Team Camaro Tech banner

Removing A/C hoses when pulling engine, whats the best place?

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Niblet 
#1 ·
Hi
I'm pulling my engine, and need to disconnect the A/C lines from the compressor and don't really want to disturb the "block" in the back of the compressor, unless I need to.
the A/C lines have these worm type clamps, if I undo the clamps will the hoses pull off? or is there more to the A/C hoses/lines that meet the eye? are they solid aluminum tubes with rubber coatings or true hoses?

appreciate it I don't want to destroy them

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I believe you are correct, after I gave it a good tug. and the car moved,,I realized this wasn't correct, so I removed the Block at the compressor and all went well
I would have had to cut those hose off like an APE,,I did however bust the hell out of my AC "shroud" or whatever its called or it was busted before
even with a SBC there isn't much clearance between he A/C "box" and the exhaust manifold. I should have come forward more. but I got a cheap *** engine hoist
and that that dam "nub" on the PG held me up on the crossmember,,it was a **** show but I got the engine out

anyone have a 67 A/C box in great shape they want to sell?

#7 ·
So you saved your 50 year old brittle hoses and you busted your evaporator suitcase.....

I’ve got a couple of evaporator suitcases.

Don

#8 ·
I'm not so sure those were the original hoses, they seem serviceable to me so I left them alone. This car never will be "original" so originality is not a factor here

How much do you want for your evaporator suitcases, ( I would be interested in a couple, as both of my cars have factory A/c)
if they are in good shape.

Who makes a decent quality replacement hose if I decide to go that route?
Thanks again

#12 ·
I would have gone that route if the system was intact, I gotta gain access and replace the heater core, dig into the dash, figure out why the fan doesn't blow,
etc etc and so forth, so in other words I'm going to end up with a new factory A/C system by the time its all said and done

#13 ·
I believe those original R-12 era/type hoses are hard to find NOS or even generic, and probably would be "petrified" after 50 years if you could find them. From what I've heard, the newer type R134 hoses that the usual suppliers sell, have a firmer smoother lining, and are difficult to get a good seat and seal on the original style aluminum barbed fittings and higher pressure lines, especially when using the screw clamps. If factory correct is not needed, you may want to look into having something fabricated.

#15 · (Edited)
Tim, There are a few on eBay. Figured you checked but in case you didn't here; Camaro Evaporator Case

Plus there are some Repop's on eBay HERE
HERE
HERE
HERE
...and HERE

Don't know if this is what you need, but maybe you can just replace the part that is broken.

Brett....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.