BBC water bypass line - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Vega
  • 1 Post By Larger Dave
  • 1 Post By Lonnie P

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

BBC water bypass line

I have a 396 with a 180 thermostat. The car wants to run 197, when I put a line clamp on the bypass line the car runs at 187. I take the clam off it hose back to 197. Just sitting idling it runs 187 clamped or in clamped. Is this bypass line needed or can I just plug it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 10:36 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: BBC water bypass line

You didn't fill in your location so I can not answer your question. The by-pass hose is necessary if you live in a cold climate. In Central Florida it is not needed, and most around here block the ports with pipe plugs. In Nome Alaska, that is a different proposition.

Big Dave
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

I live in Tampa fla. when I plug the intake an the water pump do I need to drill 2 holes in the thermostat or get one with the holes in it. In the past I tried a 160 thermostat it also ran 197-200

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 06:22 AM
John

Garage

A 160* stat will not make it run cooler. I use t-stats that already have the bypass.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

If I ran a stat with a bypass would that put me in the same position Iím in now with the bypass hose. Running 10į warmer
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 08:35 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foss396 View Post
If I ran a stat with a bypass would that put me in the same position Iím in now with the bypass hose. Running 10į warmer
Won't make any diff. If you run a 160* stat it will be fully open when you reach any temp over 160*

I think your clamping of the by pass is not actually affecting the coolant temp. Possible it's only affecting the gauge reading.

Where is your temp sensor located.

Use an infrared heat gun to see what the temps are,
rp930 likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I think the issue is in your water pump. If you close the by pass hose and it has has any affect at all on cooling then water flow is an issue.

The factory water pump uses an open paddle wheel that attempts to beat the water into submission. An enclosed water pump wheel such as used with an Edelbrock aluminum housing water pump will assure you that the the blades are uniform in length and the water is being forced from the inside pick up point to the inside of the casting. Better yet you can move twice the volume of water with half of the horsepower to drive the pump by buying a Stewart water pump that has a scroll impeller instead of a paddle wheel and a casting with a positive displacement that controls the water path.

Usually if your car over heats at idle but not at cruising speed then the issue is with your fan and shroud. If it over heats at cruising speed the radiator is the problem (assumes you have good hoses).

Big Dave
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Won't make any diff. If you run a 160* stat it will be fully open when you reach any temp over 160*

I think your clamping of the by pass is not actually affecting the coolant temp. Possible it's only affecting the gauge reading.

Where is your temp sensor located.

Use an infrared heat gun to see what the temps are,
I have one in the head one In the intake one in the head is Analog using the one in the intake is digital for the fuel injection
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

I have an Edelbrock water pump. The engine has never gotten over 209 during the hotter months of the summer. i just noticed it ran 10 degrees cooler with the bypass line clamped. So that is why am considering plugging the intake in the top of the water pump.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 12:04 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

If you have a candy thermometer (accurate to a tenth of a degree F) you can pop the radiator cap (when it is cold) to see what your actual temp is quite easily.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Taylor-Pr...ll&athena=true

This assumes you are not reading the digital temperature output off of your tuning software.

Big Dave
Foss396 likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

The bypass hose takes hot water back into the pump & mixes it with the cooled water from the radiator which is used to cool the engine. This will cause the car to run hotter, when you are at the limits of the radiator capacity, as you have proven.

If you had sufficient cooling capacity it would not make a difference as the stat would be trying to raise the temp, whereas your car needs all the cooling it can get & is already running above the stat setting.

The reason for the bypass is to allow circulation in the engine when the stat is closed.
You can always block the bypass & run the stat with two or more 1/4" drilled holes in it. The car will take slightly longer to warm up & may run slightly below the stat setting in very cold weather but at least all the water is now flowing through the radiator. Also allow the car to warm up slightly before exposing it to high RPM as you are essentially nearly blocking all of the water pumps flow.

You can also get a small freeze plug, drill a hole in it & place it in the bypass line instead.
Larger Dave likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Iíve questioned the radiator before, griffin swears it will cool up to 700 hp. Iím running 380 at the wheels. I do like drilling a small freeze plug idea
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Get a freeze plug & drill a 5/16" hole & see how it works.
Freeze plugs are cheap & easy to try, but keep in mind, the best cooling will still be from blocking the bypass entirely & running a drilled stat.

Also if you have a heater in the car & there is no isolation valve on it, you are also continuously recirculating water through it & can safely eliminate the bypass completely. In this case, you can just stick an undrilled freeze plug in the bypass & leave it connected for a proper look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode