Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 19, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

GM 772 Cooling Fan on 68

Hello all,

Keep your cool I have read many times that folks have used a 69 (or later) GM 772 Style fan on a 67 or 68 BB with great success. Sooo, I decided to abandon my noisy electric fans and go for it. I ordered and attempted to install the fan with a new 2707 Hayden fan clutch. Fundamentally everything bolts up just fine, but the the tips of the fan hit the underside of the upper shroud support Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was the solution? The car came with a Be Cool radiator years ago when i got it, but since the upper shroud is attached to the rad support, this should have no affect.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 19, 04:45 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Garage
Re: GM 772 Cooling Fan on 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fixit View Post
Hello all,

Keep your cool I have read many times that folks have used a 69 (or later) GM 772 Style fan on a 67 or 68 BB with great success. Sooo, I decided to abandon my noisy electric fans and go for it. I ordered and attempted to install the fan with a new 2707 Hayden fan clutch. Fundamentally everything bolts up just fine, but the the tips of the fan hit the underside of the upper shroud support Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was the solution? The car came with a Be Cool radiator years ago when i got it, but since the upper shroud is attached to the rad support, this should have no affect.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve,

I have the 772 fan on my 68 BBC without any issues.

Thanks,

Jeff

1968 Camaro
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 19, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy68 View Post
Steve,

I have the 772 fan on my 68 BBC without any issues.
Thanks for the confirmation Jeff, I will study the situation in order to see what needs to move in order to make it work. If you donít mind, could you please let me know if you have BB engine mounts, long water pump and what the clearance is between the tip of the fan and the upper rad mount?

Thanks again,

Steve

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 19, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation Jeff, I will study the situation in order to see what needs to move in order to make it work. If you donít mind, could you please let me know if you have BB engine mounts, long water pump and what the clearance is between the tip of the fan and the upper rad mount?

Thanks again,

Steve
Steve,

It is sitting on BB frame mount and currently has a long water pump with a 69 BB shroud with about 1Ē clearance at the top and sides of the shroud. It originally had a short pump with the 68 shroud without issues.

Thanks,

Jeff

1968 Camaro
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 19, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Steve,

It is sitting on BB frame mount and currently has a long water pump with a 69 BB shroud with about 1Ē clearance at the top and sides of the shroud. It originally had a short pump with the 68 shroud without issues.
Interesting. I believe that I have the same setup as you have described, but as I had stated previously the tips of the fan blades hit the upper fan shroud. This is taking place without the shroud installed which will only make matters worse. I spent the time I had today working in the vintage air install and never got to the issue at hand. Thanks again for your input Jeff.

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 01:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

I wonder if it could be your tranny mount? If your cross-member does not have the correct spacer/mount, it could cause your engine to sit low in the back, but high in the front. It would seem to me like a small amount on the tranny would have a larger effect on the front. Also, do you have a BBC shroud?

Brett....

Rockets Up In 2020!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
I wonder if it could be your tranny mount? If your cross-member does not have the correct spacer/mount, it could cause your engine to sit low in the back, but high in the front. It would seem to me like a small amount on the tranny would have a larger effect on the front. Also, do you have a BBC shroud?

Brett....

Brett,

The tranny mount spacer/shim is a great idea and makes perfect sense. The tranny is a TKO 600 with a BBC cross member that I installed new with the tranny some time ago. I think that I do recall having to play around with the level at the tail of the tranny in order to get proper drive shaft angle as a result of a full Hotchkis suspension which included lowering ride height.

Currently there is no shroud since I am just trying to dry fit a new fan and fan clutch assembly after removing an electric fan setup that was marginal to begin with. As mentioned, the tips of the fan blades hit the underside of the top shroud bracket with no shroud yet installed. I will get the car on the lift to check things out and get back soon. Thanks for the idea.

Steve

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech
jeff

Check your pinion angle after you shim the transmission.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Brett,

The tranny mount spacer/shim is a great idea and makes perfect sense. The tranny is a TKO 600 with a BBC cross member that I installed new with the tranny some time ago. I think that I do recall having to play around with the level at the tail of the tranny in order to get proper drive shaft angle as a result of a full Hotchkis suspension which included lowering ride height.

Currently there is no shroud since I am just trying to dry fit a new fan and fan clutch assembly after removing an electric fan setup that was marginal to begin with. As mentioned, the tips of the fan blades hit the underside of the top shroud bracket with no shroud yet installed. I will get the car on the lift to check things out and get back soon. Thanks for the idea.

Steve

Follow up to the effort. I had in fact previously raised the rear mount .150 which was done in order to get alignment of the pinion angle. I just removed those shims and doubled the thickness to .300 and there was no virtually affect at the fan. I am wondering if I would need to loosen everything including the header collectors in order to get real results. Attached are a couple of pics of the fan issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro Cooling Fan2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	230089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro Cooling Fan.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	230091  

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 07:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Follow up to the effort. I had in fact previously raised the rear mount .150 which was done in order to get alignment of the pinion angle. I just removed those shims and doubled the thickness to .300 and there was no virtually affect at the fan. I am wondering if I would need to loosen everything including the header collectors in order to get real results. Attached are a couple of pics of the fan issue.
Ah Ha! Steve, I found your problem. The shroud mount you have is a small block mount (either that, or this is a 69 BBC mount & shroud). Look at my pics below. I am using a BBC mount and shroud. The mount is much shorter and the shroud goes higher at the top, so that is how the fan clears. My fan is going the same height as yours.

Brett......

Rockets Up In 2020!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

Last edited by Brettallen59; Oct 27th, 19 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typo
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Ah Ha! Steve, I found your problem. The shroud mount you have is a small block mount (either that, or this is a 69 BBC mount & shroud). Look at my pics below. I am using a BBC mount and shroud. The mount is much shorter and the shroud goes higher at the top, so that is how the fan clears. My fan is going the same height as yours.

Brett......

Brett,

That's awesome, thanks for the pics. The mount was already there and the PO used it to mount the top of the electric fans. It didn't occur to me that it may not be a BBC mount. I will look online to see the various years/stiles and go from there.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Garage

That is the correct mount for a 68 BB, 69 used the short mount.
flat tire likes this.

Thanks,

Jeff

1968 Camaro
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 01:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
I was afraid of that. Well if it would work for him to get the 69 shorty, wouldn't that be okay?

Brett......

Rockets Up In 2020!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
I looked it up and see that you are correct. Since I am not concerned with correctness, I think I could use the short bracket. I will likely fabricate a polished aluminum shroud anyway since I suspect that a factory one wonít fit properly.

Thank you,

Steve

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
I was afraid of that. Well if it would work for him to get the 69 shorty, wouldn't that be okay?

Brett......
Thatís what I think I will do. Just hoping that there wonít be a hood clearance issue with the upward protruding radius of the shroud intersecting the underside of the hood. More to come. Thanks again for your help Brett.

Steve

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode