Cut outs - Team Camaro Tech
Exhaust and Headers Discussion related to Exhaust systems and headers.
Sponsored by: Pypes Performance Exhaust

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Just 1 More
  • 2 Post By 57vette
  • 1 Post By flat tire
  • 1 Post By flat tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Wayne

Garage
Cut outs

Hi all,

I have 2 1/2" pipes and was wondering who makes the best dual electric cut outs. Not looking to weld anything, so the bolt on option will have to do.

Thanks,
RumRunner

RumRunner
68 SS coupe (clone) 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: Cut outs

I have the QUICK TIME with a universal Y pipe that I have had for 3 years. no problem.
I am constantly opening and closing mine and I THINK that is the key to them working properly
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Two types of valve involved in cut outs: the butterfly that rotates about a shaft like the throttle plate in your carb, and the larger more expensive gate valve that moves a plate across the opening to completely seal it. You get no exhaust leaks from a gate valve but they are large (taking up room under the floorboards) and heavy (cast iron body hanging off the end of your headers), and as mentioned more expensive but will last forever.

Big Dave

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 11:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ted

Garage

Check out noweeds. A lot of custom shops will only use their product. Had for 3 years and no issues.

1969 Camaro, 383, M23Z from Jody's Transmission, Ford 9 inch w/3.00 gears, Ridetech tubular A arms, coil overs, 4 Link, Wilwood brakes, No Weeds cutouts, e-stopp, kick panels and package tray from The Shop LLC, TMI seats and one piece headliner, Vintage Air
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 12:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Wayne...

I have a set of 2-1/2" CNC-Billet ones with SS butterflies... been meaning to put them on eBay, sent you a PM. Mike

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeWest View Post
Check out noweeds. A lot of custom shops will only use their product. Had for 3 years and no issues.
$860 for a universal system.. better be the best
flat tire likes this.

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 09:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ted

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
$860 for a universal system.. better be the best

It is. I thought the same thing especially seeing prices that you can buy from Summit or Jegs. Then I talked to some guys that have used those systems. If you don't mind replacing them every couple of years I guess it's cheaper in the short run. The worst story I heard was a guy that had one side stuck open and the other side stuck closed. There are 2 highly respected custom shops in KC (that I have dealt with) that will only use noweeds because they don't want customers coming back with issues from a cheap system. Just FYI.

1969 Camaro, 383, M23Z from Jody's Transmission, Ford 9 inch w/3.00 gears, Ridetech tubular A arms, coil overs, 4 Link, Wilwood brakes, No Weeds cutouts, e-stopp, kick panels and package tray from The Shop LLC, TMI seats and one piece headliner, Vintage Air
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 08:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I've got DMH Performance cutouts on my car... they're on three years and no problems. CAD designed,CNC machined, made right here in the USA. I called, gave Dave my info and order, and he said he'd machine them up the next day, test and ship... and he did. I've had cutouts on several cars over the years, stay away from cast iron setups. You can buy junk on eBay for $100 or so, no clue about quality or reliability. DMH has a 4-year replacement warranty and somebody you can call if you have a question. Moderately priced... I paid just under $400 IIRC.

I agree with Flat Tire... use it or lose it LOL. I have tons of fun at cruise nights and shows as well as on the street with them. And I like the idea that I can open them in increments.
Just 1 More and 68redvert like this.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

not the best picture, but here is the quick time cutouts and all the pipe I bought from summit. I might add there was no welding. I used band clamps. I only had to cut the pipes I bought for tail pipes. nope, no mufflers
57vette likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 04:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Nice Kev... yours are after the X-Pipe, mine's before it. Band clamps worked for me too. I used them only Lightning way back when with the Bassani Headers and Cat Back. If I were a crackerjack welder (NOT) I would V-Band the whole darn system LOL... but actually I have no complaints with the band clamps. I will eventually V-Band the 3-1/2" Collector to the 3-1/2" to 3" Step down bc I want to drop the front another 3/4" and while its not hitting now, that 3/4" might.

How's your clearance?

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

How's your clearance?

I have plenty of clearance. I am running the stock BB springs on the front with an aluminum headed SB and 5 leaves on the rear.

I was going to change mine to be in front of the X pipe, BUT I am getting to old and lazy to be laying on my back on concrete if I don't have to
57vette likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode