67 & 68 clutch fan used a spacer? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

67 & 68 clutch fan used a spacer?

So I put a 7 blade clutch fan on the 68RS about 20+ years ago. I replaced the water pump due to a very small amount of play in the bearings. I noticed the fan only sticks into the shroud by about 3/8". I believe it should be in about 1/2 of the depth of the fan blades.

I took a look in the Camaro Research Group site and found the clutch fan was a rare option for 67 & 68. The standard 4 blade fan used a 1-5/16" spacer.

I want to add a spacer for the clutch fan, but am concerned with the radial load on the short water pump bearings due to any slight out of balance of the clutch fan.

Does anyone know if a spacer was used on the 67 - 68 clutch fans on the short water pump?

Thanks

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 67 & 68 clutch fan used a spacer?

..this site has spacers in various thickness...but description says for non fan clutch.

https://www.npdlink.com/search/produ...nt=7&year=1967
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 09:49 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Ron, This thread may help. I don't believe the factory used a spacer with a clutch fan.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/15-ta...ch-spacer.html

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 02:21 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

No, no spacer used on clutch fans. It's illustrated under UPC K02 of the AIM. I've no idea if the clutch assemblies were of differing heights/lengths and you have a wrong one, but in the 67 AIM they only list one plus an optional part number with no different applications indicated. And the parts books indicate that clutch is for 327/350/396s. The only thing remotely like a spacer would be the thin reinforcing piece that goes in between the pulley and the pump.

https://www.classicparts.com/1955-68...20group%20%231
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

No spacer is kind of what I came up with too.
The car is NOM and I used a Chrysler 7 blade fan. It has a 4 core radiator and doesn't overheat but gets up to 205 F or so in 90+ weather if I cruise in town. I just wondered if it would improve the cooling.

Thanks,
Ron
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech

327 motor

FWIW I just switched from the stock 4 blade fixed fan to the 5 blade and fan clutch. I was concerned the fan with clutch would not be positioned like the fixed 4 blade with spacer.

The fan clutch measured exactly what the spacer was with my 4 blade 1 7/8" (from front edge of WP to where fan mounts) and the new 5 blade sits exactly within the fan shroud as my 4 blade did

Weird the way asymmetrical 5 blade is shaped (blades are not evenly spaced)

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post

Weird the way asymmetrical 5 blade is shaped (blades are not evenly spaced)
Irregular spacing alters the harmonics to reduce noise.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Irregular spacing alters the harmonics to reduce noise.
ok...I assume GM made size/weight balance adjustments for each blade so the 5 blade is "balanced"

By appearance, with engine running, fan spins evenly without any vibration in feel or visibly

I went from fixed to clutch fan on my 70 Torino 302 also years ago

In both cases for all the advantages of clutch fans but given here in sunny CA where our winters are like summers compared to many parts of the country....the car warms up faster with the clutch fan now that we are seeing 30 degree +/- weather here.

I had ordered a clutch fan from rockauto months ago. It did not fit. Went through the 20 ? "return" form for RA for a refund. They finally refunded the return. I just assumed my motor/WP for whatever reason did not accept a clutch fan. I then looked on Ecklers and the base was different from the RA ones. It was plug & play on install and net measurements of fan position was exactly the same as fixed blade.

Also the fan clutch from Ecklers is made in USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode