Lots of threads but still need help - A/C wire help - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Lots of threads but still need help - A/C wire help

I am working on my 68 Camaro RS with factory AC which I inherited recently. I was going through the wiring which is always fun to see what others have done.I think I have figured out most of the wires. I attached a pic of what I am working with.

The red wire with the fuse is the brown wire(I had to replace the fuse at the end. I know this powers the AC motor and goes on the spade connector closest to the firewall
The orange, light blue and yellow wires are all for the fan speed and go into the resistor although I am not sure the order yet.
The question I have is the purple one in the bundle. This wire goes into the passenger side fender and when I originally got the car was hooked up to the fan motor relay. I know the purple wire which goes down the fire wall is for the starter which is attached and working fine.

I am reading different things on this wire. I have my repair guide on the way, but was wondering if I could get direction on this purple wire.
I did not think it would be that hard to find an engine bay pic on google, but I dare you to find one to help with wire identification
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	232145  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Lots of threads but still need help - A/C wire help

Big job you have in your hands, but, you'll get there.
This may help as it is a sheet of RPO C60 wiring from the 68 AIM
Purple wire for solenoid S terminal, blower should get orange wire(?).
Geez, welcome to the Club - correct year and you will be asked for pictures, make them small 480 X 640?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	68 AC Wiring.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	232147  

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Doing a good job is like peeing in your dark pants … you get a warm feeling, but nobody notices
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Thanks! What I did not realize until last night when I was trying to match up the wires was I am missing the resistor. I have the relay but the resistor which should be next to it is gone. So its makes more sense why I had more wires than plugs.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 03:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

from the diagram it seems the orange with the fuse goes to the relay and a 12 ga purple goes from the relay to the blower motor. I don't recall ever working on a GM with anything but orange at the motor but I didn't work on many this old with A/C.

jeff
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 08:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
from the diagram it seems the orange with the fuse goes to the relay and a 12 ga purple goes from the relay to the blower motor. I don't recall ever working on a GM with anything but orange at the motor but I didn't work on many this old with A/C.

jeff
Far as I know purple is only for the starting circuit - both the clutch safety switch and the starter, and they are 12 ga. Just my two cents.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 08:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Daryl

Garage

Here’s a picture of the wiring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	50D25498-A403-49D8-B1AD-AC78741713F2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	232157  

1968 Rally Sport
302ci
Muncie M22
Moser 12-bolt 4:10 posi
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 07:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Where does the purple wire originate from? Ac harness or at the firewall (under the master cylinder. Follow the purple wire back to the firewall plug and see what slot it is in. Please post any pictures.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 07:38 AM
Senior Tech
Dale

Purple wire is the power for the blower motor. Purple is attached to the blower relay. Power is supplied to the relay from the fuse you repaired (black wire from horn relay). Dark blue must be attached to the relay for anything other than high speed speed fan operation. High speed wire is the orange wire from dash control. It also is attached to the relay. And the relay needs a ground.
There will also be a ground wire at the blower, it will go to a chassis ground, if I remember right, somewhere near where the AC harness goes through the firewall.

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 09:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4570 View Post
Far as I know purple is only for the starting circuit - both the clutch safety switch and the starter, and they are 12 ga. Just my two cents.
He has a purple on the starter and says it works. The diagram show a 12 ga purple from the relay which he said it was hooked to. One thing I know for sure, electricity don't care what color the wire is.

Jeff
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 20, 09:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69rs View Post
he has a purple on the starter and says it works. The diagram show a 12 ga purple from the relay which he said it was hooked to. One thing i know for sure, electricity don't care what color the wire is.

Jeff
10-4

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode