Need Help Running Down Lower Radiator Hose - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Vega
  • 1 Post By allanjs
  • 2 Post By Brettallen59
  • 2 Post By Brettallen59

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage
Need Help Running Down Lower Radiator Hose

I have a new setup and I am having a problem locating a lower radiator hose that will fit or that I can modify. I used to have a long water pump setup on my 396 and the water pump had a 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 connection on it. Now that I installed a CVF Racing Serpentine belt setup. The water pump that came with it is a short water pump with a 2" connection. I went to AutoZone and grabbed one I thought would fit, but the length coming off of the W/P was too long and I cant cut it because I would be cutting off the 2" molded shape. So I ordered one off fleabay and it is a P/N RHK215. Funny thing is it states it is a "Lower Radiator Hose-BBV8", but the description on the GM Restoration Parts sticker it says; "Radiator Hose Kit-Upper" I have the same problem with it- It is too long on the side with the 2" molded opening and I can't cut it because I would be cutting off the 2" part.

Anyone out there have a part number I can order or a particular one listed that will fit the 2" water pump, but is short enough to make the turn into the radiator? It looks like the radiator end is 1-3/4-1/7/8.
Thanks!
Brett......

The new Serpentine set up looks cleaner. Even though it moves the alternator up higher, it moves the A/C compressor over to the passenger side, which shortens the hoses a bunch. The top is before and the lower is current. I have some nicer valve covers that I need to machine the fins before I can put them on.

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

Last edited by Brettallen59; Sep 8th, 19 at 05:35 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 06:13 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Need Help Running Down Lower Radiator Hose

you can cut out a section of the part of hose that is the smaller diameter and use a metal sleeve of that size to splice in if you can't find a "one piece" hose that fits your custom application
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 06:53 AM
John

Garage

Many time this is an issue as there are no part #s because every set up is different.

I bend up a coat hanger to represent the hose and the local Oreilly and Carquest store let me go behind the counter to match my wires to the hoses on the wall. Sometimes you get lucky and find the perfect hose. Other times you find one that requires cutting the needed section out of a longer hose.
HawkX66 likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Many time this is an issue as there are no part #s because every set up is different.

I bend up a coat hanger to represent the hose and the local Oreilly and Carquest store let me go behind the counter to match my wires to the hoses on the wall. Sometimes you get lucky and find the perfect hose. Other times you find one that requires cutting the needed section out of a longer hose.
Yes John, this is what I was going to do when I got out this morning, but SoCal805's idea prompted me to go onto the Summit website and I see that there are some adapters that I was unaware of. I found one that might enable me to use my old hose as it reduces a 2" down. I do have some options so far. I was able to go "Backstage" at Oreily's looking for a belt a while back so I'll go there this morning.

Thanks!

Brett.....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
you can cut out a section of the part of hose that is the smaller diameter and use a metal sleeve of that size to splice in if you can't find a "one piece" hose that fits your custom application
Yes, I like your idea and will probably do that if my treasure hunt this morning at OReilly's or at NAPA is unsuccessful.

Brett.....

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 07:30 AM
Team Member
Don

Speedway has quite a few options:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/...14-4-585-30521

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Speedway has quite a few options:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/...14-4-585-30521

Don
Don that's a great option. I might get the 3" long x 1-3/4 O.D. Thanks!
Brett....

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Brett, Here's a link to Gates molded hoses with dimensions and illustrations.
You may find it helpful.
https://assets.gates.com/content/dam...-guide_web.pdf
dhutton likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Brett, Here's a link to Gates molded hoses with dimensions and illustrations.
You may find it helpful.
https://assets.gates.com/content/dam...-guide_web.pdf
Al, now that was a lot of help! I found four that might just work. That couldn't have been better information. I'll let you know if I find any of them in stock.

Thanks a lot!
Brett......
allanjs and yellow69RS like this.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech

OP

Obviously you want to find a hose that fits but if you hit the wall the "metal tube splice" type solution is done often. Even using two donor hoses that have no application to your set up but have the right bend/size for one end while another hose section fits the other end leaving you to "bridge" them together with a metal pipe sleeve and clamps. You likely have seen a few cars with this kind of plumbing

Good luck on finding something. Who knows maybe a 2003 Suburu lower hose and a Miata upper cut spliced...(joking about car model)

NAPA, back when auto parts were looked up from huge catalogs on counter, the guy let me look through them until I found something to fix a similar issue on another car. I bought 2 of those so I would not have to do it again later
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

The Gates catalog was really helpful. I picked five that looked like they would work, wrote down the part numbers, Went to Oreily's, he had none of them in stock-had to order all of them, which he said he could do and I did not have to pay for them. One was going to be here today. The rest, less one, will be here tomorrow. The last one will be here Tuesday. I will match them up with my "Coat Hanger Gauge". I could just buy them all and the one's that don't fit take them back. I probably won't. I should be able to tell which one will work. I am aware that the splice method is done quite a bit, but I want the fewest failure points as possible if I can. There were some good splice options on Summit, so that is always an option.
Brett....

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 02:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Brett...

A standard '67-'68 BBC lower hose won't fit? Is the radiator's lower connector angled? Going to be diving into this same deal very shortly.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 02:18 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

FYI. Make sure the lower hose you install has a large metal coil/spring inside. If not, the hose will suck shut over time and cause an over heating issue. Your new setup looks nice!

Good Luck
Mike
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vette View Post
Brett...

A standard '67-'68 BBC lower hose won't fit? Is the radiator's lower connector angled? Going to be diving into this same deal very shortly.
The standard hose will not work due to the water pump connector being 2" in diameter. most OEM W/Ps are 1-3/4". I think I found a Gates hose. I will know this time tomorrow and let you know with part number.

Brett...

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

The hose I found is Gates P/N 21256. It is 2" x 1.75" x 14.9" long. It fit without cutting either end, but it is borderline long, meaning it could probably be cut a little, like 1/4" or so on each end, but I did not cut it.

Brett.....
HawkX66 and allanjs like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode