Headers for BBC in 67? - Team Camaro Tech
Exhaust and Headers Discussion related to Exhaust systems and headers.
Sponsored by: Pypes Performance Exhaust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 19, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Headers for BBC in 67?

Suggestions on headers for bbc going into a 67 Camaro with power steering. Engine is a 496, about 670 horsepower with a Tremec 5 speed. I know Lemons are super sweet but super pricey as well. What should the tube size be as well? The car will be 90% street driven. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro with 388 with Edleborck RPM heads, Air Gap, CC 282S, Tremec TKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 19, 12:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Re: Headers for BBC in 67?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
Suggestions on headers for bbc going into a 67 Camaro with power steering. Engine is a 496, about 670 horsepower with a Tremec 5 speed. I know Lemons are super sweet but super pricey as well. What should the tube size be as well? The car will be 90% street driven. Thanks!
Hi LukeSkywalker
I see you have a 67/ Big Engine/ Power Steering/ Tremec.

I Only have done 1 Car, My 69 and there are the Experts Here at T/C that have allot more Experience than I, but I did allot of my Own Research and Planning, Mock-up and the Reasons I chose to go the Route I did.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/18-en...gs-d320-r.html

If Nothing else, some Eye Candy and Keep you from making a Mistake.
Be Careful of where your Power Steering Hoses are to your Primary Tubes.

Here is a Link for my Power Steering Hose "Heat Shield"

https://www.camaros.net/forums/18-en...at-shield.html

And a Power Steering Hose Routing Info Link

https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-br...pics-long.html

Timmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro Brake MC Booster Valves installed 002.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	225849  

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 12:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I decided to bite the bullet and use Hooker Competitions in my car. Got a great deal on them since they were brand new and only used for mock-up, never fired up, and the guy went in a different direction. They came with a small "dent" where the 3rd tube kisses the corner of the PS box. I think I have maybe 1/8" clearance... if that LOL. I used Moroso motor mount shims to lift the engine maybe 1/4" and nothing hits. My PS box is a Saginaw '96 JGC and supposedly the '87 and later boxes are 1/8 wider but I never measured the original.

It seems that all the headers with that tube going up and around are more expensive, and I think the Hooker Super Competition models do that. Lemon headers are very nice but by time you buy the headers and have them coated, you're well over $2K. I've seen Timmy's car up close and personal a few times, and his Doug's headers do basically the same thing the Lemons do at far less expense. My headers have 2" primary tubes and a 3.5" collector, and my car's a '69 with a 461 BBC. The headers route back into a 3" SS PYPES exhaust and Magnaflows with 3" all the way back to the polished tips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hookers-Installed-00.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	225873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Header-CutoutsSz-00.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	225875  

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech

Have heard alot of good feedback about Dougs headers lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode