Too hot 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Reggie

Angry Too hot 350

Help I can't take no more! Let me tell my story, I have a 69 camaro that about 8 years ago I built a 30 over 350, out of a 79 truck block, nothing special, low compression, mild cam. It always ran cool, never got hot, stock fan 3 core aluminum rad. Life was good. Then last year all my trouble began. I installed a vintage air ac system, there was a clearing issue with the water pump and the new two grove pulley so I changed the water pump, well I was out of antifreeze so I didn't top off the rad, I would buy more later , before i drove the car, right , months later I need to move the car and thought I should drive around the block, be good for it, right I forgot that I had never replaced the coolest, dum ***. So it got really hot 250, got home cooled it down, water in the oil. I tore it Dow to long block ,thought blown head gasket,but no the intake gasket had failed letting water into block, everything else looked good ,replaced all gaskets, but still runs hot 230 /250 just going around block, I go to electric fan puller 25,000 btus behind rad. Fan shroud , switch to 4 core rad , try different water pump, run 160 o thermalstat with two small holes drilled , jacked up front of car to burp cooling system, car still runs 200 degrees after driving around the block, set timing at 12/16 degrees advance with vacuum plugged, have hei dist, still runs 200 deg , fed up!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Too hot 350

SBC with AC got a 23" (BB) radiator....although a trip around the block you hit 200 degrees....sounds like a "coolant flow" problem...although with a rebuilt motor, new WP & radiator the cooling system should be clean

Have you checked every plug for any signs of coolant and cranked motor with plugs out to see if any coolant pukes out plug hole? (would indicate blown head gasket or cracked head)

Any sign of coolant dripping from either tail pipe??
post #3 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 10:46 AM
John

Garage

Have you verified the gauge is accurate?

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Reggie

I put in new auto meter guages ,thinking that might be the problem but they read the same as the first ones and I see no coolant coming from tail pipes
post #5 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rberry View Post
I see no coolant coming from tail pipes
what about through plug holes?
post #6 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 12:05 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

might check to see if your hoses are separating. Had that happen to a lower hose once. It separated internally and was blocking the supply to the pump.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #7 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Reggie

Ok I don't think bottom hose is coming apart it looked fine when I replaced water pump, and water can be seen moving in radiator when the cap is off. Haven't pulled plugs since I ran compression check all cylinders read about the same , no water in oil when I check dipsitck.
post #8 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

K, new thought, check the plugs, but also check that it's not running lean. You say the vacuum advance isn't hooked up, but that could make for a lean condition overheating your engine.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #9 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Reggie

No. Vacuum was plugged only to set initial timing , then advance hose is re connected to port vacuum
post #10 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Reggie

I opened ide screws on both sides of carb until highest rpm, should not be lean
post #11 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech

if it was a lean condition making the motor run that hot....the plugs would CLEARLY show lean so if you check plug color that would rule out that

If the cooling passages are not blocked for some reason, same with radiator, "maybe" WP is not working right (read impeller came off) or your T stat is sticking closed

Given you see water circulating though both seem to not be issue

Given the intake gasket let go due to overheating letting coolant in motor...head may be cracked or head gasket but then you should either see coolant dripping from one of he tail pipes (or white smoke) or coolant in oil

This car hits 200 degrees just driving around block, right?

Are you losing any coolant?
post #12 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

Did you check the sending unit and use a thermometer or laser thermometer to read the actual temperature of the coolant?

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #13 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Reggie

When I replaced the intake gasket I replaced the heat gaskets, now I did not take the heads to the machine shop to see if they were cracked but I took a good look at them and put a straight edge they seem to not be warped
post #14 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Reggie

I wonder about the water pump ,could it be the reversed rotation? When I get home I will check plugs and I will buy a laser thermometer to read the actual temp, also I have removed the thermal stat and drove the car no change.
post #15 of 139 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Reggie

One more thing, I can back the car into my garage and let it ide for 15 min. and the garage will be as clear as if the car is not running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode