Team Camaro Tech banner

Wiring Diagram

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  RAGMAN 18 
#1 ·
Anyone else think that the wiring diagram for the 68 Camaro sucks? It leaves a lot up to confusion. Such as showing the negative wires from the battery posts going to just a ground symbol... what's that all about? It should (in theory) show one of them bolting to the block, right? I've seen a few wiring diagrams for other cars and I really think we got ripped off
I also bought the supplemental wiring diagram book... +WOW+, was I ever disappointed. Do we have any other choices out there? I'm a little frustrated and I'm just blowing off a little steam so don't mind the vapors
I just think that the wiring diagram is very confusing, doesn't explain any of the colors and I had to start matching them up to know which is which abbreviation. Then the "connectors", I can't follow them from page to page. I like schematic diagrams but man what would I do for a really nice 3D pictorial right about now. There is a bit of a 3D pictorial on the last page of the wiring diagram book; was that just a teaser? Is there anything else I can purchase? I already have the chassis/service book and the wiring diagram book.

I've been tracking down an electrical problem for a while now and I'm spending more time on the diagram than the problem itself. I tell ya, if I have to make a diagram myself, I will!

Ahhh... I'm vented now! All out of steam and gauges on empty. Well, talk to me people... what do you think?

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree, the diagrams leave much to be desired, but it's still better than nothing! I have taken quite a number of cars/harnesses off and can honestly say the the diagrams do match the cars. But you have to use them with a grain of salt. If the diagram says grounded, then there should be a black wire somewhere close by attaching to the body.

Your suggestion sounds like a good money maker! If someone had some CAD software and created a better diagram with some pics on a CD, I think that a lot of people would buy it. Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

#3 ·
The diagrams were made to industry standard using the correct symbols. Ground is ground whether it be the block, the frame or what have you. You have to remember the books were written for factory/dealer trained technicians. A good electronics course can get you familiar with the symbols and theory behind schematics and DC wiring. But hey I applaud you for even using them, most people think they can't.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth,355/T350,Autometer guage pod

#4 ·
Just like every other GM wiring diagram - once you get used to them, they're no problem. Be glad you don't have a C5 Vette - one of my neighbors wanted the "Shop Manual" for it, and it wound up costing him $440.00, is in four volumes, nearly 2,000 pages, and the electrical section alone is 387 pages, with 48 wiring diagrams and diagnostic logic trees. Yecchhh!

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

#5 ·
Well, I was hoping there was something better out there... I guess not, oh well.
I understand the symbols and electronics, I've have 5 years of electronics and trust me if I ever turned in a schematic as terrible as the 68 wiring diagram, I would have got an F
. Doesn't matter, I'll just follow as best I can for now, but I'm definitely creating my own wiring diagram since I'm sure I'll have to tackle future wiring problems in the future (since I'm never selling my car)
. If anyone is interested, let me know. I plan on color coding and possibly doing a pictorial.

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver

Reactions: loweryjrtransport
#6 ·
I think I got it!!! I'm so close to fixing this electrical problem, it isn't funny, well maybe it is
Okay guys, does anyone know an orange wire should be connected to the back of the instrument cluster anywhere? This is a lone wire with a black / flat connector. It was hooked up right behind my fuel gauge but I don't see anywhere on the diagrams that it should be. It was connected to the bolt coming out of the fuel gauge. It looks like it should be there but if I hook it up, it blows my fuse for my dome / cigarette lighter. When I disconnect it, all works fine, however I don't know of the fuel gauge is working... it seems as if it is though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

P.S. I think the orange wire is for the cigarette lighter, since it's not hooked up (just found an orginal and will buy it next week) and I can't find the wire that goes to it... hmmm I really think that's the one!

Ahhh... this weekend is getting good, except the part I have to re-wire a whole network tomorrow at 5:00am

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver

[This message has been edited by ohayden (edited 05-04-2001).]

#7 ·
ohayden, I don't know how long ago you purshased it, but when I bought mine it was the same. Right know I understand 90% of it and it's written all over for reference. I tell you, it works so good I'm planning to order 67 & 69 in case I happen to own one of those other model cars. If you think I can be of any help on the troubleshooting or tracing a wire, please e-mail me.

#9 ·
I dont know why the cigarette lighter wire would be hooked to the bolt on the fuel gauge, but it sounds like that is the lighter wire. It should be part of the wiring harness. It has to have power all the time so it works without the switch on. I believe you can just add some wire to it and hook to the fuse box. You can buy fuse box terminals that go behind the fuse, so you can connect it to the lighter fuse in your fuse box. I have a 69, but I would think it is the same for 68.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.