Team Camaro Tech banner

trying to wire up a switch inside my car for elec fans .. help....

800 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  73LT1M6 
#1 ·
i am running the 4th gen fans on my car ... i already have a temp sender that sends a ground to the ecm to turn on the fans at temperature. what i want is to be able to manually turn on the fans at the track with a switch in the car. i bought a painless switch with a lighted indicator. there are 3 pins on the back. ... what i want to do is to tap into the wire coming off the temp sender in the block to the switch.. when i switch it on, it must ground that wire ..

how do i do that while getting the indicator light to function when the switch is on and not sending power to the temp sender??

probably a simple answer to this, but cannot figure it out.

any ideas?

#2 ·
These lighted switches are generally used for switching the hot side with a ground terminal for the light. What you need to do is run a 12 volt positive lead to the ground terminal on the switch. These switches usually have plastic cases so it won't ground to the dash and short. Now you want to find a good ground under the dash and run a lead from there to the line or source terminal on the switch. This would be the terminal that normaly gets the hot lead from the fuseblock. The remaining terminal on the switch gets wired to the temp sensor. This should work as long as the switch uses a bulb and not an LED (light emitting diode). If the switch has an LED you'll have to use the switch (wired normally) to close a relay and use the relay contacts to ground your temp sensor.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

[This message has been edited by 1 2RUN (edited 10-06-2002).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.