy snap on cover over a standard cap.
4Speed67CamaroRS likes this.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode