Team Camaro Tech banner

Arggh! Headers and too tall head bolts - BBC

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  DT 
#1 ·
Put the motor together and went to test fit the Hooker 2457 headers on the 427 and found the Chevrolet Performance head bolts were too tall and I couldn't get the headers in until I took the bolts out, one by one. The heads on these bolts are too high, I'm surprised because I ordered them from Summit and believed that they were stock replacement, but apparently not. I don't want to spend time grinding off the headers flanges nor the bolts. The bolts have washers which I took off but still a ways to go. So, I'll have to search out used stock head bolts, 4 on each side the lower ones closest to the block. Unless someone has any other ideas?

#3 ·
I had the same thing happen to me with my 496. Edelbrock aluminum heads and Arp head bolts. I have the same headers and had to grind the flanges. I held the header in place the best I could and had someone mark the flange for each bolt. I wasn't about to grind the entire flange.

#7 ·
ARP bolts and Hooker 2457 will NOT work unless you grind the flanges or use the stock bolts. A pencil grinder makes this an easy fix. A Dremel will take a little longer. You only have to gring the area where the heads of the bolts hit the flange, not the entire flange. One word of CAUTION, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. The fine metal particles go all over the place and could perhaps get in your eyes!!

#5 ·
I forgot to mention that they are stock heads. Will search out 8 stock little bolts from the machine shop and the heavy Chevy guys in this area. If can't come up with anything will be grinding away.....

#6 ·
[QUOTE=Lawrence454;3044170]Every header has a note that says "won't fit aluminum heads."

You just have to test fit on the engine stand and grind for clearance. It's a pain if you already have the engine in the car.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember reading that statement when I put my hookers on, BUT then maybe I didn't read the directions. cant remember:D

#10 ·
[QUOTE=Lawrence454;3044170]Every header has a note that says "won't fit aluminum heads."

You just have to test fit on the engine stand and grind for clearance. It's a pain if you already have the engine in the car.
I don't remember reading that statement when I put my hookers on, BUT then maybe I didn't read the directions. cant remember:D[/QUOTE]
You didn't see any statement like that if you bought the 2457HKR because I still have my instructions and I kept the box to put my old headers in and I can't find that statement anywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.