Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chevy68

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Craig

Blowing passenger side water pump gaskets

I have 383 abc with vintage air(no refrigerant yet) with March pulley system(so ccs rotation) Griffin custom fit radiator, Stewart stage 1 water pump, with 7 blade fan and clutch fan. Car will idle in garage for 30 minutes or drive through slow cruise traffic and never go over 180 degrees. Verified by checking ohms on sender and using instant read thermometer. Has 180 degree stat. After running for about 30 miles water will start leaking out of passenger side water pump gaskets. Between block and pump. Torn it apart 4 times same result. Tried Fel Pro gaskets only, then Fel Pro gaskets and silicone sealer same result. No issues with driver side also tested stat. Replaced probably 50 abc water pumps never an issue any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
George

Re: Blowing passenger side water pump gaskets

Did you check the mating surfaces of the pump with a straight edge? JMT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 07:59 AM
Senior Tech
George

Forgot to ask if you use thread sealer on mounting bolts?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 10:26 AM
John

Garage

Maybe a hairline crack in the WP

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 04:00 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Garage

Check your bolt length and make sure it not bottoming out.
dyno jonn and yellow69RS like this.

Thanks,

Jeff

1968 Camaro
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Craig

Yes coated threads on studs for water pump. Verified straight surfaces on block, water pump and March spacers for water pump. Also to ensure fasteners for water pump are not bottoming out. Did look more closely at water pump flanges per Vegas suggestion regarding hairline crack on pump flange. Did not see any issue there. Going to reassemble using thicker flange gaskets and plan to use permatex “tack” on both sides of gaskets that attach to March spacers and silicone sealer on block surface and water pump flanges. Thanks for the input.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 08:12 AM
Senior Tech

I use Permatex "water pump & thermostat" RTV. Put a skim coat on both sides of WP gaskets and use "Thread Sealer" on bolt threads
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 06:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agitator View Post
I have 383 abc with vintage air(no refrigerant yet) with March pulley system(so ccs rotation) Griffin custom fit radiator, Stewart stage 1 water pump, with 7 blade fan and clutch fan. Car will idle in garage for 30 minutes or drive through slow cruise traffic and never go over 180 degrees. Verified by checking ohms on sender and using instant read thermometer. Has 180 degree stat. After running for about 30 miles water will start leaking out of passenger side water pump gaskets. Between block and pump. Torn it apart 4 times same result. Tried Fel Pro gaskets only, then Fel Pro gaskets and silicone sealer same result. No issues with driver side also tested stat. Replaced probably 50 abc water pumps never an issue any ideas
Craig... Did you solve the leaking problem? I'm going to start assembling my serpentine setup and new water pump next week, was going to pick up some Fel Pro gaskets tomorrow, wondered if any kind of sealant was necessary with them, or just some sort of tacky stuff to just hold them in place. Typically, I would put anti-seize on the bolts, gotta find the torque specs as I think one side has a bottom out limit.-Mike
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 19, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Craig

Yes I believe I dis finally fix the problem. The March system spars that go between water pump and block were incorrectly machine on the passenger side for the water bypass hole. So they sent me a newer designed spacer for that side. Based on their recommendation I did not use sealant just Fel pro gaskets. I had water leaks on both sides. So I spoke with Stewart water pumps and they recommended I use a sealant. I ended up using Permatex water pump and thermostat gasket maker (#22071) a along with the gaskets. No problem all summer long. I believe my main problem was due to the incorrectly machined March spacer which they had revised very soon after I bought my system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode