Which Heat and A/C Unit? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Which Heat and A/C Unit?

I am getting ready to purchase my heat and air and really could use some advice. I think it makes a lot of sense to install one of these units while there is nothing in the way as my interior is completely gutted including steering column and pedals. I have looked and read extensively about both Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air. Seems to me they are essentially the same with the only differentiators being the Classic Auto kit comes with electronic controls (which I really like) and the Vintage Air has lots of additional options for plumbing and controls available.

It might all come down to customer service and technical support rather than hardware. It does seem as though Vintage Air might have a leg up in the industry due to length of time in residence but not really sure. Any feedback, advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Shannon4570; Jan 20th, 19 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 11:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Vintage air ven 4 is my choice hands down. Clasic and retro I will not use in my shop. I put a few vintage kits in in my shop every year. I personally own two vehicles with vintage myself.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Re: Which Heat and A/C Unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
Vintage air ven 4 is my choice hands down. Clasic and retro I will not use in my shop. I put a few vintage kits in in my shop every year. I personally own two vehicles with vintage myself.
Thanks Keith. Any particular reason for the choice/preference?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 04:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Ease of installation, customer service, the integrated heat/cool coils, the no cable instal using the factory controls, and lastly the fact that I can sit in 100 degree temp in traffic in my 69 for 45 minuits and not one ounce of sweat.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Vintage Air has electronic controls.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 05:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Vintage Air has electronic controls.

Don
yes Don is correct vintage has electronic servo controls that you have the option to hook them to your factory heat/ac controls, not classic or retro air.

X-77 keith
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Well, I think that settles it. Sounds like a good recommendation and I really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks guys!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 07:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
Ease of installation, customer service, the integrated heat/cool coils, the no cable instal using the factory controls, and lastly the fact that I can sit in 100 degree temp in traffic in my 69 for 45 minuits and not one ounce of sweat.
Hi Timmy
I wanted to give my "Take" on this A/C Unit Un-Debate, I Purchased and Installed Only 1 Unit and probably, never do another.
I never Installed a Vintage Unit, but thought I would give some Info and Pic's. I believe you were Looking for Advice with Both ?

I bought the Classic Auto Air System, And Got All that Keith Mentions Above.
I did a Custom Install and the "Customer Support" from Classic was Over the Top, They even Called me to ask how things were Going after I contacted them.

This was about 5 years ago too, System Options and Parts may have Changed along over the Years.

One thing to Keep in Mind is these Units Do Not take Air From the Outside, Your "Flo Thru Ventilation" will still Operate.

And Take Care while Laying out your "Evaporator Drain Hole" you will be Putting thru the Floor pan. In Keeping your Unit Should be Perpendicular to the Chassis, A Slight Tilt Towards the Drain Hole will be Helpful.

Here is some Info and Pic's, Good Luck with the Unit you Buy !
Timmy from CT

Where is PNW ? "Pacific North West" ?

https://www.camaros.net/forums/28-he...-core-mod.html
Attached Images

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 10:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I am currently in the process of installing the Custom Colder III unit from Classic. I think I was overly ambitious in getting the custom unit under the dash. It's massive. It'll get done, but I would have been better off with the direct fit. That was my mistake though. The support has been great and they did warn me that it was real tight. Love the electronic controls.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/133-b...ml#post3857890

George
69 Base V8 Coupe (purchased in 1988)
Build Thread:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 08:50 AM
Tech Team
rick

Garage

I looked at A/C systems about a year ago and had decided to go with the Classic AutoAir. The main reasons for this was the electronic control they supplied (complete replacement - no sliders to install) and I have their system installed in a 66 Mustang and it works well. We'll like all restorations, mine took longer than anticipated. So, about 3 weeks ago I was ready to order the system. Before ordering, I decided to look at Vintage Air again. Turns out they've updated the 69 Camaro system. It now includes an electronic control, stuff to route the A/C and heater lines through the fender well, and what looks to be a much cleaner and simpler installation then the Classic AutoAir. I also like their E-Z clip hoses and fittings. I may end up using a bulkhead connector in place of the fender well stuff they supply and the E-Z clip hose will bend in a much tighter radius.The one unknown was how well it cooled. When I saw X-77 Keith's post above put that concern to rest. So, I went ahead and ordered the Vintage Air.

1969 Camaro Coupe -Being Restored
1963 Corvette Convertible - Red/Black, LS3, Tremec 5 speed, R&P, 1996 Suspension
1966 Mustang Convertible - 347 w/Holley EFI, AOD, Candy Apple Red/Black
1973 Ford Bronco - To Be Restored
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 09:00 AM
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

I went with Classic Auto Air. You can choose electric or original controls, customer service was great, and they use bolts instead of glue, meaning it is self-serviceable. I don't think you can go wrong with any choice. CAA is located in Coppell, TX, which is twenty minutes from me so it made it an easier choice for me.

1969 RS/SS 350 3.31 4 Speed (All Original)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I'm a glutton for punishment... I'm doing Vintage Air and the RS grill in my '69. Found a very good video put out by Vintage Air and they are installing it in a 67-68 Camaro. A lot of the info is good for the '69 except the ducting and of course, they put the compressor on the driver's side in the BBC's. I have heard you can mount it on the passenger's side with some different brackets that will line up everything to the long water pump but I haven't dug into that yet. I'm not sure how to embed a video but here's the link:

One thing that intrigued me is that the VA tech had the fender off the donor car but not the fender liner. See pix below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VintageAirInstall-10.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	226587  

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode