Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Converting from Electric fan to clutch fan help please

67 Camaro with bored and stroked 383 fuel injected SBC.

Hey all, I have a good electric fan, but even in this mild 80 deg weather it runs 200+ in traffic with the AC on. I did add AC - I know this will come as a shock, but it gets a tad warm here in S. FL in the summer, so come August, I know I'm gonna be in trouble.

I have a new wide 2 core (as wide as a 4 core) aluminum radiator that did help - but.

The original stock fan was a dinky 4 blade. I want to upgrade to a larger 6 or 7 blade fan and add a clutch, which of course means a new shroud to fit the larger fan. The main reason I want to upgrade is because of the AC. I think I'd be OK with the original fan and shroud without the AC.

Has anyone else done this, and which clutch (I think I should get the heavy duty clutch), which fan and shroud did you use?

Thanks a ton in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 05:27 AM
John

Garage
Re: Converting from Electric fan to clutch fan help please

Why not just install a better electric fan? Spal Dual fans with a good fan control.
68rs406 and wireboy355 like this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525SOLD at Mecum 2018
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 05:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I'm no mechanic but in the same situation as you. Same exact engine, AC, etc... I recently went from a fixed fan to a clutch fan myself. What I found out about the small block shrouds is for non AC small block (21" wide radiator)
is about 5" deep at the top and the shroud with AC is 7 1/2" deep at the top. So in order to get your clutch fan 1/2 in ans 1/2 out you need to know how far your clutch fan sits. I will be purchasing the aluminum radiator for a BB today from Cold Case and a SB radiator shroud for Ac car. Once I get it installed I will have to see how much of an extension piece I will need to get the clutch fan properly centered. Hope this helps.

!967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic

Last edited by Duneit; Mar 19th, 19 at 05:00 AM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 07:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

210 is not really that hot. That said, I like the u blade with the stock shroud. Make sure you get a fan for your type of belt configuration. ( clockwise, or counter clockwise) . the shroud funnels the air over the engine. The shroud alone may help you out. With a aftermarket A/C you can use a standard or A/C shroud, Mine ran 180 all summer here in humid high 90's traffic. Hard to see, but it is a stock 7 blade, with a stock clutch. 4 core brass and copper radiator with a high volume waterpump and thermostat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0318191013a_1552918541552.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	225731  

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 07:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Several years ago I noticed my Camaro was running hot in traffic. I replaced my stock 4 blade fan with a Hayden 2747 HD clutch and a Hayden (3618) 18 inch six blade fan. This setup worked a little better than the stock fan, but the engine was still running hot in town and the heavy duty clutch never seemed to really engage.

I found an 18 inch 7 blade fan on a 1979 Cadillac in the wrecking yard. I figured if it would cool a 425 CI Cadillac engine it should be able to cool a 327 Chevrolet. The blades have a very aggressive pitch. It bolted right up to the 2747 clutch. I bolted it on the Camaro and when the clutch engaged the belt would squeal. I tried tightening the belt but it still squealed. I tried a new belt with the same results. The combination of the HD clutch with the aggressive fan was just to much for the Camaro's skinny single belt.

I really wanted to run that fan so I located some new pulleys so I could run dual belts. This solved the belt squeal problem. This setup is nice and quiet until the clutch engages and the Caddy fan roars. It pulls and ineradicable amount of air through the radiator when engaged and the engine stays cool even on the hottest days. I have been running this setup for several years and have never seen the engine temperature go past 180.

If your going to run a HD clutch you need to match it to a large aggressive fan that will really move some air.

Stock fan:

Report this image

The Hayden 2747 clutch with the Hayden 3618 fan was only slightly better than stock.

Report this image

Here is the Hayden 2747 clutch with 1979 Cadillac 7 blade fan and the dual drive belts. The fans look similar but the difference in air flow when the clutch is engaged is substantial. This setup works great!

Just 1 More likes this.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech

OP

The 67 Camaro with AC had the 23", big block, radiator vs 21". The 23" uses a different fan shroud to cover it......but it is specific to the 327 SB, vs the fan shroud used for BB. BB motors were about 1/2" off center towards passenger side and about 1/2" higher on DS (tilted) to clear steering box. Thus the fan shroud for BB and SB with AC are different. The SB fan opening is centered where the BB one is towards the PS by about 1/2"-1"

I have a 23" radiator (stock not aluminum) in my 67 which I just bought the correct shroud for from Summit (made by OER)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-3893814

I also have a stock fan clutch I recently bought from Ecklers along with the 5 blade (asymmetrical) fan. All fits perfectly and the fan shroud is the same depth as the SB one was. My fan blades are 1/2 in/out of the fan shroud opening. My fan is 17 1/2" and shroud opening is 19"

IDK how your aftermarket aluminum radiator accommodates mounting of the stock fan shroud but the stock radiator has clips on the side tanks the lower "ears" of the fan shroud go in and the one center top hole for the center shroud mounting bolt
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneit View Post
I'm no mechanic but in the same situation as you. Same exact engine, AC, etc... I recently went from a fixed fan to a clutch fan myself. What I found out about the small block shrouds is for non AC small block (21" wide radiator)
is about 5" deep at the top and the shroud with AC is 7 1/2" deep at the top. So in order to get your clutch fan 1/2 in ans 1/2 out you need to know how far your clutch fan sits. I will be purchasing the aluminum radiator for a BB today from Cold Case and a BB radiator shroud. Once I get it installed I will have to see how much of an extension piece I will need to get the clutch fan properly centered. Hope this helps.
Please check into it, The BB shroud fan hole is off center, not sure how it will align with a SB. A BBC in our cars is offset to the pass side and I believe raised a bit. The BB shroud may be very difficult to make work.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
OP

The 67 Camaro with AC had the 23", big block, radiator vs 21". The 23" uses a different fan shroud to cover it......but it is specific to the 327 SB, vs the fan shroud used for BB. BB motors were about 1/2" off center towards passenger side and about 1/2" higher on DS (tilted) to clear steering box. Thus the fan shroud for BB and SB with AC are different. The SB fan opening is centered where the BB one is towards the PS by about 1/2"-1"

I have a 23" radiator (stock not aluminum) in my 67 which I just bought the correct shroud for from Summit (made by OER)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-3893814

I also have a stock fan clutch I recently bought from Ecklers along with the 5 blade (asymmetrical) fan. All fits perfectly and the fan shroud is the same depth as the SB one was. My fan blades are 1/2 in/out of the fan shroud opening. My fan is 17 1/2" and shroud opening is 19"

IDK how your aftermarket aluminum radiator accommodates mounting of the stock fan shroud but the stock radiator has clips on the side tanks the lower "ears" of the fan shroud go in and the one center top hole for the center shroud mounting bolt
Thank you. I was looking at that shroud, but in the photo it looks like the fan opening is offset to the pass side. Is the photo wrong, or is the opening offset?

Thanks
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Why not just install a better electric fan? Spal Dual fans with a good fan control.
I think I'm just done with electric fans. A friend had tons of problems, ended up with like 3 fans, ended up going back to the mechanical fan and it cured everything.

The dual fans would PROBABLY work, but would draw about 50 amps, I'm not sure my alternator would handle that. Also, the dual fans I've looked at are too large for my radiator.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Good info Farm Boy, thank you
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 03:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I talked Cold Case today and they advised me to order the small block shroud for ac applications. Not the BB shroud.

!967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 06:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
ineradicable
unable to be destroyed or removed

Do you California farm boys really talk like that? LOL
fastercar68 likes this.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 06:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblucam View Post

Do you California farm boys really talk like that? LOL

Nah, just a spell check malaprop.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 08:39 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach62 View Post
Thank you. I was looking at that shroud, but in the photo it looks like the fan opening is offset to the pass side. Is the photo wrong, or is the opening offset?

Thanks
If you have a stock type 23" radiator and a 327 this shroud is plug & play. The hole is off center in terms of the shroud...but the shroud mounts so the hole is dead center to the motor which is center in the car

I just put this on a few days ago on my 23" radiator
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 03:17 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Why not retro fit one from a 90's Silverado with a 350 in it or an 80's Camaro/Firebird with a 305 in it that had A/C and run a 160 degree thermostat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode