• 1 Post By patman2
  • 2 Post By DOUG G

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Garage
Red face Overheating still...sorta

The engine in my 68 is a 73 350. The wiring needed some work, and when I got the temp light hooked up, it came on after a few minutes of running.

I figured out that the sender was for a gauge, not an idiot light, so thatís why the light would show dim, and gradually get brighter. I hit the local NAPA and asked for a new sender for an idiot light, and a new thermostat...but the light still came on.

Thereís a show on the 6th I wanted to make (castle in the clouds, moultonborough) so I wanted to solve the overheating before then.

Next up on the hitlist was a new water pump. I mail ordered a new one and a few other bits. The parts arrived on the 1st.

I stripped the front of the engine down on the 2nd to discover Iíd mail ordered a short pump by mistake. I called NAPA on the 3rd and they said the long pump wasnít in stock, but theyíd have it by 3pm. My wife stopped by at 3:45...to find a sign in the window saying they closed early at 3pm, and would be closed on the 4th.

A 45 minute drive to the nearest place that was open got me a pump. I spent a few hours on the 4th pulling the rest of it, including pulling the dampener and putting a sleeve on, and a new front seal in the timing cover to (hopefully) cure an oil leak. Then it was clean/paint/reassemble with the new water pump, and wait for the rtv to cure.

Tonight I finished the last of the assembly, put the coolant back in, and took it for a drive around the block...

...and then the temp light came on again...

Something wasnít adding up. The engine didnít seem that hot, and my infrared temp gun showed 185.

I pulled out the sales slip for the new sender, and looked up the part number. Sunofabich...itís for a gauge not a light.

Sooo...going to the show Saturday anyway, temp light and all.

69-Pace likes this.

Pat - 68 Camaro Coupe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Re: Overheating still...sorta

Had the same issue. . . . .put some black tape over the red temp light!!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Garage

Made it to the show and back today, about a 30 minute ride, no problems. It was about 90* today, I shot it with the infrared temperature gun when I got back and it read 198. Not great, but not horrible. Itís a 1 - core radiator, that needs to get upgraded.

I might have to look into some a/c. Got pretty toasty in there with no headliner or carpet! I miss the vent windows I had in my 64 Nova SS...crank em all the way out and it scooped up the air and made a nice wind tunnel in the car.

Pat - 68 Camaro Coupe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Garage

Duplicate post

Pat - 68 Camaro Coupe -

Last edited by patman2; Jul 6th, 19 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Dup
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 06:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lee

Garage

My SBC ran a little hotter then I liked also, (205-210). I upgraded to a Cold Case BB radiator ( bought off of this site) and a EMP/STEWARD 180 fail safe thermostat. Now runs 180-185 in 90į weather. Direct fit the only thing I had to get was a BB shroud $90.

1969, X-11
383 5 speed, 373 rear
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 04:39 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman2 View Post
Made it to the show and back today, about a 30 minute ride, no problems. It was about 90* today, I shot it with the infrared temperature gun when I got back and it read 198. Not great, but not horrible. Itís a 1 - core radiator, that needs to get upgraded.

I might have to look into some a/c. Got pretty toasty in there with no headliner or carpet! I miss the vent windows I had in my 64 Nova SS...crank em all the way out and it scooped up the air and made a nice wind tunnel in the car.
you need the SWAMP COOLER
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 06:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
you need the SWAMP COOLER
Could also load up some bottle rockets or Roman Candles to move along the slower traffic in front!

Brett....

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 02:04 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Just for giggles I was playing with my new OBD2 scanner with an app I downloaded. I was playing in my truck with it seeing how the gauges lined up with my tablet.
Then I went to my daughters Jeep JK....temp was 237* when the fan came on....I

After some digging on the net.... I found this was normal. (jeep normal)

So, in saying this, all I'm getting at is, it's not over heating until it boils over. If you can keep it below 210ish and no boil over, you're fine.
allanjs and 69-Pace like this.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode