• 1 Post By X-77 keith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967
Questions on Vintage Air

I am considering a VA Gen 4 kit for my 67.

Where does the compressor mount? I have a long water pump and the alternator is on the passenger side of the motor. Do I need to order a '69 kit instead?

Does the kit come with the necessary interior vents, or do i need to buy the vent kit separately (this is originally a non-ac car)?

Is the defrost ductwork replaced, or is the existing dcutwork re-used? If it needs ot be replaced, does the new defrost ductwork come in the kit?

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 02:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

The kits can be made to your car. With a long water pump the compressor would be on the drivers side over the power steering pump if you have one. If you say your car did not have original air conditioning all the vents and tubing will be supplied. They will not be exactly like the originals, but they are not bad. Its a nice kit. I have purchased a few.
keithl1967 likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 03:57 PM
John

Garage
Re: Questions on Vintage Air

The Gen IV kit replaces all OEM ductwork. It all comes out including the heater box and blower motor.

You get everything you need except belts, pulleys and heater hose.
keithl1967 likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 05:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

You can download the instructions specific to your year and non-A/C specific from their website. It will pretty much answer most of your questions.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 07:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

I installed a Gen IV on my 68 and I think you would be happier if you put the compressor on the passenger side and switch to a short water pump.

The ac hoses are much shorter and you can hide them under the fender.

Plus your car will look more "original", if you care about that.
keithl1967 likes this.

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 19, 07:34 AM
Tech Team
Jeremy

Garage

I just picked up a Gen IV kit for my 67. My alternator is on the passenger side. I'm running long water pump accessories. I ordered this kit from amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/Alternator-...A9TDHD9Q8FBRWK
Haven't installed it yet, but switching the alternator to the driver side and having the compressor on the passenger side, I think cleans up the hoses for a clean install. The kit includes all the brackets for the alternator, compressor and power steering.

Jeremy

1967 rs, 355 sbc, Pontiac 867 heads, Crower rockers, Isky roller cam, FiTech Power Adder 600, Hurst Drivelines T-56 Magnum, RAM clutch, 4.10 posi, Vision 18" wheels

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 19, 08:41 AM
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

I ordered from Matt's Classic Bowtie. They walked me through my car and customized the kit for me to fit exactly (long water pump, driver side mounted compressor, routing for my hoses, cable connectors to use old heater control etc). I was also able to customize the kit to use my pre-purchased center vent and also use my existing non-AC side vents. I highly recommend going with them.

1969 RS/SS 350 3.31 4 Speed (All Original)

Last edited by CDB; Jul 1st, 19 at 08:53 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 19, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
The Gen IV kit replaces all OEM ductwork. It all comes out including the heater box and blower motor.

You get everything you need except belts, pulleys, heater hose AND THE MIDGET CONTORTIONIST TO DO THE INSTALL .
fixed it for ya
keithl1967, DT, dhutton and 1 others like this.

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Thanks for the responses, all...will tall valve covers be a problem for the compressor at all?

sounds like the kits are pretty customizable...I'll give VA a call...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 04:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Valve covers should not be a factor. Almost 100 degrees here in VA today. Put almost a hundred miles on my car. Vintage air did a fine job of keeping me cool. Best upgrade in my opinion. It makes me drive the car when I would have said, lets wait till later to go out. I don't think you will regret it. I don't.
keithl1967 likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
Valve covers should not be a factor. Almost 100 degrees here in VA today. Put almost a hundred miles on my car. Vintage air did a fine job of keeping me cool. Best upgrade in my opinion. It makes me drive the car when I would have said, lets wait till later to go out. I don't think you will regret it. I don't.

any pics of your install?

considering going to short water pump and moving the alternator to the driver's side, but concerned that my fan depth in the shroud will change, and effect airflow through the radiator (it is perfect right now).

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 04:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I'm at work. Will be home Tuesday. You don't have to change the pump to put it on the passanger side. VA sells a bracket that will fix you up. You will need a aftermarket alt bracket though. Zoops sells that. My buddy did exactly that this past winter.

X-77 keith
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 10:27 AM
Apprentice
Don

Purchased VA Gen IV for my non air 67 a few years ago, same issue with long water pump and driver side mount compressor. I am just now getting to the install. Kit does come with all vents, however it is obvious they are "add-on" and so purchased the OEM style from VA which includes hose adaptors for an original look. VA also sells a kit to route a/c and heater hoses through the blower fan hole down through the kick panel vent opening, part # 526660. You can order kit however you want, they can modify kit to meet your choices. Or you can always change later for added expense! Call VA tech line, they have always been helpful and can let you know what's involved with different choices. Hope that helps!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 10:49 AM
Apprentice
Don

For what it's worth, I kept the long pump system. It just came down to the cost to changeover the brackets and pulleys I was missing for a short pump. As with anything in this hobby, it all comes down to how much you want to want to spend for what you get in return. That is an entirely subjective question only you can answer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode