Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sauron67MM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Radiator w/Elec fans

Have a 67 Camaro with a 327 All almost original. No mods except a lot of Edelbrock parts like a water pump, fuel pump and carb. I’m having a pretty bad overheating issue. If the car is moving the temp stays around normal but if I sit at a red lighy too long the temp will get up to 210-220.

I’ve installed a new Edelbrock water pump, thermostat, had the radiator rebuilt and plenty of coolant but she still gets hot. I even added Water Wetter but no help.

My next step is to instal a radiator with electric fans and was hoping someone could recommend a set up that will solve my problem.

I’ve seen several options at Summit but have no idea which to choose from. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

1967 Camaro Convertible with a 327, TH350transmission, Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb, Edelbrock 1721 fuel pump & 2701 intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The true measure of a man is not where he stands in time of comfort and convenience but where he stands in time of challenge and controversy."
MLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 09:14 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Re: Radiator w/Elec fans

do you have a fan shroud?

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 350 4 speed
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 10:48 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

What are you using for a fan/shroud currently?

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 03:00 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

right direction water pump?
fan clutch working properly?
what blade fan ?
did the engine heat before you made the changes
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

I do have a shroud on it. Hoping to solve the problem I installed all new cooling components because the engine has always ran hot.

1967 Camaro Convertible with a 327, TH350transmission, Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb, Edelbrock 1721 fuel pump & 2701 intake.

"The true measure of a man is not where he stands in time of comfort and convenience but where he stands in time of challenge and controversy."
MLK
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Also...I also installed a new fan clutch.

MLK
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

That last post was from the Dept of Redundancy Dept!

MLK
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

I had a '65 chevy van with a v8 in it. Despite having a new aluminum radiator, new water pump, new thermostat, it still had a tendency to run hot on the freeway when climbing long grades. The problem with running hot was there with two different engines, it ran hot with both a 305 and a 400 SBC. I determined that airflow through the radiator was the problem. I solved that problem by using this FF Dynamics 3600 cfm fan that I bought off of ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-INCH-FFD...oAAOxyPLpRdKyI

Also used an aluminum fan shroud with it, so all air would be pulled through the fan and radiator core. It worked and finally solved my problem.

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
'68 350 4 speed
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Does Summit sell an aluminum radiator/electric tan combo for my car? I’m NOT a mechanic so this stuff is all new to me. If I were to purchase an electric fan im guessing I mount it on the engine side of the radiator?

MLK
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanddean View Post
Have a 67 Camaro with a 327 All almost original.
My '67 has a 327 with a mild cam, stock cooling system. 3 row brass radiator, clutch fan, full manifold vacuum and it stays at 190į. My BB Chevelle is a stock setup with a fixed fan it does not run hot.
Find out what the problem is before throwing parts at it. A stock cooling system will have no problem properly cooling your engine.
kookykrispy likes this.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 01:56 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

IF you need to go electric fan/s, you may need to upgrade you electric also.

Now IF you go to electric fan, I would look into a Mark VIII or Taurus fan.... they move LOTS of air.

A few small mods is all it will take to fit

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mark+viii+fan

And heres to install...https://www.camaros.net/forums/28-he...n-install.html

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Iím NOT a mechanic so this stuff is all new to me.
This is a problem if you cannot find a local tech who is familiar with older vehicles. Not an issue for those that have been building cars for decades.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 08:26 AM
Eric

Quote:
Have a 67 Camaro with a 327 All almost original. No mods except a lot of Edelbrock parts like a water pump, fuel pump and carb. Iím having a pretty bad overheating issue. If the car is moving the temp stays around normal but if I sit at a red lighy too long the temp will get up to 210-220.

Iíve installed a new Edelbrock water pump, thermostat, had the radiator rebuilt and plenty of coolant but she still gets hot. I even added Water Wetter but no help.

My next step is to instal a radiator with electric fans and was hoping someone could recommend a set up that will solve my problem.

Iíve seen several options at Summit but have no idea which to choose from. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Is your rebuilt original a 3 or 4 core? Sounds more like an air issue but the radiator certainly has some effect on it. Upgrading to a newer 2 row aluminum will help just by swapping only that out. You shouldn't need electric fans with a 327 still in there, unless you are set on them.

Follow Cold Case on Facebook and Instagram!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech

OP

If you are considering going electric fans, you will need a larger amp output alternator and relays and fuses for the electric fans. They generally require a 20 amp relay/fuse circuit per fan. If you run duals that is 40 amps

Electric fans are 2 types, pushers & pullers. the later goes behind the radiator (engine side)

But as mentioned properly working stock, or = aftermarket ones, should be fine.

I would confirm your thermostat is the correct one and does open at rated temp. put it in a pot of water you have a thermometer in for 180 degrees....the T stat (if a 180) should open fully. Yours may be either sticking partially open or the wrong (to high) temp rating

Fan shroud is a must have. Fan blades should be 1/2 in/out of the shroud opening

I have a 5 blade (reproduction) asymmetrical fan blade on a stock (new) clutch fan using a 23" stock 3 row radiator (for AC 327 cars) and the fan shroud specific to that set up (read NOT a BB shroud on a 23" radiator with a 327)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 05:58 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

You know, just re-thinking this It could be as simple as a tuning issue (timing, lean)

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode