5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 18, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Garage
Top Up or Down

Quick poll,

Do you park car in garage with top up or down? I know if wet, leave it up to keep mold out. Winter - up or down? Summer ??

Curious

1967 RS/SS Vert (non matching)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 18, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: Top Up or Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegoalie View Post
Quick poll,

Do you park car in garage with top up or down? I know if wet, leave it up to keep mold out. Winter - up or down? Summer ??

Curious
Always up....

Don
DjD and DT like this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 18, 10:03 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Always up but occasionally down overnight if I driving or showing the next day.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 18, 10:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

Always up when parked. I always down while driving.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 18, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
ray

x2 on up.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 18, 10:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

Had some interior work done a couple weeks ago. The place that did it specializes in convertible tops, upholstery, etc.

Main top installer asked me, "You don't put your top down much do you?". I asked why he asked because I put the top down regularly but I always put the top back up every night. My top is never down for more than a couple hours at a time and usually only when driving it. He said that is the key to keeping your top looking new. Always put it back up nightly and clean it regularly.

Win!
53Crestline likes this.

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 18, 02:08 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

UP!! Your vinyl top will shrink, YES shrink if left down for sometime. It will be a bear to put back up and an adjustment will be necessary for the J hooks to engage.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 18, 03:07 PM
Kevin

I must be the odd man out here. I put it down in April and it stays down until Oct. Never had an issue with it shrinking. In Oct, I just put it up but not latched. I let it rest there for a day or two before I try to latch it. Always try to do that on a warm day.

It is funny, the rear window is still nice and clear (same top that came with the car 18 years ago), but there is a thin section of rear window by the molding that sees the sun and is UV damaged

Kevin

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 05:15 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

always down when driving (put towel on window when down to protect it ) always up when parked , leave it up in sun to stretch wrinkles for 10-15 minutes before parked in garage
aggiegoalie likes this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 06:41 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I must be the odd man out here. I put it down in April and it stays down until Oct. Never had an issue with it shrinking. In Oct, I just put it up but not latched. I let it rest there for a day or two before I try to latch it. Always try to do that on a warm day.
x2

Kevin

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills69 View Post
always down when driving (put towel on window when down to protect it ) always up when parked , leave it up in sun to stretch wrinkles for 10-15 minutes before parked in garage
I still have the original top on mine, but it needs replacing. The window is all cracked and yellowed pretty badly. It seems to scuff real easy as of the last year or so too for whatever reason.

The towel idea is a great one, one I've not thought of, but one I'll be using from now on, and once I put a new top and window in! Great tip!

Depending upon what I'm doing the next day with it, or what the weather may be like, I store it in both positions to be honest, but more up than down. I also notice it does get a little tight if left in the down position for a number of days in a row.

'68 Convertible, #'s Matching, 327/210HP
LeMans Blue - Deluxe Parchment Interior
Power Steering, Powerglide, 10-Bolt, 2.73:1
Norwood car, Build date 03D

'53 Ford Crestline - Hardtop
Raven Black/Sungate Ivory
239 Flathead V-8
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 08:22 AM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PROZ11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post

It is funny, the rear window is still nice and clear (same top that came with the car 18 years ago), but there is a thin section of rear window by the molding that sees the sun and is UV damaged
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsinshed View Post
x2
x3

Pro Street Z11 clone

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 10:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

This year I left my top down for 2 months due to using a boot for most of the summer.
When I put it back up it was done outdoors in the sun. That takes out most of the major wrinkles and does allow easier latching (though you can latch it otherwise) and any wrinkles that were still there I was able to take out with a Harbor Freight steamer
https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-w...kit-63042.html
I highly recommend this steamer for the cost and performance (and I have tried a few).

Mike

67 LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

The few times I had my top down after I spent $1500 to replace it on my 1991 Z/28, I never left it down due to the plastic window. The top was actual material and not vinyl so the material was unaffected, but the back windows was plastic and I didn't want it ruined like it was when I got it.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Been down once in 10 years when I replaced it. . . . .looks like new with 900 miles on it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode