How to drill a sbc heater box cover and make it a bbc heater box cover - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Vega
  • 1 Post By ilikeike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom Anderson

Garage
How to drill a sbc heater box cover and make it a bbc heater box cover

Hey guys have any of you drilled out the small block heater box cover and made it into a big block cover with the hoses coming out by the passenger fender. The reason I ask is I put tall valve covers on and it really makes the top hose hard to get to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 06:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Re: How to drill a sbc heater box cover and make it a bbc heater box c

I have not. If my car wasn't a "numbers" car, I would have drilled it and converted to big block heater core when I had the car apart. This is one of those INSANE things that GM did back in the 60's. Why wouldn't they just use the same cover for big and small block? Would have been less part numbers, and easier. The big block heater cores are even easier to swap out when one goes bad.

But, back to your question. Can you buy just that little plate that bolts on the BB heater box cover? If so, I would buy one of those, position it on the cover comparing to a pic of the BB cover and get out the hole saws. Someone somewhere has probably posted a template. I am certain someone on here has a BB that is under construction, and would be glad to take some careful measurements for you.

Lynn
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 06:43 PM
John

Garage

67-69 CAMARO 70 NOVA SMALL BLOCK HEATER BOX COVER CONVERSION TO BIG BLOCK COVER https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192696045645

Here you go. Easy as pie
Yellow69RSZ and socal_tom like this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 08:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

I did mine. Seems like there were factory dimples in the cover to line up the holes you need to drill, just like the dimples all over the firewall for accessorie holes.
socal_tom likes this.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 04:57 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I did 1 a few years back, not a big job, not expensive, there are pics out there.

Mostly Camaros and FINALLY a Double Nickel
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech
Hakan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_tom View Post
Hey guys have any of you drilled out the small block heater box cover and made it into a big block cover with the hoses coming out by the passenger fender. The reason I ask is I put tall valve covers on and it really makes the top hose hard to get to
Yuup, I did too!
No problem if you are accurate when measuring and using the heater tube flange plate as a template! The heater box cove is identical on the outside, in the engine compartment, so really can't tell the difference after the drilling is done and the heater core and the heater tube flange plate with seal are mounted place.

You can read a little more about this in my ZL-1 build thread, page no 10, https://www.camaros.net/forums/133-b...zl-1-a-10.html

1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built

Last edited by Hgger69; Jan 26th, 19 at 03:06 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 07:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I did it Tom. Very easy to do. I had every intention of putting a big block cover on, so I bough a repop. What a piece of junk! Save your money and use the original, at least you know that it already fits.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 08:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

After cracking one of the heater core pipes when installing my engine and flooding the interior. I bought a repop big block cover to see where the holes were and just drilled the small block cover that was already on the firewall. The fun part was making the brackets to hold the big block heater core in place.

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

I did mine a few years ago. I drilled my existing small block cover to except the big block heater core. You are going to need the "Big Block Heater Core Conversion Cover" that John linked in post #3. Below are a couple photos that may help with converting your existing heater core cover.

After you remove the heater core from inside the car, place a wide piece of painters tape along the dimple in the firewall heater core cover as shown.

Using the Big Block Heater Core Conversion Cover as a template, hold it along the dimple on your existing cover as shown. The left side of the template should line up with the outside crease in the cover. Use a marker to identify the center of each hole on the painters tape.

Remove the template and use a 1 3/4 inch hole saw to drill the holes. Note: You can enlarge the holes as needed with a round metal file when installing the big block heater core.

You can use the original small block heater core retaining clips to hold the big block heater core in place, but you will need to modify/file the clip that is next to the big block heater core tubes as shown.

Finished install. You will also need to block/cover the small block heater core tube holes that remain in your firewall.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by oldschoolchevy; Jan 26th, 19 at 11:48 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 02:34 PM
John

Garage

The kit it posted includes material that blocks the SBC holes

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolchevy View Post
Remove the template and use a 1 3/4 inch hole saw to drill the holes. Note: You can enlarge the holes as needed with a round metal file when installing the big block heater core.
Correction: I used a 1" hole saw to drill the holes in the heater core cover mounted on the firewall.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

I forgot which house it was, but think it was NPD that I got my last core from.. Came with bent tubes that directed the hoses away from the valve cover. Didn't have to drill and still clear the Tall valve covers.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom Anderson

Garage

Hey guys thanx a lot for all your input . The team has a bunch of great guys and I am proud to be a member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode