BBC eFan - Single 16" or Dual 11"? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

4Likes
  • 1 Post By eric_cspan
  • 1 Post By eric_cspan
  • 1 Post By eric_cspan
  • 1 Post By 57vette

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Oct 14th, 19, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
BBC eFan - Single 16" or Dual 11"?

I'm inevitably going to go with an aluminum radiator, and since I've gone serpentine, it looks like an eFan setup is going to be part of the package. Just curious about you guys running big blocks, eFans, aluminum radiators... what's working for you? Also might bring serpentine setups into the picture as they _might_ block some air from moving around the motor.

I'm thinking about using a ColdCase or other 2-tube radiator, but until it's mounted on the core support, I'm not sure about whether a single fan system will fit ok, or whether it has the CFM to cool my 461. I will note that with the 4-core COPO-style curved neck radiator and a no-clutch 7-blade fan, I had no cooling issues in normal driving in any hot weather.

Things to consider; Vintage Air, possibly going EFI down the road.

Are most DeRale, Flex-A-Lite, Spal and other name brand fans multi-speed? I did read in another thread that in a dual-fan setup you don't want one fan working and the other possibly freewheeling in reverse, it that true?

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 14th, 19, 05:53 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: BBC eFan - Single 16" or Dual 11"?

IF you go with a single fan....Look into a Mark VIII or Taurus fan.

I've been told 4000+cfm

But, as with ANY E-fan, you will need to make sure you have the voltage/Amps needed and get a relay to handle the draw it pulls.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Old Oct 15th, 19, 07:52 AM
Eric

What's your clearance from support to pulleys?

It all really depends on what fans you use. For our setups a single 16" will flow much better than dual 11" but there may also be more clearance issues obviously.

With our radiator and the factory shroud and clutch fan, you may be just fine like you said.
LeeC likes this.

Follow Cold Case on Facebook and Instagram!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Oct 23rd, 19, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_cspan View Post
What's your clearance from support to pulleys?

It all really depends on what fans you use. For our setups a single 16" will flow much better than dual 11" but there may also be more clearance issues obviously.

With our radiator and the factory shroud and clutch fan, you may be just fine like you said.
Eric... Right now its kind of hard to determine because the 4-core COPO-style radiator is out so I can only show you some pictures and give you approximate measurements from the core support to the cone of the pulleys. And as we know, the core support is slightly curved with a "bow" towards the center. I put a straight edge on the core and measured from the leading edge. When the radiators in place, there's obviously a slight gap at the outer edges.

I haven't finished installing yet, they sent me a chrome alternator, should've been polished aluminum like the compressor. Everything's loose, nothing totally tightened down. There's a cone-shaped billet pulley for the alternator that I'm not installing yet until I straighten out the polished aluminum swap. But other than these dimensions, tell me what else is needed.

Interesting that you say a single fan flows better, have you tested something like the staggered 2-11" Derale fans pictured? Also, what are the specs on your single fan (CFM, diameter, RPM, Current Draw, Speeds)? Also, can you post some pictures of your BBC setup for a 1st Gen Camaro? I can find pix of the radiator, but haven't seen any with your shroud and fan. As Doug pointed out, the Lincoln Mk VIII/Taurus single 16" fan is one adapted by many performance DIY'ers because of that 4000 CFM capacity, but it has at least a 30 Amp draw, and many will rig it with a 50 Amp Fuse and appropriate wiring, relays, etc..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearance-00.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	230033   Click image for larger version

Name:	DeRale11%22Fans-00.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	230035  

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels

Last edited by 57vette; Oct 23rd, 19 at 09:31 AM.
Old Oct 23rd, 19, 09:49 AM
Eric

This helps.
So we now the radiator sticks off the rad support maybe half an inch too so you have to take that into consideration.

I can tell you our kit will not work because you need about 6.5" of clearance.
We use a 2500cfm fan. Compared to 2x 11" fans would probably be around 2300 or 2400 depending on which brand fans you are using.

I am not saying one single fan is better necessarily. In our case, it is because of the flow ratings. You really just have to go off the CFM rating.

Looks like you'd only have about 2-2.5" inches for a shroud and fan. And in your setup, it looks like a dual fan won't save you any clearance, so I would just go with the highest rated CFM setup.

I've attached a picture of ours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CHC11AK-web.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	230037  
57vette likes this.

Old Oct 23rd, 19, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
This helps.
So we now the radiator sticks off the rad support maybe half an inch too so you have to take that into consideration.

I can tell you our kit will not work because you need about 6.5" of clearance.
We use a 2500cfm fan. Compared to 2x 11" fans would probably be around 2300 or 2400 depending on which brand fans you are using.
So your saying that while ColdCase makes a compatible (size-wise) aluminum radiator for our 1st Gen Camaro's, the combination of the shroud and the fan would preclude using them in a "typical" 6-row serpentine belt system?

Quote:
I am not saying one single fan is better necessarily. In our case, it is because of the flow ratings. You really just have to go off the CFM rating.

Looks like you'd only have about 2-2.5" inches for a shroud and fan. And in your setup, it looks like a dual fan won't save you any clearance, so I would just go with the highest rated CFM setup.

I've attached a picture of ours.
I'm curious as to the dimensions of your shroud and separately the mounted fan. Also curious if you sell the shroud without the fan?

Old Oct 23rd, 19, 12:13 PM
Eric

For those cars yes. We made the full combo set up for guys that absolutely need the most cooling and the most airflow. It's a big kit so most either modify or have different setups that get around it.

Our shroud sticks out about .5" from the core. The fan cage adds another 2"-3" at furthest point.

We can sell just the shroud sure. You can then source a more lower profile fan.
57vette likes this.

Old Dec 1st, 19, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
For those cars yes. We made the full combo set up for guys that absolutely need the most cooling and the most airflow. It's a big kit so most either modify or have different setups that get around it.

Our shroud sticks out about .5" from the core. The fan cage adds another 2"-3" at furthest point.

We can sell just the shroud sure. You can then source a more lower profile fan.
Eric... Wish you guys made a shroud along these lines (see image below) for the BBC radiator. I photoshopped an existing shroud image to your BBC radiator. The "wings" on the sides would allow two (2) 12" low profile, high CFM fans to pull plenty of air. And there's probably room for 2-4 rubber flaps to allow airflow at highway speed to pass thru.

I'm still researching fans because there are OEM single larger 16"/19" fans like the Volvo 940 (Ford design), Thunderbird, Crown Vic, and MOPAR units that pull over 3000 CFM. And then there's the usual aftermarket smaller 11'/12" fans from Spal, Flex-A-Lite, Derale, and Mishimoto that pull in the high teens.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ColdCaseFix-00.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	818.8 KB
ID:	231107  
LeeC likes this.

Old Dec 2nd, 19, 03:16 PM
Eric

Well that's a clean looking job and photoshop crop.
It would be nice for us to offer that. I'm afraid it's just not in our line of shroud work in order to do that.

Old Dec 2nd, 19, 06:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

For all it's worth, a single 16" fan will pull more square inches of surface area than two 11" fans.
Old Dec 3rd, 19, 09:34 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I just ordered this combo from Dewitts. Summit has a deal right now with a savings code, if that goes away DeWitts is having 10% right now.

I have run these before and itís the best set up I have ever run, has lifetime warranty and is all American made.

https://www.dewitts.com/collections/...21235682639954

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dwr-4139022a

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Old Dec 4th, 19, 04:33 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Good luck.
I bought a champion BB radiator for my SB along with their shroud and fans.
I tried it first without flaps . went about 7 miles and saw 230 on the gauge. come home, removed the shroud and added flaps. went the same route and saw the same numbers
ordered a mechanical seven blade derale fan and solved my problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in