Team Camaro Tech banner

need some header moldings- original

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  John68F 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any original convertible header moldings from any first gen Camaro or Firebird? Mine were rusted beyond saving. I will have them redone so its ok if they are poor condition...

#3 ·
#10 ·
I will. I dropped them off last week at the local chrome shop and the price will be $300 he said... six weeks wait time.

#11 ·
I think they look pretty good. Driver quality. No complaints..
They certainly fit a lot better than any repro pieces I could find!

Attachments

#13 ·
The ones mounted on the 68/69 cars from the factory were not painted - they used some kind of plating or etching process for the matte finish. Still have not found anyone who can figure out how to duplicate it, but it certainly was not paint.

On my 69, I actually sanded and filled them in place on the car, and then rattle canned Argent Silver on them for a quick fix. They actually look pretty good, and have held up surprisingly well so far. Looks a lot better than when they were pitted and rusty. I may take another pass at them over the winter and try to find some paint that more closely replicates the original finish, and then hit it with a matte clear coat for additional protection.

#15 ·
My '68 Conv. moldings had some chrome on bottom edge but most was the argent silver finish.
Also have an NOS set I bought a long time ago from dealer. These are chrome but with an argent silver finish over them (which can be cleaned off).

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.