Team Camaro Tech banner

Headers for a small block 350 & vortec heads

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CarlC 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I have an 81 SBC motor, vortec heads and power steering. I'm looking for a good set of headers, hopefully long tubes. I don't quite know what I need to look for, aren't the vortec ports different than the ports on standard SBC heads? Any links to some headers that would fit would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

#3 ·
Vortec heads have the exhaust ports raised a tenth of an inch, but not the location of holes that bolt on the cast iron manifolds. as such the top of the port is very close to the edge of the gasket on a standard square port gasket and round tube header. The exhaust gasket will burn out if the tube doesn't match the port's location.

As Dave mentioned above Chevy engineers also moved the spark plug location to bring it closer to the exhaust valve. As such, with large tube headers, you are going to get into burnt boot issues. Recommend ceramic boots on all plugs. If your thinking of a primary tube size bigger than a 1¾ inch tube think about changing the head to something like World Products Sportsman II. It matches the Vortec's low lift flow rates and doesn't have the high lift spring retainer to guide top restriction.

There are several manufactures that make headers for a third gen Camaro that fit Vortec heads and can also fit into your car body. But (there is always a but) they will have air injection tubes that drive up the price of the header and make you cut them off to weld shut the holes.

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.