Team Camaro Tech - View Single Post - 383 Engine-Initial Inquiry-Phase 1 for Me
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old May 14th, 15, 06:12 PM
kookykrispy
Senior Tech
Joe

Re: 383 Engine-Initial Inquiry-Phase 1 for Me

a 383 is: a .030 350 block with a 400 crank (either turn down the main journals of a factory 400 crank, or buy a new aftermarket crank)

Displacement number increases or decreases with actual amount of overbore.

Cam, heads, pistons, etc. are all choices that are similar to any other small block. Tailor the combustion chamber size and amount of dome or dish in your pistons to achieve your desired compression ratio. There are literally hundreds of cams to choose from. Your cam selection should be based on the overall combo of not only your engine, but your engine car, taking into account rear end gears, vehicle weight, torque convertor and intended driving.

There are many cylinder head options. If your on a tight budget, you could use the heads you already have. For a little more money, consider vortec heads, or for a bit more $ you can get into the entry level aluminum heads. You will want to pay attention to runner and chamber size, and match the heads to your overall goals for the car.

Another option to consider is the 400 small block. For basically the same price as a 383, or maybe even less money, you can build a 400 and enjoy the additional power & torque output from having even more cubic inches.

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 350 4 speed

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome