another pinchweld molding ? - Team Camaro Tech
Convertibles Convertible Q&A's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Richard

another pinchweld molding ?

Hey Guys,

I've been OCD'ing on this problem for a couple of weeks and I think I already know the answer to my question, but here goes. I just had my '68 convt. painted and a new top installed. It's been about a month and the top looks great and is tight, but I noticed yesterday that it is pulling the pinchweld molding up because it is so tight when it is up. This is the same molding that my boot clips on to and the same thing happens when I try to put it on. I took it back to the guy who installed my top and he informed me that it was only 5 or 6 clips holding that molding on. From what I've read on here, most people use 10-12. My question is, can clips be put on without taking the whole top back off? The top man said try some 3M double sided tape to hold it down but that doesn't work. It is the original molding and I also have another set of NOS molding but trying to get around taking the top back off. Thanks in advance.

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 01:13 PM
Kevin

Re: another pinchweld molding ?

When I took my molding off, the factory used these alum strips (like tape) to thicken the pinchweld. This helped the clips hold better. I used alum tape when I re-installed my molding, it worked pretty well, the boot has not pull the moldings off yet Maybe try that?

When you say the top off... you just need to unbolt the 3 trimsticks and the top will come away from the pinchweld area. No need to unstaple anything!

Then when molding is back on, screw the trimsticks back on and done!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Richard

Thanks for the advice Kevin. I guess I need to do some research and find out what trim sticks are and where they are located. I'm assuming on the inside of the car behind these screws in the pic below? This is a pic from the inside of my car looking out the back window. There are 11 of these screws from the right to the left side. I'm not sure if these are factory or not. I can't remember if there were that many before I had the new top put on, or if this is something the upholstery shop did.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 05:40 PM
Kevin

Richard, that treatment is not factory, sorry to say. Looks like they put short screws right into the trim sticks.

So underneath the will liner looks like this (this is the driver side near the qtr window)

This is a pic of the trim sticks (one large one across the back and 2 short ones on either side).

Here is the large screws that hold the sticks in place:

The top, rear window and well liner are stapled to the trim sticks, then the sticks are screwed to the body clamping those 3 layers.

This is what should be underneath everything

I would take a few of those screws out by the qtr window and see what is underneath.

Kevin

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Richard

I will do that today Kevin. Great pics and thanks for explaining how everything goes together. I do remember the upholstery man saying that he had made me a "well liner" that my top will fold down into. I guess that's what the whhite thing with the screws in is called. I don't remember one of those being there, but it's been a long time since I had a new top put on. I will remove those screws today and take a pic and let you know what's under there. I was assuming that if I took those screws around the back liner out, that my top would fall to pieces or I wouldn't be able to get it screwed back in. Now that you've explained it, I'm not as leary about taking them out. It doesn't bother me that it isn't factory, as long as it doesn't leak and my molding will stay down.

I remember him saying that my "drip rail" was fiberglass and was in good shape. He said most of the camaros' he does have metal rails and they are all rusted out. Maybe mine was replaced by P.O.

Richard
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 11:48 AM
Kevin

Drip rail (yellow part) is actually a hard plastic. After 50 years it gets REALLY brittle. Be careful how much pressure you put on it when taking things apart. It will break/chip. You can glue it back to together with epoxy.

Kevin

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 19, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Richard

What are the trim sticks made out of? I think I'm missing some parts or something on my car. This is what it looks like behind the white well liner.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 03:54 PM
Kevin

Richard, the galvanized metal (silverish) are your trim sticks. They are a molded U-shaped metal part, with a fiber/asphalt type insert to hold staples. The top vinyl is stapled into the trim sticks (also call tack strips).

Kevin

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Richard

Aha, I got it now. I've ordered new clips and the correct screws for the trim sticks. I'll know more when I take the trim sticks off, hopefully in a couple of days when this arctic blast moves on through. It was 70 degrees here yesterday and 23 degrees this morning! Yikes! Not used to this in Louisiana.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 01:19 PM
Kevin

Cool. The big screws open up the holes behind in the sheet metal and lose some grip. You may need to hammer the holes closed to get a better screw grip.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode