2 or 4 row - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
stan

2 or 4 row

Was just about to pull the trigger on a big block 4 row aluminum radiator and started reading a thread about the difference between a big 2 row as per 4 row .
I had nothing but GREAT HELP on this sight getting my 69 camaro back together, absolutely could not have done it without many of y'alls help and opinions.
I'm down to two things left which one of is a new radiator, my question on this is pretty straightforward, in radiators on the market today does a large 2 row outperform a regular 4 row under the same setup.
My second issue is quality, I've noticed some companies with some less than average looking welds as well as plastic petcocks and fittings.
I would prefer to pay extra for a better fitting longer lasting product than be stuck on the side of the road in a bad area with extra change in my pocket.
Thanks for any and all info.
69 Camaro BB 427/454, automatic/A/C,sniper/ mild build grocery getter 500hp .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 05:57 PM
John

Garage
Re: 2 or 4 row

Imho. 2 row

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
stan

It seems the more I read up on it,the 2 row with 1 1/4 tubes is the ticket, what I have now isn't bad except after three attempts at three local radiator shops to get it to quit leaking ,it still drips.
It seems the prior owner of the car had a 4 row 20" core matched up to the small block tanks.
Seems people are pretty satisfied with a 2row up to 500 hp.
Looks like I'll make my decision tomorrow,
Thanks

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 02:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

I have a Griffin two row, with 1-1/4" tubes and I don't see any heat issues on my 396.

Brett....

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 03:04 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

I have a 3 row champion on my 11-1 compression SB. stays at 175-180* all day long

electric fans are no longer there. using a belt driven fan
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 03:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Definitely go with 1-1/4" tubes. I have a single pass 1-1/4" tube and it seems to be finally cooling my 572 after the addition of dual 12" HO Spal fans. From everything i've been told/read, a 2 pass will be more efficient in pulling out more heat.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
stan

Man looking at some of y'alls setups I can only wish to having mine look as well one day.
My dilemma I guess I would say is, I'm looking to keep the factory shroud with regular belt fan ,I'm hoping this with a small push fan in front of the condenser will do the trick.
Looking between the Griffin or Cold Case two row, can anyone suggest from experience if a clutch fan would help as well or which one I should look at, I'm getting pretty tired of the neighbors laughing at me sitting in the car making burnout sounds all night on the jack stands.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 07:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lee

Garage

I have the BB Cold Case and couldn't be happier. cured my heating problems along with a EMP/Steward 180 fail safe thermostat. Highly recommend both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1554657333196.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	228999  
57vette likes this.

1969, X-11
383 5 speed, 373 rear
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGIES View Post
I'm getting pretty tired of the neighbors laughing at me sitting in the car making burnout sounds all night on the jack stands.
Sounds like you need new neighbors! They need to grab a wrench and help out!
wireboy355 likes this.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 07:53 AM
Eric

When you go to aluminum, 2 big rows will always outcool 3 or 4 smaller rows.
Get something with 2 rows and 1.25" tubes. We have that if we are in your budget/range.

Follow Cold Case on Facebook and Instagram!

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 10:35 AM
Chris Casperson

Send a message via AIM to Ccass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGIES View Post
Man looking at some of y'alls setups I can only wish to having mine look as well one day.
My dilemma I guess I would say is, I'm looking to keep the factory shroud with regular belt fan ,I'm hoping this with a small push fan in front of the condenser will do the trick.
Looking between the Griffin or Cold Case two row, can anyone suggest from experience if a clutch fan would help as well or which one I should look at, I'm getting pretty tired of the neighbors laughing at me sitting in the car making burnout sounds all night on the jack stands.
Both models should accomplish your goals. Cold Case has tabs welded on the radiator to hold the OEM fan shroud in place in the factory spots. The clutch's purpose it to help cool your motor and eliminate drag at higher speeds because it essentially free floats.

With either model, there should be no need for a pusher fan. Just make sure you leave about 1/2" to 1" gap between the condenser and the rad.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Fool around, Get hurt, Don't come cry'n to me.
Founder
Pypes Performance Exhaust
Cold Case Performance Radiators
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

send me a private message.as I can't send you one. I would like to show you some pictures and tell you about my setup before you spend more money than you have to
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 01:30 PM
Chris Casperson

Send a message via AIM to Ccass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
Both models should accomplish your goals. Cold Case has tabs welded on the radiator to hold the OEM fan shroud in place in the factory spots. The clutch's purpose it to help cool your motor and eliminate drag at higher speeds because it essentially free floats.

With either model, there should be no need for a pusher fan. Just make sure you leave about 1/2" to 1" gap between the condenser and the rad.

Hope this helps.

Chris
I just realized I kind of skipped over Flat Tire's post. There was no disrespect for that setup. That setup is very nice. I didn't mean to infer that 3 row radiators can't get the job done. What I am saying is that big 2 row will outcool a small 3 row every time. Does everyone need that capacity? no.

It's kind of like an insurance policy. If you have the best, then you know that you have to start looking elsewhere if there is still a problem.

In the topic starters situation, it appears like he just wants a radiator as apposed to a kit. So that probably means an oem style fan shroud will be used. Which does not fit well on a 3 row fabricated tank radiator.

Fool around, Get hurt, Don't come cry'n to me.
Founder
Pypes Performance Exhaust
Cold Case Performance Radiators
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
I just realized I kind of skipped over Flat Tire's post. There was no disrespect for that setup. That setup is very nice. I didn't mean to infer that 3 row radiators can't get the job done. What I am saying is that big 2 row will outcool a small 3 row every time. Does everyone need that capacity? no.

It's kind of like an insurance policy. If you have the best, then you know that you have to start looking elsewhere if there is still a problem.

In the topic starters situation, it appears like he just wants a radiator as apposed to a kit. So that probably means an oem style fan shroud will be used. Which does not fit well on a 3 row fabricated tank radiator.
no problem. but I checked your price as compared to champion and I realize why I went with champion
no disrespect. but when on a budget every penny counts and when the same product that will do the same job, I could care less about name brands. as I stated NO DISRESPECT TO YOUR PRODUCT
and as far as the stock shroud bracket, anyone that knows how to use tin snips can make something that will hold the stock radiator shroud in place for the price of tin they have laying around and SAVE MONEY
fancy name brands are for money people, not those on a budget just my opinion nothing else
Just 1 More likes this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 02:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Although I have a fancy new aluminum radiator with dual fans on the Camaro,
My pretty nice big cam 10.5 comp NOS equipped SBC 70 Chevelle just had a local shop re-cored stock radiator with a core that had a tighter fin pattern than the OEM one, and an engine driven fan,never had any heat issues. It was an A/C car so it was a decent sized stock radiator.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode