Team Camaro Tech banner

new exhaust system for 69 camaro

5K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  flat tire 
#1 ·
hi guys got a question on exhaust for 69 camaro

so when I got the car I had to get an exhaust system that would connect to the stock manifold - so I went with the pypes system - I think I have the middle range mufflers

I do not like the sound I am getting - I want more of that thrump and rumble sound - true muscle car sound.

I have now decided to add headers and thinking about getting a different exhaust as well

I need some help as to what direction to go for both headers and exhaust to get that thrumb and rumble sound

I know a cam can help too but I dont want to add that right now

thanks

#3 ·
hi guys got a question on exhaust for 69 camaro

so when I got the car I had to get an exhaust system that would connect to the stock manifold - so I went with the pypes system - I think I have the middle range mufflers

I do not like the sound I am getting - I want more of that thrump and rumble sound - true muscle car sound.

I have now decided to add headers and thinking about getting a different exhaust as well

I need some help as to what direction to go for both headers and exhaust to get that thrumb and rumble sound

I know a cam can help too but I dont want to add that right now

thanks

Do you just want a louder muffler or are you looking to actually change the way your engine sounds? Mufflers cannot give you that rumpety rump sound (is that even a word?), cam and compression does. Flowmaster mufflers are popular because they use a fixed baffle or chamber inside the muffler without any packing. That allows the lower bass tones to come through, but be aware that some people find the associated drone that can come with 40 series FM's a bit much at times. The Pypes system you have is a good one, maybe just change the mufflers without getting a whole new system. There are some good sound clips to listen to here- https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/

#4 ·
Adam!

I’m in the same boat my man.

I did a little research myself and decided to save up for some Doug Thorley headers.

I originally defaulted to flowmasters and called their tech line. For the muscle car sound the kind gentleman recommended original 40s for the “sound” I was looking for. Classic muscle car but not gonna shatter windows as I drive around.

So then I called Doug Thorley. Their tech had his opinion on flow master, and recommend black widow mufflers.

Needles to say, I’m not adding a cam quote yet either, but I’m going with black widow or the time being.

I’m sure you can give their techs a call for your exact application.

Good luck!

Here is a link to their sound clips:

https://www.blackwidowexhaust.com/listen/

#5 ·
I installed Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers on my 350 w/PS last week. The headers were on back order since January and I just received two weeks ago. I'm currently installing the Pype's exhaust X-pipe with Violator mufflers. Hopefully I'll have time this week to finish. I had Flowmaster 40's on before, but the sound never grew on me (very hollow sounding). I'll try to post a video once I have the exhaust in...I did run it on open headers and it sounded great :)!

Attachments

#7 ·
I built my exhaust using PYPES 3" SS X-Pipe setup, started with the VIOLATORS... but I couldn't take the noise. Switched to Magnaflows and its really very tolerable considering its a 461 big block with a cam. Its also amazing how the length of the exhaust changes things. I've had dumps at the axle (very loud), exhaust ends behind the wheel (semi-loud), and tips straight out the back (pretty civilized).

#8 ·
I'm kind of...in the same boat. I have a 69 carb. sbc with an exhaust that has been on my car forever and has had several different motors through the years. I run a 4speed with 373 gears so I'm able to pull off a bigger size Hydraulic cam. and I love "old school" styling. However, I'm getting older and wanting to change up my exhaust which is a simple header system with offset turbo mufflers about midway out to rear bumper. WITH ALL of that being said.
I've been reading and study different styles and exhaust. I'm thinking I want a different look and thinking about tail pipes 45cut behind rear wheels not out to rear bumper. But I can't find any clear cut answers for...

Installing an H pipe or X pipe SOUND or Real Advantages for a Street Car ???
Advantages or SOUND for a Transverse Muffler compared to twin mufflers under the seat area ???

Muscle Car "old school" is how I roll but I am getting older {maybe wiser}. I don't want the car to be hateful inside or to nasty to drive on interstate out of town to shows.

#11 ·
I loved it, it sounded great. I had this whole setup on a 383 roughly 425hp and I'm building a motor in the 600-650hp range so, changed it to a full stainless Dynatech stepped header and 3" magna flow system. I probably didn't need to but, I wanted to :grin2:

#12 ·
I have the 2 1/2 Pypes system with an x pipe, I tried a lot of mufflers, the Borla was the ticket

#13 ·
I have the dynatech headers and a 2.5" stainless magnaflow system with a X pipe. It dumped behind the back wheel like a Nova. I got a set of Pypes polished tips and welded them on to go out the rear. Dumping down just stirred up dust from the ground/ shop floor.

#15 · (Edited)
Adam,
Go with what Dave (EVL SS) has. Buy his system. The Flowmaster 40's have a good, loud rumble. I had them on mine. But since I'm older now, they were too loud for my liking and I wanted something closer to stock. I think you will be happy with his setup.

Plus, it will help others if you went into your profile and filled out your signature and location. You can put in your signature your engine size and any other specifics of your build (ie; Year, Cubic Inch, Auto/4-Speed). This way, you don't have to list it every time you have issues or questions. It will be there every post.

Brett......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.