EDIT MOMO Steering Wheel Project - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
EDIT MOMO Steering Wheel Project

I've looked and looked, and since I love Pictorial "How-To's I decided to put together a thread with my good (and bad) experiences with swapping out a stock steering wheel in my '69 Camaro and installing a MOMO steering wheel. A lot of what I have pictured here could probably apply to any aftermarket wheel. I just hope this thread helps those who might get the itch to do something similar.

I'm not a purist, so I figured I'd get that out of the way. I'm modifying my '69 Camaro to suit my likes and I love it so far. One thing that I can't stand is the skinny steering wheel and its diameter. So one project that had to get done was swapping out the standard steering wheel for something I liked. After a lot of looking, I decided on a MOMO D36 Vintage wheel, and I set about buying the components needed to mount it properly. Here's the wheel, I got from a source in the UK that sells vintage and new wheels. I didn't want to go too small, and the 365mm wheel was perfect.

Thats the bare wheel.

Dressed for my car!

The first step whenever anything electrical is involved... I disconnect the battery. I have one of those battery terminal gadgets where its as easy as a few turns on the knob and you won't get zapped!

After several people told me to stick with a MOMO adapter (expensive) as opposed to a rigid billet adapter (cheaper) I did go with the MOMO crushable adapter.

Here's a composite of parts I collected for the project:

Removing the old X44 standard wheel isn't a big deal, just get yourself a wheel puller kit (HF), remove the four (4) philips screws to get the "boomerang" off and get access to the retaining bolt.

A few turns and the wheel should "pop"and I should note that I left then on but loosened it to near the end of the shaft. Helps center the puller cone I think.

Getting to this point is easy, probably 20 minutes if that if you have the tools ready to go nearby. I figured I'd do a quick hub mount to make sure everything lines up.

Now the fun begins, trying to work out the horn wiring. LOL this is where I ran into a dilemma. The stock X44 steering wheel has a nylon tube which has a contact at the inner side, a spring that slides into the tube, and its somehow retained in the tube by a nylon collar through which the two switches are wired to a sort of rivet.

The aftermarket horn kits don't really get into alternative wiring. I was advised to order a new wire from Summit... its made by IDidIt.

Note that the long black tube has a outer "key" which is obviously made for later model Chevy columns that have a "push, twist, and lock" tube.

So this is where I'm a little stumped as to how to wire the horn. I could put the steering wheel on and worry about it later when I have to have the car inspected in the Spring, but since the Beast is garage bound because of weather... I'm looking for some advise on how to get the horn wired properly. So anyone wants to chime in with a workable solution, I'm all ears. If we get this right, perhaps the mods will make it a sticky and lord knows I've seen plenty of questions asked about the tube and connection, but haven't seen a thorough answer other than "I figured something out" or "I just left the horn wiring out" LOL. So bring it on guys. I'll post up more pictures as I get it sorted out (with your help).

Mike

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 06:15 PM
John

Garage
Re: MOMO Steering Wheel Project

The raised key slides into slots in the turn signal cam and twists to lock in place.

Like this but using the wire instead of the pin.

Ok now I see you turn signal return doesn't have the slots. Don't know why because I believe 1st Gens all did.

Drill 2 holes into the sides and cut a couple slots so you can push and turn the retainer into place

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Can't edit after 20 minutes... realized I left out a close-up of the bottom of the button with its three (3) contacts!

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 07:49 PM
John

Garage

Or just change the horn contact ring.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 17, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

John... A combination of a family emergency and me also getting under the weather stopped me cold. Everybody's nearly back to normal, so I might take a crack at your first suggestion... drill a couple of holes and use a jewelers file to replicate a slotted tube. The nylon is old, so it may be brittle and just crack. We'll have to see about that.

On the second approach, I'm not familiar with the removal/replacement of the piece. It looks like there's a ring around the shaft that locks it in place? Any suggestions on how to get the ring off without wrecking anything? Do I need some kind of special tool? If it just screwed on/off I would just order a slotted one, I assume they're all pretty much standard?

Mike

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 17, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

We finally got some warmer weather up here in Massachusetts, so with the aid of two space heaters, I got back in the garage this weekend to try and finish off this project.

I decided that rather than mess with trying to use a Dremel to grind a "J-shaped" notch in the original Directional Cam Canceling piece, I ordered a new one and figured I'd just swap it out.

Picture pretty much explains the problem. The new horn switch has a wire lead that has a "cam" on it that wouldn't go into the old unit, but easily locks in the new one. The next step is getting the old piece out. Need a special tool for that.

The tool I got on Amazon for less than $10.00 and its basically a press. You thread the end onto the steering wheel shaft, snug it up and start turning the wing nut clockwise which presses the horseshoe section against the cam retainer disc. Buried under the cam canceling part is a spring that allows the assembly to be moved towards the bottom of the steering column. You just need to move it about 1/4" to expose the ring clamp that is fitted into a groove on the steering shaft.

Digging the spring out of the groove is best bone with a couple of small flat blade screwdrivers. Pop one end out, then leave that screwdriver in place while you pop the other end out, then shimmy it up onto the shaft. Not very difficult to remove, but don't use pliers or anything that would overly stretch the spring or you'll have to go find a new one.

The retainer plate comes off and you should look at the ring area. Note the teeth, there's a section that has a wider open are so you know that the piece only goes on one way, matching the steering shaft.

Once you've removed the old directional signal cam piece, simply place the new one in place with the tube in the same general area. Once thats done, replace the two plates, put the spring on the shaft., and use the tool again to press the assembly back to the point where the spring can be slid down the shaft and locked in place... then remove the tool.

At this point, I inserted the horn lead into the tube and gently pushed then twisted it into the locked position.

Next I installed the MOMO hub, and tightened everything up. Next up I installed the MOMO rubber hub boot which can be lifted easily enough if you want to check the lead.

So I then threaded the wire through the center opening in the steering wheel, and added the contact ring that retains the bare horn button assembly. The lead connects to the center tab on the switch and thats all there is to wiring... its a one-wire setup.

Now it gets easy LOL... just line up the steering wheel with the hub, and insert the hex-head screws and tighten with an allen wrench. All thats left to do is apply the "SS" button, and for that, all I did was use some 3M black double-sided trim tape to ensure that it'll stay on regardless of temperature, but if need be, I can always use some goof-off to get it off.

Looks pretty good huh? LOL... I'm very happy with the look and feel. Actually took the beast out for a ride after a good warmup and the wheel feels so much better than the skinny bus-like stocker. When I get my quick-steering box installed its going to be great!

I tried to get pix of all the important steps, but sure... I might've missed something LOL, so feel free to ask questions. Maybe the mods will consider this as a "Sticky" candidate... I did the thread to help others who might be thinking about installing an aftermarket wheel like a MOMO, Nardi, or one of the many others available. Hope you enjoyed the adventure!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 17, 06:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Great write up Mike. I too have a MOMO and love it! I have no horn because I couldn't figure it out. I'll have to get back in there and with this thread see if I can fix it. Someday...
Thanks.

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBS6T8 View Post
Great write up Mike. I too have a MOMO and love it! I have no horn because I couldn't figure it out. I'll have to get back in there and with this thread see if I can fix it. Someday...
Thanks.
Rob... Thanks! I was stumped as well with the original non-bayonet locking horn contact. I finally ordered a new one with the bayonet slot, and it all went together in minutes. The tedious part is you do have to pull the wheel, but if you have the puller and the press tool... its not bad at all. I ordered the IDidIt bayonet plunger and thats basically all there is to the horn contact, one wire. If the write up helps you out then it was worth doing it!-Mike

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 06:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I was out there today working on the FiTech tuning and lookd into it. First and foremost, every time I drove the car I could here some contacts opening and closing as I turned the wheel. I took the steering wheel off today and noticed it was coming from the horn wire lead? I wrapped it in electrical tape back in the day as to not make any contact with metal. But when I pull on it, it feels as though there is a spring attached to it down below. I was paying attention to the retainer plate. I'll have to snap a few pics this weekend and see if you can point me in the right direction.

My slooow build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 17, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

The mods have given me permission to edit, so I'm rebuilding the thread on the fly and saving it to my desktop. I had the first post edited but I keep getting a "Database Error" when I try to save it. Waiting to hear back from Brian on how to fix this. Interestingly enough, I am able to edit this post and upload the screen shot of the error Im getting as long as I use the site's hosting and not IMGUR.

See the error message below I get when I try to save the post with corrected IMGUR images.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 1.55.22 PM.png
Views:	23
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	198441  

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 17, 12:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I see that Photobucket has gotten the pics in this thread too.

My slooow build thread
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 17, 08:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

57 Vette I cannot see any of your pictures, can you tell me how to?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 17, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
I see that Photobucket has gotten the pics in this thread too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rls8836 View Post
57 Vette I cannot see any of your pictures, can you tell me how to?
Guys... I am desperately trying to get these re-done. What is totally weird is that _I_ am seeing the pictures somehow. I've been given an "Edit" pass, and I can see that the images I'm seeing are still hosted by PB. I am trying to substitute IMGUR-hosted pix, but while I can preview them... I can't save them... yet. Brian and his minions are working on it but I'll keep trying.

Worst case is I do a new thread with all the correct image links and they delete the old thread.-Mike

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 17, 05:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Patiently waiting!!
I have to look into the PB thing myself. That's who I was using and now they want money?

My slooow build thread
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 17, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Patiently waiting!!
I have to look into the PB thing myself. That's who I was using and now they want money?
Apparently the mods haven't moved my thread into the edit section yet. Its been quite some time that I'm waiting, I still have not seen any well-defined rationale as to why this is the only automotive forum that doesn't allow infinite editing. I could've had this done and updated over a month ago.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
adapter hub, horn button, momo, steering wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode