Team Camaro Tech banner

Headers

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  toddoky 
#1 ·
I tried searching but not having much luck.

I have a 69 Camaro, SB 350 with a 200r4 trans, power steering, and factory A/C.

I currently have a set of Hooker super comp headers on however, the drivers side sits below the frame rail and the car is lower than stock. This side does drag occasionally. The collector at the end of the header has one of the bolt holes straight down, reducing clearance even more. After a couple years of use this bolt at the collector has been ground down a bit and bent up and at this point the gasket is leaking. The only way to undo this bolt is to cut it off and since the header flange is bent, I can not re-bolt it on anyway. I might be able to straighten the flange, but would end up with the same dragging issue anyway.

Anyway, what I want to find out who has a better fitting set of headers for my application. The Hookers fit well except the driver side hangs below the frame.

Thanks

#2 ·
There will not be any better fitting headers if you are going to stick with long tube. This is because the headers are all made to fit a standard ride height car. You have customized your car and it will require either block hugger headers, a set of factory original two and a half inch outlet cast iron rams horn exhaust manifolds (that flow as well as any headers on the market up 'til 4,600 RPM), or a set of custom made long tube headers to fit your ride height.

I would cut off the prone to leaking three bolt exhaust flanges and instead weld on some V-band flanges, then use a V-band clamp to make it leak proof and a bit smaller in diameter. If you can weld I would also consider converting my off the shelf universal fit headers over to custom tubes by welding in pieces of J tubes to raise the collector up under the car and use oval tubing instead of round if you have bigger than stock pipes.

Larger Dave

#3 ·
If your application is a stockish 350 I would go with a set of Thorley Tri-ys if you want to change them. I had them on a 69 350 with a manual trans and p/s and they fit great and did not hang down. It did not have a/c so you should check on that first. Summit has them.

#5 ·
You can simply cut off the flange, install a reducer to your exhaust size, and install band clamps with the bolts to the side.

#6 ·
If your headers are coated then my suggestion is not for you.

I was able to heat the driver side at the lower bends while applying pressure at the collector flange with a floor jack to bend the header upward. Afterwards I removed the header and repainted, it all worked out pretty well. This was on Hooker Comps not the Supers which I think are a bit heavier tubing.

#8 ·
Hooked developed and released a new set of headers for your application last year that specifically address the fitment/compatibility characteristics you mention, especially the ground clearance. Send me a PM if you'd like more info or want to see fitment photos.

#11 ·
I have not done this to mine. (probably should) I have 15 year old Hooker's that hang low. I know there have been people on this board that have done it.

You can always try it and if you don't like it, you were going to buy new headers anyway. :)

#10 ·
I'll probably get a ration for this, but I replaced long tubes with flowtech mid length headers because I wanted to get as low as feasible for autocrossing and regular commuting. These things gave me gobs of usable torque I never had with the long tubes.
They were a hassle to install with a manual trans, but they really woke the car up and ground clearance is not an issue with 3" drop all around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.