Team Camaro Tech banner

4l60e in a 71?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  camcojb 
#1 ·
Will a 4l60e fit in a 71 camaro? And what are the gear ratios, and what is the advatage over a 700r4? And what would be better?

Thanks
Smitty

#2 ·
It will fit in your car. You need to make a crossmember (or modify existing one), shorten and re-balance driveshaft, and I think a different yoke. The 700's were changed to 4L60's in the early nineties I believe (just a name change); the "E" designates electronice control for shifting (needs a computer).

I run a 2004R in my 72. MUCH easier swap; use a stock TH400 crossmember and it bolts in. Same yoke, driveline length, etc. It can also be modified to handle a lot more power than the 4L60's. Has the same overdrive (.67) but less rpm drop between gears than a 700 (4L60).

Talk to Bruce at Performance for more info. He built mine and it works perfect.
www.ptsnctb.com

#4 ·
Several companies make a kit for the "E" series transmission that let them work without the computer. The cost less than $150 and will make you swap work.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

Member of the "unwanted" 3rd Gen group.

#6 ·
Rick,

That's about right. Bruce is a "stand-up" guy; rare to find these days. He definitely stands behind his products and has an excellent reputation with the racers in the Sacramento area. My opinion is it's better to deal with an honest vendor and get what you pay for; it's a lot cheaper in the long run to spend a little more and get a trans that won't break than to buy a cheaper unit and keep replacing it.

Jody

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.