Team Camaro Tech banner

Car show experts

14K views 95 replies 45 participants last post by  SoCal805 
#1 ·
I love going to a car show and someone telling me about my car. Today I had a guy tell me my car was not a real Z because I have the wrong tail lights, and my rear bumper guards were too big. I asked him what made mine wrong. He then puffed up and said that a Z would not come with the reverse lights in the tail light. He then pointed at a 69 a few cars down and said that it was a real Z and mine was not. I just laughed. Said thanks for the info. I already knew the car he was talking about was a clone. So he walked to the other car with his chest still puffed up and his buddy and kid with him. Talking about my car the whole walk. He started talking to the other guy. I about fell over laughing when the guy told him that his car was not a real Z. He told him if he wanted to see a real Z to go look at my car. It was truely priceless to see the loom on his face when he looked back at me. I gave him a thumbs up. He never came back over. Dam it made me feel good.

#4 ·
Always that one guy. I was at the show a few years ago and entered the all original class. Had a guy tell me I had a fake SS because it didn’t have a spoiler. He also told me that my short center caps only came on corvettes. I did get a second place award next to a corvette. Kind of turned me off to those shows. I tend to stick to the gm or camaro only shows. Less know it alls. He did leave in an old dodge mini van though.

#5 ·
Got to love the fake wood grain on the old caravan. I don't go for the trophies, more for the looks I get and the smiles on others faces. I let people get in it , and take pictures. Lots of questions. More lovers of the old cars than the clueless experts though.

Reactions: Smitty68
#7 ·
My cars apart so no shows for me. What I get is half the people that see it want to tell me how to put it back together, It's a 76 B with a 712 interior. I've had people tell me to lose the vinyl top and the woodgrain dash. I'm going to get a sign that says " When your name is on the title"

Jeff

#9 ·
Wife & I were at a show a few years ago with our 68Z, some guy was checking our car out. He was checking it for quite a while, as he walked away he turned his head & said '" your sway bar is too small." Pizzed me off but wife said look at it this way took him a long time to find something.

#11 · (Edited)
Yes Beth. I have no problem letting people take pictures with it. This crazy dude wanted a pic with it last week. I think he is even from Tennessee. Pretty cool guy to talk to. He Honistly seems to know his stuff.

Attachments

Reactions: 350sshugger
#12 ·
maybe I am lucky! BUT I have never received a negative comment about my car.
I was at the western md. street rod roundup today with 635 cars there .
just guessing there was 75-90 people that asked about my car and all gave me a compliment. off all the cars that that wanted to be judged I brought home a top 15 award

#15 ·
Two weeks ago I saw a 68 SS 327, I didn't have the heart to break his.
Some guys already know, some guys were taken in the buy and don't need to be reminded.

Then a FB friend of mine tells a guy his SS 350 was born an I6. He thought he had a numbers matching SS Camaro, except his Trim tag said otherwise.
She said he wasnt pissed, he still had a very nice Camaro. I bet his *** was steamin inside.

#18 ·
Yes he still has a show called Gears on TV. It is Stacy David. A guy from the show Counting Cars was around too. Horny Mike. He seems to be a fun guy to be around, but hard to understand the horns.

#20 ·
Yea I said fun to be around, not smart.you had a car in the Counts shop at one time didn't you?

#21 ·
Yep. Ryan painted a car for me. A buddy mine manages the shop and I’m ok with Danny.

People forget. The show is fake. It’s entertainment nothing more. They pull numbers out of their a**

#22 ·
Yea, Fantom Works is local to me. It is a big shop, but I'm not impressed with the cars I have seen come out of the shop. I have dealt with the owner of the shop. Defiantly all acting. Most of the locals don't use the shop.

#23 ·
A little surprised by this comment about Fantom Works but maybe it's my lack of knowledge on the subject cars. I will say I wasn't impressed with the 69 Camaros they have done. If he really collects the numbers I hear on TV the people paying must be crazy wealthy.

Jeff

#25 ·
Yes the show is for entertainment. Mostly the entertainment of the people who don't know its not all real. If you see these cars in person it is very obvious the quality of the work. There are some good bodymen there, but they can only do what they are aloud to do. I would put my garage paint job up against those in the show any day.

#26 ·
The phantom works guy kills me with his braking tests, he is fascinated with them

Reactions: kv67ssrs
#28 ·
I say build " your" car the way it makes you happy. I put A/C in my car so my daughter's would be more inclined to ride with old dad. So far its working. I had a guy come up to me at the same show and comment. On the A/C. He told me he didn't think the car was a Z because of the air. He looked at the trim tag and. Realized it is a Z. He did his looking before he said anything, and then told me that he had his doubts but they were cleared up after seeing the tag. He asked what was up with the A/C? I turned and pointed at my middle school age daughter sitting behind the car. He then shook my hand and said ... You are a good dad. At no time was he talking crap, he was just confirming what he thought about a Z not coming with A/C. So I say make your car the way it makes you the happiest. Even if its pee green with pink spots.

#31 ·
I about fell over laughing when the guy told him that his car was not a real Z. He told him if he wanted to see a real Z to go look at my car. It was truly priceless to see the look on his face when he looked back at me. I gave him a thumbs up.
OUTSTANDING!!!! I'd loved to have seen that. :thumbsup:

#32 ·
Right after I bought my 68 I took my wife and kids on a drive and stopped at an ice cream shop. We had our ice cream and watched people looking at my car. As we were getting ready to leave a guy walked up and asked what engine I had. I told him a 250. He laughed and said it wasn't a real Camaro.

So I asked him what engine his Camaro had. He walked away.

Some people just can't hide jealousy. I think it was because of him that I built the 250 up as much as I did. It was fun to pull into a car show or even just a parking lot and see every guy turn to look at the car when they heard it pull in. Sounded like something it wasn't, moved like something it wasn't and really threw people off when they took a second to look at it past the shiny blue paint and perfect exterior.

It was fun to watch guys who knew it all walk along a line of Camaros only to stop and scratch their heads trying to figure out why someone would swap in a straight 6 when everyone knows Camaros only came with V8's....

#33 ·
Guys like that at car shows can be annoying for sure. I have enjoyed going to shows much more since I have LS swapped my car. It really eliminates the "that's fake" guys. I put the 376 emblems on the fenders (stole that idea from someone on here) and it is always funny to watch people as they are walking up to my car. They look at the 376, pause a minute and I see them mouth "376?". It's interesting to try to over hear them trying to figure that part out.

When my car was stock there was way less interaction with people looking at my car. Rarely had anyone ask me questions or want to talk. With the LS in there are always tons of people that either have questions or want to give compliments. Honestly, trophies are ok but after those 30 seconds when you walk up in front of everyone to get it they really don't do anything but collect dust. I enjoy talking to the people at the shows and getting to know fellow car people much more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.