2Likes
  • 1 Post By Duneit
  • 1 Post By Duneit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Cold Case Radiator

Please excuse my ignorance. I want to purchase a new radiator for my 1967 Camaro. It has a 700r4 transmission installed that has it's own cooler mounted in front of evaporator for Vintage Air which is mounted in front of the radiator. I'm having cooling issues at idle. Do I order the small block radiator for a manual transmission since there are no transmission lines going to the radiator?. If there is a better radiator I'm up for suggestions too.

Thanks in advance

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic

Last edited by Duneit; Mar 16th, 19 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 10:59 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Re: Cold Case Radiator

If you have a separate cooler for the trans you can use a manual trans radiator. No need to use the radiator trans cooler.

Donít know anything about cold case but a good aluminum radiator will have 2 rows of 1Ē minimum tubes. Iíve used the BeCool radiators with good results, and they are USA made.

However cooling at idle is possibly a fan/shroud issue. Make sure you are good there before spending the cash on a new radiator.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rs406 View Post
If you have a separate cooler for the trans you can use a manual trans radiator. No need to use the radiator trans cooler.

Donít know anything about cold case but a good aluminum radiator will have 2 rows of 1Ē minimum tubes. Iíve used the BeCool radiators with good results, and they are USA made.

However cooling at idle is possibly a fan/shroud issue. Make sure you are good there before spending the cash on a new radiator.
I installed a new clutch fan to replace the direct drive fan hoping it would alleviate my heating problems but it didn't. I have the original shroud in place with fan 1/2 in opening. I've read extensively about cooling issues here so I think I've narrowed it down to the radiator. Mine is factory original from 1967 for a non ac manual transmission car. BTW I have a 383 stroker with Holley Sniper fuel injection and a 700R4 Transmission.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 01:54 PM
Chris Casperson

Send a message via AIM to Ccass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneit View Post
Please excuse my ignorance. I want to purchase a new radiator for my 1967 Camaro. It has a 700r4 transmission installed that has it's own cooler mounted in front of evaporator for Vintage Air which is mounted in front of the radiator. I'm having cooling issues at idle. Do I order the small block radiator for a manual transmission since there are no transmission lines going to the radiator?. If there is a better radiator I'm up for suggestions too.

Thanks in advance
Yes. If you want to keep your SB fan shroud, you'd order our SB radiator so everything matches up. However, our SB radiator is built with a BB core (dual row 1 1/4" tubes) for maximum cooling.

As far as confirming whether it's the radiator that will solve your problem, if you can give me a little more information about your temps, I can confirm.

How hot do you run on the hwy?
How hot do you run in traffic?
If in traffic, how much time before it starts to climb? I
How fast do the temps climb once it starts climbing? ie; 5 degrees every 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc.

Fool around, Get hurt, Don't come cry'n to me.
Founder
Pypes Performance Exhaust
Cold Case Performance Radiators
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
Yes. If you want to keep your SB fan shroud, you'd order our SB radiator so everything matches up. However, our SB radiator is built with a BB core (dual row 1 1/4" tubes) for maximum cooling.

As far as confirming whether it's the radiator that will solve your problem, if you can give me a little more information about your temps, I can confirm.

How hot do you run on the hwy?
How hot do you run in traffic?
If in traffic, how much time before it starts to climb? I
How fast do the temps climb once it starts climbing? ie; 5 degrees every 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc.
Thank you for answering! For pics and more info on my set up I've started a thread here https://www.camaros.net/forums/28-he...o-w-383-a.html

On the highway with AC on and a 100 degree day it runs around 215 degrees. I cannot run the Ac in town on a 100 degree day if I'm stopping too much or else it will climb over 230.
Today it is 70 degrees outside and it climbed to 215 in traffic w/o the ac on after about 20 minutes of driving. In my other thread I did some research and found I have mis matching radiator and shroud. Also the clutch fan sits too far out of the shroud.

Thank you for your help. I am ready to purchase today if you can give me a link as to what I need.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 02:02 PM
Chris Casperson

Quote:
Thank you for answering! For pics and more info on my set up I've started a thread here https://www.camaros.net/forums/28-he...o-w-383-a.html

On the highway with AC on and a 100 degree day it runs around 215 degrees. I cannot run the Ac in town on a 100 degree day if I'm stopping too much or else it will climb over 230.
Today it is 70 degrees outside and it climbed to 215 in traffic w/o the ac on after about 20 minutes of driving. In my other thread I did some research and found I have mis matching radiator and shroud. Also the clutch fan sits too far out of the shroud.

Thank you for your help. I am ready to purchase today if you can give me a link as to what I need.
230 is not normal. It's also no fun to be in 100 degree temps, be lucky enough to have AC and then not be able to use it!

Let us know the results after you upgrade!

Founder
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I finished up installing the new Cold Case radiator today. The radiator is much bigger than my old one. Now that I've learned more about radiators I'm pretty sure my old one was a 2 row small block radiator. The old one was 2" thick and this new one is 3" thick. It took me a couple evenings to install the new radiator because I had to move a bunch of stuff that was on the drivers side due to it being the big block style and much wider than the old one. The new radiator takes up a bit more real estate!
The install went very smoothly. All the holes lines up perfectly with the existing holes designed for radiator support. The only issue I had was the flap they weld on to hold the shroud in place on the passenger side didn't line up with the slot in the shroud. In the process of trying to bend it to fit it broke off. It was not a big deal as I just fabbed up a bracket to hold that side tight. This is a brand new radiator shroud so it could very well be the Chinese didn't get it quite right. It fits nice and tight though.
After filling up the radiator I let it idle for about 20 minutes. It would have easily been approaching 200 degrees with the old radiator at this point but it wouldn't go above 140 now. I was trying to let it get up to temp so the thermostat would open and I could top off the radiator but it wouldn't go any higher. I let it idle another 10 minutes and it still wouldn't go above 143 degrees. It's supposed to be in the 70's and not raining Saturday so I will take it out for a nice drive then and see how warm it gets. So far I am extremely pleased with the fit and finish of the Cold Case radiator. I'll post back Saturday the temperature it runs at now. I'm confident it will be nice and cool now!! Looking forward to using the AC on 100 degree days coming up!
I added a couple pics after the install. I should've taken some before pics because this radiator is a beautiful piece of jewelry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	225989   Click image for larger version

Name:	CC2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	225991  
Ccass likes this.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic

Last edited by Duneit; Mar 29th, 19 at 04:39 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Took the car out for a nice long drive today. AC blowing and it never got over 180 degrees! Thank you Ccass for hooking me up with your phenomenal Cold Case Radiator!!!! PM Ccass when you need a great radiator. My cooling problems are finally solved!!!

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 01:37 PM
Chris Casperson

Quote:
Took the car out for a nice long drive today. AC blowing and it never got over 180 degrees! Thank you Ccass for hooking me up with your phenomenal Cold Case Radiator!!!! PM Ccass when you need a great radiator. My cooling problems are finally solved!!!
Well thank you but hopefully a 100 degree day comes along where you can duplicate the setting of your original overheating issues. I'm sure we'd all like to see those results as well.

Founder
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
Well thank you but hopefully a 100 degree day comes along where you can duplicate the setting of your original overheating issues. I'm sure we'd all like to see those results as well.
I'm confident it's going to be fine. It was getting near 220 just a couple weeks ago on a 65 degree day. Today it is 70 and sunny and it won't go past 180 degrees! I'm very happy with this radiator
Ccass likes this.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode