Is my ride special - Team Camaro Tech
Convertibles Convertible Q&A's

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Is my ride special

Hi I am new to this forum. I bought a 68 camaro convertible off ebay about 10 11 years ago. At the time I really didnt know what options meant what. It had a hood with the levors that was rusted bad, so i got one from year one i think that has the scoop. repainted it burgandy and got stripes down the center. the headlamps had the folding light covers and the stripe over the front nose/ .. It did have a little fender bender before we got it so we decided to get a paint job. It was a ugly gold with ivy green interior/ the engine is and was a 327 w a 4 barrell quardajet and powerglide transmission. there was a ss gas cap and still is and a ss embelem but im not sure if someone put that on there at one time. also i noticed the leaf springs are not single leafs. any info might help/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: Is my ride special

Dave, first welcome to the site. Second, post the VIN and a picture of the trim tag on the firewall. Third, if the engine is original, you have an L30 engine (327/275) with an L35 Powerglide transmission, but not an SS.

There's a suffix code on the front passenger side "pad" on the engine. Clean off any grease and paint (DON'T use sandpaper, but use carb cleaner and/or paint remover) and post a picture of the pad.

There's also a code stamped on the rear axle as well, located on the passenger side axle tube toward the front. You may have to clean 50 years of grease off that too, but post a picture of that code as well. In the meantime, count the number of bolts that hold the rear cover to the axle. It is 10 or 12?

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 06:25 PM
John

Garage

All 1st Gens are Special
69Z28, Rarerat, parkbrau and 6 others like this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 06:42 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

It's yours... so no matter what, it's special to you

68's seem to be the red headed step child ...but I'm partial to them too
Rarerat, parkbrau and 68cvb like this.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 08:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Does your engine have original looking chrome Chevrolet valve covers and chrome air cleaner cover? The SS cars had the chrome engine trim. Another option in the SS package is a 12 bolt differential. To spot a 12 bolt form the rear bumper, look at the lower differential cover bolts. If it’s a 12 bolt you should see two differential cover bolts, a-lined horizontally. If you have the headlight covers, that is in the RS trim package.

Welcome to TC.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08BBE88C-DD4B-41FF-8E02-6D5E79E5D630.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	232219  

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Dave, to the Club. As said, you have the correct year, but then, all 1st Gens are correct.
Just a warning, you'll be asked for pictures of her.
Enjoy your ride as you see fit.
Tip: another one offered in conjunction of those given here, count the hood spring coils - SS's have 28 vs 26 for a standard hood, multi-leaf rear springs, as you said, 12-bolt rear axle cover, AND disc brakes on front axle.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Doing a good job is like peeing in your dark pants … you get a warm feeling, but nobody notices
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

You can have a 68 SS with four wheel drums, so no front discs does not mean it is not an SS.

Dave

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 08:45 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

So again, it is a special car because it's a first gen Camaro. It's also yours! It is possible that you have a 68 RS/SS convertible by your description. Which by all definitions is a SPECIAL car. The 327 if original would not be an SS car, but it could be a transplant. The questions above will help us figure out more about the car. If the car had the original hood with the chrome louvers that would be an indicator of an SS. The SS badging could be legitimate or cloned. If it has a 12 bolt rear axle that would be another indicator of SS heritage. Please provide the requested answers above and we will happily help you solve some of the questions you have about the car.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

ok i uploaded the vin number
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

i dont see my pic but the vin is
124678n445239
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Dave, your car was on ebay back in March of 2008, and it was advertised as a numbers matching 327, so it's not an SS. The seller (scwoovis) didn't state WHICH 327 it had, but from your description, it's the L30 engine. This is a 327 rated at 275HP. The buyer was baiotelecom (which I'm assuming is you?) and it sold for $14,700.

Even at that time it had the SS hood and emblems (see below).

However, on the off chance that the seller didn't know what he had, post a picture of the engine pad stamping and I can verify. If you can't post the picture here, you can send it to me. My email address is in my signature below.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	124678N445239.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	232251  

CRG -
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

wow thats amazing how did you get that, I have been looking for that info forever
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

where is stamp at
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
where is stamp at
On the front passenger side of the block. Click HERE for a picture showing the location of the suffix and partial VIN.

Ed

CRG -
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

I dont see a email address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode