What size fan? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 19, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

What size fan?

What size fan blade (Mechanical w/fan clutch, not electric) works best with the big block shroud? 16", 17", 18", 19" or 20"? I assume bigger is better right? But what fits?
I have not purchased the shroud yet so trying to get an idea before hand. It's going on an aftermarket aluminum radiator so i'm sure i'll have to modify brackets for the shroud. The car had/has a chrome shroud that i'd like to replace. Just looks out of place to me
Thanks

DSC_0379 by F G, on Flickr

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 19, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: What size fan?

well, I am running a SB with a stock BB fan shroud and I am pretty sure mine is a 17". it is a Derale HD stainless belt driven fan. my limit on the engine is 6200 Rs the fan is rated to 10,000 Rs
no cooling issues with my 10-9 -1 compression engine
Just 1 More likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 19, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
well, I am running a SB with a stock BB fan shroud and I am pretty sure mine is a 17". it is a Derale HD stainless belt driven fan. my limit on the engine is 6200 Rs the fan is rated to 10,000 Rs
no cooling issues with my 10-9 -1 compression engine
Does it look to have a little more room to go bigger if you wanted to? I'll probably be getting one of the Derale fans from Summit along with the shroud. Trying not to have to make multiple trips.

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 19, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
Does it look to have a little more room to go bigger if you wanted to? I'll probably be getting one of the Derale fans from Summit along with the shroud. Trying not to have to make multiple trips.
I wish I could answer your question, but I am still using BB frame mounts, so I am not sure
with my SB and BB frame mounts and the BB shroud , NO. there is no more room in my set up. I have about 3/16" clearance
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 19, 11:01 AM
Senior Tech

I have BB shroud for SB (AC car) and use the 5 blade 17". There is about 1/2" max space left all around so a 18" would hit shroud

I have the 23" BB radiator and fan clutch
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 19, 12:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lee

Garage

Just did the same thing you are about to do, bought a Cold Case BB radiator off of Eric on this site, running a 17" 6 blade Derale fixed fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1554657333196-640x480.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	226735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1554665471129-640x480-480x640.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	226737  
Ccass and Just 1 More like this.

1969, X-11
383 5 speed, 373 rear
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 19, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
Just did the same thing you are about to do, bought a Cold Case BB radiator off of Eric on this site, running a 17" 6 blade Derale fixed fan.
You look like you have room for 18+

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 19, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech

OP

If you are buying a stock shroud it will be 19" fan opening....aftermarket/Home Made ones can be any size. Clutch fans with long necks and/or spacer that are closer to radiator you can run a larger fan as the shroud is shorter than stock and with a wider opening

Assuming your shroud lands dead nuts centered to your WP you want 1/2" of clearance between fan and shroud all around.

Reality is the shroud and motor/WP are not dead nuts centered so a 19" fan shroud opening using a 17" fan gives you the "wiggle" room of the shroud & motor being slightly off dead buts center in terms of WP shaft and 19" opening of a fan shroud

You want 1/2 of the fan blade to be inside the shroud and 1/2 out.
Ccass likes this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 12:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

I have a stock clutch fan, 17" with stock BBC shroud. The shroud opening is 20", so there is room for a larger fan.

Brett.....

bill3337 and Just 1 More like this.

Rockets Up In 2020!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 01:27 PM
Chris Casperson

Send a message via AIM to Ccass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
What size fan blade (Mechanical w/fan clutch, not electric) works best with the big block shroud? 16", 17", 18", 19" or 20"? I assume bigger is better right? But what fits?
Yes, Bigger is better when it comes to fans. You should easily be able to get a 17-19" fan in the factory shroud opening.

However, trying to find a nice way to say you are spending too much time on the wrong product.

With an OEM shroud and any of the mechanical fans suggested, you're going to generally be 10-15% cfm flow range worst to best.

The real difference is going to come when you have to make the radiator decision. If you make a wrong choice, it's an expensive and time consuming mistake. Just sayin'.

I don't want to jack this thread so if you are interested in my ideas on the rad, shoot me a PM.

Fool around, Get hurt, Don't come cry'n to me.
Founder
Pypes Performance Exhaust
Cold Case Performance Radiators
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
Yes, Bigger is better when it comes to fans. You should easily be able to get a 17-19" fan in the factory shroud opening.

However, trying to find a nice way to say you are spending too much time on the wrong product.

With an OEM shroud and any of the mechanical fans suggested, you're going to generally be 10-15% cfm flow range worst to best.

The real difference is going to come when you have to make the radiator decision. If you make a wrong choice, it's an expensive and time consuming mistake. Just sayin'.

I don't want to jack this thread so if you are interested in my ideas on the rad, shoot me a PM.
I already have the rad .. re-using the aluminum one that was in the car. Never over heated and always stayed around 180ish w/180 t-stat

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 03:03 PM
Chris Casperson

Send a message via AIM to Ccass

ah! I apologize. I misread that. I now see it's just the shroud you didn't purchase.

Normally, the radiator will dictate the OEM shroud you can mount and that will dictate the biggest fan you can fit. The BB and SB radiators had different shrouds and they are not easily interchangeable. So you want to confirm what your radiator was built for. Then you should be all set to choose the biggest fan with the most blades. Either way, I'd go with the 6 blade AC fan or an aftermarket copy as mentioned in some of the above posts.

Fool around, Get hurt, Don't come cry'n to me.
Founder
Pypes Performance Exhaust
Cold Case Performance Radiators
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Factory data is here: CRG Research Report - 1967-69 Cooling Systems If you purchased a repro radiator meeting factory specs and mounting design, the rest will fall into place. A factory design will have no issues cooling your engine.
rp930 likes this.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sauron67MM; Apr 29th, 19 at 05:59 PM.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Factory data is here: CRG Research Report - 1967-69 Cooling Systems If you purchased a repro radiator meeting factory specs and mounting design, the rest will fall into place. A factory design will have no issues cooling your engine.
The core support is about the only thing "factory design"

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

I ended up going with an 18" fan and big block shroud. Made a few snips and cuts and shroud mount to get the shroud to fit the aluminum radiator and it fits great. Had to re-position the radiator on the core support which centered it up much better than before. I'm sure it will need to be tweeked some once all the body panels go back on but the rad mounts are oblonged just for that.

20190504_115615 by F G, on Flickr

20190504_115558 by F G, on Flickr
Ccass and 57vette like this.

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode