Team Camaro Tech banner

Crank thrust surface wear and TQ converters

586 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Everett#2390 
#1 ·
As you guys probably already know I'm in the process of an unexpected rebuild of my 383 due to a broken piston. During the tear down I noticed the thrust surface of the rear main bearing was badly worn and the thrust flange on the crank is grooved.

I read a really good aera article that BillK posted a link to in an older thread that addressed possible causes and how to fix the engine, but I'm stuck on what to do next with the transmission.

When I put the engine and trans back together last winter I noticed that there was only 1/16" gap between the flex plate and the converter pads. When I put the converter in this trans new two summers ago that gap was closer to 1/4". Now I'm wondering if the converter (B&M 3000 RPM Holeshot) could be ballooning and putting excessive forward pressure on the crank.

Does anyone know how to test or measure a converter to see if it has ballooned?

Thanks

#2 ·
Eric,
If the converter is at all suspect, send it back to B & M and have them rebuild it. Its a lot cheaper than ruining an engine or trans.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

#3 ·
Thanks Bill. I pulled the tranny front pump tonight and looked at the gears and pump case face for signs of wear. There was some light scoring (not enough to worry about) but that indicates to me that there was definately some pressure put on those gears. Since I had the pump case resurfaced when I rebuilt the trans last winter, this wear has happened over only this last summer.

Time for a new converter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.